Thread: Engine Shudder

Question Engine Shudder

Audi A4 B7 2.0T (March 08 Quattro 77k klms (Everything original)
    Hi All,
    hope you can help.. i have 3 queries.

1. The engine shudder - Out of the blue on Friday the engine started to shudder with no power, periodically. i have had a bit of a look around and thoughts have been leading to PCV or a coil. The PCV was a bit chocked up so had a bit of a clean to free the 2 valves i could see, i thought i had hit the jackpot but no.
    I have been leant a scanner, it shows misfire on cyl 1. the NGK spark plugs are 6 months old. Should i replace all the coils (all original) and the PCV? Is there any upgrade that would be worthwhile?

2. I have noticed some knocking from left front, on inspection nothing stands out, but there is some play in the upper rear control arm, could this lead to brake shudder at higher speeds?

3. Air Con compressor - had a chap look at the air con as it has becomming noisy and not cold, the gas was all good. He was talking about a problem with an "actuator", then was umming and arring to have the whole compressor changed at $1300-$1700. When it does come on it is very noticable, where i am lead to belive it shouldnt be.

All comes in 3's!!!!!!!!!! (5,6 & 7's just recently!!)

Aprreciate any time and advice

Thanks
    Phil

I would start by pulling the plug and checking its condition compared to the others.
    I doubt its the PCV or the aircon, or the brakes.
    If the plug looks fine, swap the coil with another cylinder and see if the miss fire moves. if it does, replace the coil.

sounds like the classic coil packs on teh 1.8 and 2.0t's...

Quote Originally Posted by Falco View Post
    I would start by pulling the plug and checking its condition compared to the others.
    I doubt its the PCV or the aircon, or the brakes.
    If the plug looks fine, swap the coil with another cylinder and see if the miss fire moves. if it does, replace the coil.

yep, problem moved from Cyl 1 to 2..

i should have been clearer on original post, i have the 3 seperate issues.

thanks for your help, greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Gasmanphil; October 8th, 2017 at 02:41 PM.

Hi All,

thanks to those who replied...

Just an update.

i bororwed a OBD scanner, misfire on cyl 1, moved the coil, and the misfire moved as well.
    in the mean time i checked for any vacuum leaks, as best could, checked the pvc, which was a bit choked up, cleaned it up, all good.

The NGK plugs were all good, only being 6 months old.

Searched for new coils on line, found Bosch ones for $58 each from Sparesbox (arrived in 3 days), as nowhere had genuine Audi. Doing a bit of research the Bosch coils were said to be an upgrade(?). I did call 3 Audi dealers, they quoted $115 - $140 each!

Checked the spark gaps on plugs, chsnged all for coils,, all good.Hazzarr.

Can any one help with the Air Con question???

3. Air Con compressor - had a chap look at the air con as it has becomming noisy and not cold, the gas was all good. He was talking about a problem with an "actuator", then was umming and arring to have the whole compressor changed at $1300-$1700. When it does come on it is very noticable, where i am lead to belive it shouldnt be.

Running it again today, it is working interitantly,