Thread: After a looong time...I'm back! So is my car... 😧

1. Default After a looong time...I'm back! So is my car... 😧

1994 Audi 80 v6 2.6e been sitting for, oh, maybe a year? The battery went flat. Only recently had funds to purchase a new one. Put said new battery in to vehicle. Turned over. Nothing. Almost caught and started, but nope. Not playing. I've done a fault code fault scan - only results from that is the airbag says supply voltage B+ sporadic signal too low, and Auto HVAC supply voltage B+ static signal too low. Everything else is hunky dory according to the fault code diagnostics. Plugs are ok, as far as I can tell. Plenty of fuel, oil etc. Anyone had this problem? Any ideas on what to try/look for? I'm stumped, and the last resort is to get a mobile mechanic to look at it.
    Tired of riding a bicycle!
    Cheers

After sitting that long could be a couple of things.
    I'm leaning towards a fuel problem such as off fuel (if fuel sits for prolonged periods without agitation the more volatile elements leach off and evaporate and leave the fuel in a poor state that doesn't burn as well), a clogged filter or gummed up injectors.

Also check the spark, as the 2.6 coil packs aren't the last word in reliability (though they're not too bad).
    Marty

---
    Current:
    2001 S8 - 19" x 9" C5 RS6 rims, Solar Sunroof, heated leather front and rear seats, tinted side and rear glass, RNS-D, XCarlink, Bose, clunky old phone in arm rest...
    2002 S8 - 18" RS4 reps (for now), Solar Sunroof, 'Sports' mode shifter... Engine dropped valve on PO - work in progress...

Gone but not forgotten:
    ​1997 A4 Quattro V6 Manual "Hamilton's Club Sport"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 27litres For This Useful Post:

Chris Meyer (January 1st, 2018)

4. Default

Thanks mate. Appreciate the advice. Got new plugs and leads on order. Have to go over the fuel lines and check everything. It's also got a short (fuse 4) somewhere in the dash, which is going to be fun to diagnose and repair! Thanks again. Oh, and I've put fresh fuel in it
    Last edited by Chris Meyer; January 1st, 2018 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Update

Blog Entries

fuel pump would be the first place that I would start to look... Does it 'tick over' when you turn on the car (and not crank)?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jnrdavo For This Useful Post:

Chris Meyer (January 11th, 2018)

7. Default

It cranks. Not ticking. Just won't catch. Almost did. Once...then no dice. I've replaced the battery, plugs and leads. And yes, the fuel pump is my next mission. Although finding out *exactly* where it's at is another thing. Is it in the tank or elsewhere? And if it's in the tank, how do I get at it?

8. Default

*update*
    Well, I found the fuel pump today! It's in the boot, if anyone else has need to know 😉
    Anyways, I now know what to replace and where. Just the elusive crank position sensor, can't seem to find it. Was crawling around underneath it today givinf it a thorough clean and look underneath with a flashlight 🔦 and a can of degreaser (burns the eyes a little!) But don't know where that sensor is? I'm getting my pc out of storage later, got elsawin on it so I'm going to crawl around in there!

9. Default

Update: she still won't start. Turns over fine, but no dice. Got a short somewhere as well. Fuse #4 which controls a lot of things. Reluctant to buy a new fuel pump. Need to check for spark/coil packs. Also need to check out return line for fuel. Also fuel pressure regulator. So many things that could go wrong and no idea where to start! I used to love her, but then I had to kill her! So frustrating 😤

Blog Entries

don't worry... old cars take two things to fix... time & money....

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jnrdavo For This Useful Post:

Chris Meyer (March 19th, 2018)

You can test the fuel pump.
    Hot wire permanent live to the fuel pump fuse.

You can also check its flow rate by diverting the return hose from the downstream side of the fuel pressure regulator into a jug and measuring how much fuel pumps over 15 sec.
    Should be around 300-400ml
    Marty

---
    Current:
    2001 S8 - 19" x 9" C5 RS6 rims, Solar Sunroof, heated leather front and rear seats, tinted side and rear glass, RNS-D, XCarlink, Bose, clunky old phone in arm rest...
    2002 S8 - 18" RS4 reps (for now), Solar Sunroof, 'Sports' mode shifter... Engine dropped valve on PO - work in progress...

Gone but not forgotten:
    ​1997 A4 Quattro V6 Manual "Hamilton's Club Sport"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 27litres For This Useful Post:

Chris Meyer (March 19th, 2018)