Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RS3 Brakes - Options, Decisions and Install w/ pics

Default RS3 Brakes - Options, Decisions and Install w/ pics

Hi all,

I thought I'd start a new thread regarding replacement brakes for the RS3. Hoping this helps others looking for options for their own RS3.

After 20,000k's and one track day, the discs were just about at their minimum and pads done too. It was time to start looking at what was available. I knew pretty early on that I was going to the aftermarket route given the issues with noise with the oem discs and pads. While they perform well, I just couldn't get past the noise problems.

As far as discs go, there were a few that I looked into:

1. OEM $$$$
    2. Tom Wrigley (AP) $$$$ http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads...d-rear.315974/
    3. Vagbremtechnic (choice of OEM or AP) $$$ https://www.vagbremtechnic.com/audi/...-2015-onwards/
    4. REVO (Alcon) $$$ http://www.revotechnik.com/product-d...v-disc-upgrade
    5. DBA $$ https://www.dba.com.au/catalogue/online-catalogue/ < search

My criteria was at least as good or better than OEM, suitable for a track day or two, while trying to eliminate noise on the street as much as possible. As far as costs go, I'm under no illusions that this is an expensive car to maintain but getting good value for money is always a bonus. I'm always happy to spend a little extra if the product warrants it.

Ordering AP via Tom Wrigley or Vagbremtechnic meant expensive to ship with the possibility of having to pay customs and GST upon arrival. While no question these were good options, the cost was still very high.

The REVO kit is available locally, and therefore priced more appropriately. I nearly decided to go this route but thought before committing I would check what was available locally. It turns out DBA now list a few part numbers for the RS3, including a Wavey Disc that looks OEM. However, after putting in a phone call and speaking with Glenn (who was very helpful) he suggested I go for their slotted 5000 series 2 piece discs, with out cross drilled due to the track days I intend to do. The part number for the DBA discs I chose is 52844SLVS.

So I figured why not - local aussie company, helpful pre-sales and price was great to boot. I do still have some questions around how the discs will perform but for the price compared to the other options it was worth a shot!

So, on with the order. I ended up with Ferodo DS2500s for pads which will be my first time with this pad. Part no is FCP1664H for these pads, you will need 2 sets or 8 pads total. You will need to short the brake sensor lead as this pad does not have its own sensor!

Parts arrived...

1.jpg

Shiney...

1A.jpg

Old, worn out disc

2.jpg

New pads vs old
    3.jpg

New discs vs old

4.jpg6.jpg

Installed - ready to be wiped down and bedded in

5.jpg

Anyway, right now I've only done a few k's and bedded in the pads as per the instructions provided by Ferodo. Over the next couple of weeks I'll continue to to test them out and come back with a more detailed review on how these perform.

Any questions let me know! Hope this helps others looking for options.

Ta
    Last edited by meds; September 9th, 2017 at 09:28 PM.
    '02 Ebony Black Audi S3 | MTM ECU | MTM Exhaust | 42DraftDesigns Downpipe | BMC CDA | APR R1 DV | Modshack Stage 3 | Red Forge Hose Kit | ECS Dogbone | Dieselgeek Short Shift | H&R Coilovers | ECS Adjustable Tie Arms | Haldex | Staggered 19" Axis Hiro... most mods sold : (

'16 Glacier White Audi RS3

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to meds For This Useful Post:

Bidet (September 8th, 2017), JA04STI (September 8th, 2017), jeph (October 14th, 2017), Nath (September 14th, 2017), Pinata (September 8th, 2017), Rohcub (September 8th, 2017), Seanix (September 8th, 2017)

Hey , Looks great. I need to upgrade my rotors as well.

Thinking of a cheaper route. Let me know how these go and i might get them.

You just got fronts, no rears?

Also, what do you mean by You will need to short the brake sensor lead as this pad does not have its own sensor!? Is the OEM one too long?

Quote Originally Posted by Jren View Post
    Hey , Looks great. I need to upgrade my rotors as well.

Thinking of a cheaper route. Let me know how these go and i might get them.

You just got fronts, no rears?

Also, what do you mean by You will need to short the brake sensor lead as this pad does not have its own sensor!? Is the OEM one too long?
    Just fronts for now, looking at options for rear as we speak.

Re the pads, the Ferodo's do NOT have their own wear sensor and therefore no plug or cable, so I just cut the sensor cable that was originally attached to the OEM pads and and connected the 2 wires together and tied it away neatly, and left it plugged in. Does that make sense? :)

In fact in the last pic you can see the cable (the two stripped ends). These were connected together as to create a loop and then tucked away.
    Last edited by meds; September 8th, 2017 at 03:13 PM.
    '02 Ebony Black Audi S3 | MTM ECU | MTM Exhaust | 42DraftDesigns Downpipe | BMC CDA | APR R1 DV | Modshack Stage 3 | Red Forge Hose Kit | ECS Dogbone | Dieselgeek Short Shift | H&R Coilovers | ECS Adjustable Tie Arms | Haldex | Staggered 19" Axis Hiro... most mods sold : (

Concerning RS braked don't seem to be lasting very long. How much did the replacements cost?
    RS3 Sedan | Nardo Grey | RS Performance Pack 2 | Panoramic Sunroof | Black Optics Style Kit | Darkest Legal Tint | Matrix LED | Roof Wrapped Gloss Black & Gloss Black Badging | Crystal Serum + XO | HG Motorsport Charge Pipe + Diverter Hose & K&N filter | Koya SFO6 | H&R Sport Springs | **Gone**

2018 TTRS Glacier White | Bang & Olufsen | Black Optics | Interior styling | HG Motorsport CAI |

I got a reasonable deal on the discs through a friend $550 each

Pads were $580

Audi will ask around $1000 per disc for the OEM disc give or take

Also, mileage will vary depending on how heavy you get on the brakes. I noticed you have the sedan, your discs are different to PFL wavey rotors right? So your experience may be different to mine.
    Last edited by meds; September 8th, 2017 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by meds View Post
    I got a reasonable deal on the discs through a friend $550 each

Pads were $580

Audi will ask around $1000 per disc for the OEM disc give or take

Also, mileage will vary depending on how heavy you get on the brakes. I noticed you have the sedan, your discs are different to PFL wavey rotors right? So your experience may be different to mine.
    I would hope so, traded up from a stage 2 GTi I got to 80k and brakes were still good, hope sedan lasts a reasonable amount.
    RS3 Sedan | Nardo Grey | RS Performance Pack 2 | Panoramic Sunroof | Black Optics Style Kit | Darkest Legal Tint | Matrix LED | Roof Wrapped Gloss Black & Gloss Black Badging | Crystal Serum + XO | HG Motorsport Charge Pipe + Diverter Hose & K&N filter | Koya SFO6 | H&R Sport Springs | **Gone**

2018 TTRS Glacier White | Bang & Olufsen | Black Optics | Interior styling | HG Motorsport CAI |

Quote Originally Posted by Rohcub View Post
    Concerning RS braked don't seem to be lasting very long. How much did the replacements cost?

so i just got a quote sent to me for the fronts from audi here in sydney as i was bored at work and also curious and here are the details

8V0615301Q BRAKE DISC 2 2 946.80 946.80 10.00% 1893.602
    8V0698151K BRK LINING 1 1 1213.73 1213.73 10.00% 1213.73

total + GST ontop was 3418

From the UK the price is 906.00 for OEM rotors and pads.

Shipping to Australia is 165.00.

Either pay import duty or have them delivered as separate axle sets where additional shipping cost is less than import duty on a single package.

Pads - either EBC Yellowstuff or Redstuff.
    Dingah

2015 SQ5 TDI Sold
    2017 RSQ3 Performance Sold
    2018 S4
    Mrs B's Tiguan R-Line + APR

Quote Originally Posted by m1100s View Post
    so i just got a quote sent to me for the fronts from audi here in sydney as i was bored at work and also curious and here are the details

8V0615301Q BRAKE DISC 2 2 946.80 946.80 10.00% 1893.602
    8V0698151K BRK LINING 1 1 1213.73 1213.73 10.00% 1213.73

total + GST ontop was 3418
    Thanks for this info - that part number is different to mine for the discs, I'm guessing you've got a FL RS3?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...sc/8v0615301q/ $440 USD

I should have mentioned, that with the saloon arriving in the States we should see more options become available and arguably more competitive as far as cost goes.

Meds, thank u very much for taking the time to document the brake upgrade options for the pfl.

Ebc redstuff have really good reviews and are used widely in the UK. They now have the pads listed for the rs3 with sensor.

I was at the dealership speaking to the service manager about my noisy brakes when another rs3 owner who has the FL complained about the same thing.. lol

Apparently drove out of the showroom with his FL squealing like a pig.. I thought Audi had this sorted on the new model but it doesn't seem so.

The FL discs don't fit the PFL.. Audi is changing out my pads under warranty. I will eventually go down a similar route to yours.

Cheers meds.
    Thanks for the good write up.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    2016 Audi RS3, 2015 Audi A4 Quattro, 2018 Audi RS3 Sedan