Thread: Timing Chain Tensioner - Potential Failure

1. Default Timing Chain Tensioner - Potential Failure

Howdy,

Has anyone experienced the Timing Chain Tensioner failure on their 2.0TFSI engine?
    Has Audi AU helped with covering some/all of the repair costs (which could be quite substantial if a new engine is required).
    This failure has been clearly documented overseas and is just a matter of time before affected engines fail.
    VAG is keeping this quiet (as expected) and not proactively engaging with their customers to prevent the failure in the first place.

I suspect our cars are nearing the mileage where we will start to see many of these failures on 2.0TFSI engines built from 2009 to 2012, this is across the entire VAG group of cars using this series of engine.

I have an 2009 A5 2.0TFSI and considering changing the tensioner as a proactive measure prior to the potential catastrophic engine damage that may be caused.
    Just waiting on a quote from the local Audi service centre.

2. Default Potential Class Action - Shine Lawyers

Shine Lawyers were on the news last night (Channel 7 Sydney) discussing the catastrophic engine failures due to the timing chain tensioner failure.

They are investigating the potential for a class action against VW and Audi.

For those owners that are impacted, please consider registering your interest below:

https://www.shine.com.au/blog/class-...-class-action/

With the 2009 to 2012 engine, you'll need new rings before 100,000ks due to excessive oil consumption, if that doesn't get you the Maechatronics unit on the DSG gear box should. The the timing chain is the least of your problems. I must say Audi were very helpful fixing the other two problems I mentioned for no charge although my car was out of warranty.
    The new generation 2.0TFSI in the B9 model has been problem free so far and it hasn't used a drop of oil in nearly 40,000ks.
    1997 A3 1.8T sold
    2000 TT quattro still going strong.
    2005 Lava Grey A3 2.0 TFSI DSG Sportback, Open Sky, roof racks, Vienna Leather. Sold
    2006 Black A4 2.0 TFSI S-line Quattro Avant Sold
    2009 White A4 2.0 TFSI Quattro Avant, Open Sky roof, MMi+ 19" rims, Bang and Olufsen, adaptive cruse, Oak Beaufort trim. Sold
    2016 A4 Quattro sport Avant, Manhattan Gray, Panno roof, Technik package, Assistance package.