Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Rockersteady Track car build

Back from the dead, and well and truly awake now.

Ive got too many cars and too many plans to make them faster, - 2 built engines (2.0 AEB/AJL strokers) and enough parts to build a 2.5 tall deck stroker inline 5.
    a efr 8374 and full race manifold just sitting there-
    AND the car of this thread, my already fully built- fully working EFR6758 ON E85 AT 7 BAR- sat in the back yard or a garage now for more than 2 years- because its too lethal (read well sorted and quick) for the road as a daily driver (with me at the helm anyrate) so all these plans to build a "track" car out of it.... when it already IS!

So im off to the track for the first time ever, this Monday at Luddenham! why didnt I think of this before?!!

Ive ordered some penrite racing brake fluid- penrite 15w50 racing oil , thats for this weekend fluid change- broken out the laptop to find the file it has in it, and then charge the battery- Yes and I also filled 6 x 20 drums with e85, ready to roll
    '99 Quattro, stroked 2L
    Concept, tune and build by QMS
    EFR 6758, Bosch 1000cc, E85 @7bar, Bosch 413 in 034 surge tank. VVT cam timing upgrade. Controls by Eurodyne boost manager, V8 MAF, LC1, EGT. JE 9:1, 13kg 2L Crank, 475gm rods, Ferrea , Dowel pin crank, IE tensioner, 034 Pheno Spacer, FX400 240mm x6, Apikol SMIC, Miltek 2.75 Koni coils, Stoptech BB, Powerslot Rear, SS lines, 034 G/b, Apikol Diff mounts, APR snub mount.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rockersteady For This Useful Post:

Gbomer (February 14th, 2019)

Quote Originally Posted by rockersteady View Post

Ive got too many cars and too many plans to make them faster, - 2 built engines (2.0 AEB/AJL strokers) and enough parts to build a 2.5 tall deck stroker inline 5.
    a efr 8374 and full race manifold just sitting there-
    AND the car of this thread, my already fully built- fully working EFR6758 ON E85 AT 7 BAR- sat in the back yard or a garage now for more than 2 years- because its too lethal (read well sorted and quick) for the road as a daily driver (with me at the helm anyrate) so all these plans to build a "track" car out of it.... when it already IS!

So im off to the track for the first time ever, this Monday at Luddenham! why didnt I think of this before?!!

Ive ordered some penrite racing brake fluid- penrite 15w50 racing oil , thats for this weekend fluid change- broken out the laptop to find the file it has in it, and then charge the battery- Yes and I also filled 6 x 20 drums with e85, ready to roll
    Sounds like fun .. i would take the car for a drive maybe a good 20 mins run some of the old if any fuel through it ..or maybe just drain and replace it.

All this on the basis that it is e85 in the tank

Otherwise i do recall u mentioning u drain it for storage ..not sure ?

Go hard ..take some in car footage if possible.

Also maybe check your brake fluid?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Now > 99 A4 1.8TQ (silver)
    Handling
    KW V3's | Hotchkies Front and Rear Sways | 320mm Brembo BBK |
    Power
    Garrett GT3076r 52 Trim 0.63 A/R| Haltech PS1000 (custom harness PNP) | Piper Ultimate Road Cams | Scat Rods | JE Pistons | Supertech Valve Set | IE Springs Set | Full Race Ex Mani | Custom Enlarged Intake Mani | 1000cc Inj | Zietronix Flex Fuel Sensor | Treadstone TR18 FMIC

R.I.P > 98 A4 1.8TQ (cactus green)

You fast man, didnt think you sat here anymore!
    ahh its got nasty petrol in it all ready (yuk!)

racing brake fluid was ordered last week buddy! easy I will go, they are new tyres but a bit slippery if I recall
    '99 Quattro, stroked 2L
    EFR 6758, Bosch 1000cc, E85 @7bar, Bosch 413 in 034 surge tank. VVT cam timing upgrade. Controls by Eurodyne boost manager, V8 MAF, LC1, EGT. JE 9:1, 13kg 2L Crank, 475gm rods, Ferrea , Dowel pin crank, IE tensioner, 034 Pheno Spacer, FX400 240mm x6, Apikol SMIC, Miltek 2.75 Koni coils, Stoptech BB, Powerslot Rear, SS lines, 034 G/b, Apikol Diff mounts, APR snub mount.

Haha
    .im following this thread

Dont you worry!

P.s i need a new clutch 300kw+ my fx400 not happy in 4th.. i must of killed it with my daily driving and up hill ****ty traffic

Handling
    Power
    Garrett GT3076r 52 Trim 0.63 A/R| Haltech PS1000 (custom harness PNP) | Piper Ultimate Road Cams | Scat Rods | JE Pistons | Supertech Valve Set | IE Springs Set | Full Race Ex Mani | Custom Enlarged Intake Mani | 1000cc Inj | Zietronix Flex Fuel Sensor | Treadstone TR18 FMIC

Quote Originally Posted by rockersteady View Post

IMG_0302.jpg IMG_0303.jpg

Bit of a rush getting it all together- just a few hours to prep and re-tune it , a loan of a tyre inflator to adjust air pressures at the track.
    Got really hot later in the day, (39 degrees C) but she coped well but oil temps rose to 120c and had to limit to 4 laps at a time with a cool down lap in between.
    It felt great- especially not being overtaken on the (short) straight. I gapped most here and none gained (includes 2 late model supercharged Shelby mustangs and a Lotus- which all had plenty of track experience)

I had to call it quits at 4pm when bonnet cable came loose somewhere and I couldn't get the bonnet open during a re fuel and vapour lock ensued.!

26PSI Max and a 7800 rpm rev limit were tested all day!
    '99 Quattro, stroked 2L

Hell yeah !

Great to see you let it eat !

Handling
    Power

Wakefield park raceway is booked for Wed. (Track day) got my "annual" AASA club "racing" ha ha license, havent tried to open the bonnet yet- too busy.
    picked up some motul gear 300v lube for box and rear , was recommended redline waterwetter but cant get it time so will be running penrite racing coolant - just mix with de-mineralsed water. -seems to be a very similar product anyways.

will be removing the ac system on Monday (didnt touch it last track day in 39 c) and the condenser removal will allow more air to radiator (easier path)-
    Im going to bypass the oil cooler (remove hoses from it and join together) then going to tap into bottom rad hose and run it directly to the factory oil cooler and fit a pump (I have a couple of after run coolant pumps) inline with return to upper coolant hose/pipe. on a cabin switch so will flick it on once oil reaches 80 or so . if this works ok i will hook it up with a relay output electric thermostat i have also lying around.

still to come as soon as I can are some seats (for harness) and fit the 034 rear sway bar. Then get some advise on setting up the suspension- i had a lot of inner rear wheel tyre spin when exiting light turn left - and the rear of the car is up as high as factory right now!
    pics when i can
    '99 Quattro, stroked 2L

Wakefield has come and gone but the blast I had on Wed is lingering on... I never would have thought how much fun it is chucking your car round a race track!
    Best parts of the day were pressing a lotus hard enough in the wet that he gave up and let me thru. after I passed the lotus I managed a off at turn one- but still got back on the track in time to stay in front! it was one big skid pan in the late AM!- It wasn't till the dry afternoon sessions that I would take the kink in the main straight well and keep some power on till later. before then I was hitting 180 in 4th and letting up at the finish line gantry, after this I reckon i was doing 190 or so- but not game enough to glance at the gauges thru the kink with the turn one coming up real fast! (V8 supercars do 233km/hr here)

Once again I surprised a few with the fairly sedate looking (and exhaust note) Audi of mine! I met a bunch of cool drivers- many of them amateur race and ex race.

still no in car footage- no time to organise anything. I left the programming cable at home so no further tuning has carried on since the quick tweak pre luddenham.
    at the track me and my Buddy /co-driver/ pit hand did the gearbox oil change, and went over the boost hoses and suspension/steering/ drive axles up on jack stands.

I earlier in the week removed the ac and modified the coolant hose and routing to the cooler- it worked to a degree- I feel I need to put an orifice in the header line to the bottom hose as a reasonable amount of coolant just went down the header tank hose and return on the overflow hose- bypassing the cooler radiator (path of less resistance)- further testing will ensue.

On to the next event- I have joined WSCC (Wollongong sporting car club) and also entered into their "come try" hill climb event at Huntley next weekend Sun 17th March!

No further work planned for the car till after then (no time) except to completely drain the cooling system and refill with the racing coolant additive, maybe a qiuck squiz under the timing belt cover and check the timing belt tension (manual tensioner)

a bit of footage here....
    '99 Quattro, stroked 2L

Sounds like you had a great day. Was thinking of dropping in and watching but I got side tracked. Great track so maybe you'll drop in again.
    B5 RS4 : Lightly modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

nice one mate... That track was my first exposure to pushing my car to the limits... it's addictive!!

The first corner/kink is always fun, and you can spend ages working out different methods to get it right. I remember that the fastest I ever got through there also results in me coming off with understeer/insufficient braking on the next corner