Thread: Suspension upgrade 3.0T Q5

Default Suspension upgrade 3.0T Q5

Hi All, Have recently purchased a second hand 2013 Q5 3.0T (supercharged 6 petrol) and am wondering if anyone here has done a suspension upgrade on their Q5? It does have a bit of sway for a modern European vehicle. I was wondering if I should just source an OEM SQ5 setup? Any recommendations? Does anybody have any experience with the selectable damping on a Q5. It has Audi Ride Control and whilst I expected it to have some affect on suspension it only appears to affect transmission and steering. I'd like to leverage that for the suspension as well if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I recommend you look elsewhere than the SQ5 set up as it is not really that great.
    Even that really needed better sways and different springs.
    You are fighting against significant forces and the Q5 design and I doubt you will be able to make it into a truly sports sedan - one of the key reasons i went to the RSQ3 from the SQ5- greater agility.
    Suggest also to try a search because there are a couple of SQ5 owners on this forum that invested in alternative suspension components on their SQ5s.
    Dingah

SQ5 gone now RSQ3 Performance + and Tiguan R-Line APR (Stage 1)

Thanks Dingah. I guess I was being pretty realistic in my expectations for what I'd end up with. I have the A5 to play with if I really want an RS5 killer. But that was never really the intention with the Q5. I just want something that doesn't sway and roll like the Queen Mary when you break and accelerate. Which accelerate it can quite adequately. But I have actually put the challenge to the guys at Melbourne Performance Centre to come up with something to meet the brief. I just didn't want to go crazy. Certainly a sharper stance and a stiffer front to back and side to side roll is about all I really need for this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am sure that there will be quite a few forum followers that will interested to learn what you eventually feel is a good option.
    Good luck.
    Dingah

SQ5 gone now RSQ3 Performance + and Tiguan R-Line APR (Stage 1)

I thought I’d provide an update on this thread. I am still doing further research on this. The guys at MPC have given me a few options to consider and I am leaning towards KW height adjustable springs. The Q5 has Audi Ride Control and I did not want to mess with that. With the KW height adjustable springs, the existing Ride Control remains intact and still works as designed, but with a sharper stance and apparently “greater agility in the steering behaviour”. I am not entirely sure whether that’s not just KW marketing spiel. Anyway, what I have found is that there are no simple OEM integrated solutions for electronically adjustable ride height. If you want that you have to pay big bucks for airbag style suspension which comes with its own independent control system. Seems there is a market there for an integrated product!?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro