Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DPF dramas with my SQ5

1. Default

When I rang Audi Aus yesterday the lady reckons she will “investigate” my case and get back to me in a few days. The drama that all Australian deisel Audi owners must take stock of is that even if your car is only 1 or 2 years old and still under new car warranty and only has say 40,000klms on the clock. Aus Audi will do everything in their power to not have to replace your vehs DPF. The life of a DPF is suppose to be 180,000klms if used properly. Mine has 81,000klms on it “and” is only serviced by Audi,only filled up will vortex or BP Ultimate deisel and is driven on open roads in CQ.

Blog Entries

Ok, so if the life is 180K (is that documented somewhere) is their anything specific in your original warranty or extended warranty or anything that Audi have advised you at any point of the sale of the new car that the DPF may need replacing outside of this 180K and that it is considered a consumable?

If not, then you have a strong case. 'General public' are aware that tires, brakes, clutches (manual) windscreen wipers etc are consumables when they purchase a car (and it may also be mentioned in their warranty exclusions). If there is nothing specific about the DPF and also you were not advised at sale time (or any time) that this could be an issue/consumable that you would have to pay for yourself, then what case do Audi have not to replace it?

3. Default

The service manger and one of the head mechanics at my dealership said the DPF lifespan is close to 180,000klms. When ever I google DPF lifespans I read 120,000 “Miles” plus. When I ring the lady at Aus Audi warranty on Friday I will see if she is willing to give me a offical Audi estimate of a DPF lifespan. Don’t get me wrong,say if it was a gearbox issue with my SQ5 and being only 4.5 years old and the new car warranty had run out and Audi refused to help me I would definitely still lose the plot with them. We pay good money for our cars and they should be reliable and be backed up by good service from Audi.

4. Default

That's pretty ****. Sounds like I may have to rethink the idea of buying the new diesel when its released. It sounds like they are nothing but trouble.

5. Default

I spoke to the lady from Aus Audi warranty again yesterday and she said that she had spoken to my dealership and that they said the part hadn’t been replaced under warrantry because of the high cost of it and that they had used other methods to rectify the drama. I told her that it’s not the dealers fault and that it’s Aus Audi that declined the warranty replacement request from the dealer. I asked her once again that I want a explanation from Aus Audi why they wouldn’t replace the DPF under warrantry. So now she wants me to scan my service book and send it to her,I said she can ring my dealer and get that info. I rang Aus Audi “again” this morning and a bloke answered and straight away I asked to talk to his department boss. After some debate he put me through to his boss,I turns out none of the people I have been talking to are from the warrantry department. Aus Audi warranty and technical don’t lower themselves to the level of talking to customers. They leave that task up to male and female receptionist that don’t even know what a DPF is. So this lady is going to talk to the “GODS” in the warranty department for me and I will see what half assed answer I get this time!
    Last edited by Morrie; Yesterday at 01:08 PM.

Blog Entries

That's good news. Make sure you document everything, every person you spoke to (date/time/name or reference number). Also another way is to ask them if you mind recording the conversation, that will keep them on their toes. You are allowed to record if both parties are aware and agree. And yes, ask for things in writing, so that there is no 'he said, she said' between you and Audi and the Dealer. You could also write a letter 'for' the dealer and take it to them and get somebody to sign it, so that you can then send to Audi. This will stop the 'confusion' between the two of them.

Lastly, always stay level headed, it's a long road, but you should win this one.

Being an SQ5 owner myself I'm beginning to get really concerned about the actions of Aus Audi so I wish you all the best Morrie. No-one should have to go through all this trouble especially if you've done the sensible thing in taking out extended warranty - heck I'm pretty sure even if there was a DPF issue which required replacement during the factory warranty period Aus Audi would still kick and scream.

BTW great advice jnrdavo, I like the request to record conversations, it gets the other party to acknowledge your seriousness in dealing with the matter.