Thread: DSG oil boiled and spewed up all through the engine

1. Default DSG oil boiled and spewed up all through the engine

Hey everyone!

I own a 2008 TTS 8J 2.0 TFSI (DSG).

I got stuck in 30 minutes of bumper to bumper traffic up the Toowoomba Ranges (thanks flower show) with the car pretty much in 1st and 2nd gear the whole way up - with the car inching forward and then stopping (and so on).

After I got to the top of the ranges and drove along about 1km down the road I could see light-ish coloured grey smoke coming out from behind me. At this point there were no issues with changing gears etc. After about 600-800 metres more of "is that smoke coming from me?" I started to pull over. I could also smell something, but it wasn't a distinct clutch smell - l'm suspecting it may've been the oil burning on the manifold?

10 or so metres before I came to a complete stop there were a couple of small slips in the clutch changing down from 3 - 2 - 1. No oil left in the gearbox I suspect?

I turned off the car and when I got out smoke started coming out from under the hood. I lifted it to see transmission fluid had been spurting straight up and hitting the inside of the bonnet and then spraying out all over the passenger side of the engine.

I'm guessing sitting in the low gears coming up the range has boiled the transmission fluid and I think the pressure had burst either a seal or shot out through or near the filter? I really don't know where it's burst from, but it seemed pretty obvious that it had been shooting straight up cause the whole inside of the bonnet was full of oil and pouring out the drainage holes when I lifted it up.

My first question is: has anyone heard of this happening?

Second question: before I call Audi what should I prepare myself for? What are the possible things they'll tell me?

Question 3: On the filter housing in the image below, does anyone know if there's meant to be a tiny hole there? I'm guessing that's where the oil spurted out from?

Will I be saving for the next year before I can afford this repair, or is this a relatively easy fix?

Thanks guys! I appreciate your help in advance!

Boiled-Transmission-Fluid-DSG.jpg
    Last edited by GroundControl; September 17th, 2017 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GroundControl View Post
    Hey everyone!

I own a 2008 TTS 8J 2.0 TFSI (DSG).

I got stuck in 30 minutes of bumper to bumper traffic up the Toowoomba Ranges (thanks flower show) with the car pretty much in 1st and 2nd gear the whole way up - with the car inching forward and then stopping (and so on).

After I got to the top of the ranges and drove along about 1km down the road I could see light-ish coloured grey smoke coming out from behind me. At this point there were no issues with changing gears etc. After about 600-800 metres more of "is that smoke coming from me?" I started to pull over. I could also smell something, but it wasn't a distinct clutch smell - l'm suspecting it may've been the oil burning on the manifold?

10 or so metres before I came to a complete stop there were a couple of small slips in the clutch changing down from 3 - 2 - 1. No oil left in the gearbox I suspect?

I turned off the car and when I got out smoke started coming out from under the hood. I lifted it to see transmission fluid had been spurting straight up and hitting the inside of the bonnet and then spraying out all over the passenger side of the engine.

I'm guessing sitting in the low gears coming up the range has boiled the transmission fluid and I think the pressure had burst either a seal or shot out through or near the filter? I really don't know where it's burst from, but it seemed pretty obvious that it had been shooting straight up cause the whole inside of the bonnet was full of oil and pouring out the drainage holes when I lifted it up.

My first question is: has anyone heard of this happening?

Second question: before I call Audi what should I prepare myself for? What are the possible things they'll tell me?

Question 3: On the filter housing in the image below, does anyone know if there's meant to be a tiny hole there? I'm guessing that's where the oil spurted out from?

Will I be saving for the next year before I can afford this repair, or is this a relatively easy fix?

Thanks guys! I appreciate your help in advance!

Boiled-Transmission-Fluid-DSG.jpg
    How did u go with that after?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TT Q 2000, SOLD
    MKV GTI current