Thread: S3 model 2017-2018 engine oil consumption?

Default S3 model 2017-2018 engine oil consumption?

Greetings everyone

assuming S3 S-tronic is driven normally, i.e. not in a hoon/boy-racer style but just regular traffic suburban driving and a bunch of freeway on cruise control 100 kmh driving.

What sort of oil consumption do you expect?

I am used to "cooking" model BMW and Mercedes cars which get serviced once per year and I never need to top up the engine oil between services, driving 12,000-15,000 km per year.

What should I expect for 2017-2018 Audi S3 S-tronic ?

thanks!

My A3 Sedan has not burned a single drop of oil in the past two years. Dipstick is always showing the same level each time I check.

I drove it hard from day one.

My old B5 A4 used to drink liters of oil :)
    ------------------------------------

RS3 Sedan | Daytona Grey | RS Performance Package 2 | RS Design Package | Black High Gloss | Carbon Engine Cover | Matrix LED | Sunroof | Full Tint | Unitronic Stage 1+ | Michelin PS4S 245/35 Square

Default thanks but S3 engine is much "hotter" unit?

Quote Originally Posted by Javbomb View Post
    My A3 Sedan has not burned a single drop of oil in the past two years. Dipstick is always showing the same level each time I check.

I drove it hard from day one.

My old B5 A4 used to drink liters of oil :)
    thanks, but 213-220kw S3 has a much more "hot" engine compared to the 2.0 TFSI 140kw A3 engine, and so I thought it is likely to consume more oil even during normal driving i.e. keeping the revs well under 5000 rpm.

Obviously I would be most happy if S3 did not need any oil top-up between its annual services! 8^)

Car used 1/2 litre in first year of use. None in the second.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mrgee For This Useful Post:

acidrider (August 14th, 2017)

I've gone through 1.5 Litres and have 23,000kms on the clock.
    i find it seems to consume more oil if your on long drives in one go like 100kms in 1 trip or over 1.5 hours in one trip.
    Last edited by Spinr33; August 13th, 2017 at 08:53 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Spinr33 For This Useful Post:

each and every car even though its the same can have different oil consumption.

Too many variables ultimately and VAG have a tolerance threshold, they generally do give free to ups at the dealer within the warranty period though...

Ultimately depends how well the engines built, how well its been broken in.
    MY17 8V II S3 Sedan | Audi Exclusive Sepang Blue S Performance Pack 1 Panoramic Roof Matrix Lights Black Optics Ext Mirror Pkg

2012 Golf R 2002 Silvia 200sx S15

9. The Following User Says Thank You to morph. For This Useful Post:

As said by others here, all cars are individual, to a point. An earlier mention of a B5 A4 had it using Ltrs of oil whereas my B5 A4 uses no noticeable amount in 10,000 Km oil change intervals with almost all driving interstate in 300 to 800 Km spurts. With a new car, the most likely cause of high oil consumption will be a piston ring / cylinder surface issue. Allow the fact that there are occasional exceptions to the rule. Best you can logically do in the first two years is keep a detailed log of oil consumed. If it doesn't settle down then get in quick with a warranty question to allow enough time to get some repair action in place before the warranty expires.

One thing that does happen is with very short city driving, crankcase condensation and dilution can occur keeping the level showing full. One good long distance drive can then drop the apparent oil level significantly which is effect evaporation not consumption.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : modified -- B5 Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- 2007 VW Touareg TDI 3.0 with air suspension and lockers-- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

11. The Following User Says Thank You to IchBautAuto For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Spinr33 View Post
    I've gone through 1.5 Litres and have 23,000kms on the clock.
    i find it seems to consume more oil if your on long drives in one go like 100kms in 1 trip or over 1.5 hours in one trip.
    I did well over 50,000 km in my S3 with many, many 150+ km trips. Total additional oil usage was just 500 ml.

I think - as IchBautAuto says - each car is individual.
    Chalk: Mitsubishi Pajero 2008 manual

Cheese: Audi 8V RS3 sedan

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kris14 For This Useful Post: