Thread: Any HVAC people on here ?

Default Any HVAC people on here ?

Ex refrigeration mechanic here was wondering if anyone els here is HVAC qualified.
    Been stung too many times by dodgy mechanics. Had 2 auto mechanics false diagnose my TTRS A/c problem telling me I needed a new compressor to thereís a blockage in the system quotes from $850 to $2000 to repair. Did my own investigation and was a $20 regulator valve. And just recently took my A3 in to get gassed up so I can start my own diagnostics. Having the mechanics telling me that didnít gas it up because the compressor wonít work. Funny how they are able to diagnose a faulty compressor with out even having any pressure in the system what so ever. After having a few words with them they realised that I new my ****, there story quickly changed to that they did gas it.
    Hmmmmm I see this is becoming more a problem these days, if ya need something done you need to do it ya self.
    So was wondering even though Iím out of the game and have no resources, is it worth buying back my HVAC gear and just do it all from home ? Iím getting sick of going back and forth to these dodgy people paying over $150 just for 400g of gas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TYR382 View Post
    Ex refrigeration mechanic here was wondering if anyone els here is HVAC qualified.
    Been stung too many times by dodgy mechanics. Had 2 auto mechanics false diagnose my TTRS A/c problem telling me I needed a new compressor to thereís a blockage in the system quotes from $850 to $2000 to repair. Did my own investigation and was a $20 regulator valve. And just recently took my A3 in to get gassed up so I can start my own diagnostics. Having the mechanics telling me that didnít gas it up because the compressor wonít work. Funny how they are able to diagnose a faulty compressor with out even having any pressure in the system what so ever. After having a few words with them they realised that I new my ****, there story quickly changed to that they did gas it.
    Hmmmmm I see this is becoming more a problem these days, if ya need something done you need to do it ya self.
    So was wondering even though Iím out of the game and have no resources, is it worth buying back my HVAC gear and just do it all from home ? Iím getting sick of going back and forth to these dodgy people paying over $150 just for 400g of gas

Sad but true. Too many of the current crop of auto service people get their ticket via signed tasks rather than a detailed understanding. Seems to be the norm to R&R. I can see something in it as labour is so expensive, can be cheaper to just take out the major assembly and replace providing its an accurate diagnosis in the first place. My approach is that if I need to buy the gear and I can do the job for the same or less then I go that way. If there is a next time then you're sweet. If that is your trade and you have the right gear, why not do a bit from home. Covers your costs. All my gear is for commercial freon so well well out of date. I'd be happy to use your services for a top up or evac and recharge if needed.
    B5 RS4 : Lightly modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Yeh Iím gonna head down to heat craft today and gather some gauges and possibly vac pump and nitro reg. Seen 1 stage vac pumps on eBay for 200 bucks. Unsure how low they can pull a vacuum. 50 microns is all thatís needed for automotive I guess so I think a cheep pump will do the job. One i use to have could pull a lot more then that but was well over 1000 bucks

yeah, i dunno about u but in my 24 odd years of driving, and dozens of cars owned, ive had very little dealings with faulty air conditioning systems. and the issues i had were covered under warranty (evo9 would only blow cold air in winter suddenly. was fixed that week when i took it in the next day and they organised a new thermostat). issues with a custom a/c system in my 70 boss 302 (being a custom unit, i had the teething issues, but its been resolved), and my father had his a/c go out on his new clk 320 many years ago, turns out that benz was **** those years.
    besides that, running out to by equipment for marginal issues that rarely pop up seems like overkill
    SOLD!!! 01 black b5 rs4

14 suzuka grey b8 rs4 - bang & olufsen sound system, high beam assistant, black exterior styling package, heated front seats, rear manual sunblinds, panoramic sunroof, dynamic steering, digital radio, assistance package +side assist, dynamic sports package 3, oem rear cargo mat, Lakin number plate delete mod

Depends. Sending my car to get pressure tested, Vac, gassed then just to figure out whatís wrong with it not including the parts needed then reclaim, parts install pressure test, vac, gas and maybe it might be solved by then. Ya looking at between 350 to over 1000 to get the job done. Also not to mention that a new dryer filter to be installed after the repairs. Considering I can source all my equipment for 500 bucks, kinda worth an investment. Like any tools you buy to conduct self repairs. Refrigeration is no different.

A kilo of R134 will set you back a bit though!

I was lucky that I had a mate at work who did HVAC moonlighting when I had my issues!
    He's given it away since, but the workshop he used (in Werribee if anyone's interested) does very good work with all the A/C gear.
    Have since found a mobile fridge man who used to do cars and still has the gear.
    Marty

---
    Current:
    2001 S8 - 19" x 9" C5 RS6 rims, Solar Sunroof, heated leather front and rear seats, tinted side and rear glass, RNS-D, XCarlink, Bose, clunky old phone in arm rest...
    2002 S8 - 18" RS4 reps (for now), Solar Sunroof, 'Sports' mode shifter... Engine dropped valve on PO - work in progress...

Gone but not forgotten:
    ​1997 A4 Quattro V6 Manual "Hamilton's Club Sport"

134a is very cheep compared to most obsolete gasses such as R22Band I think 404. R22 is being or has been replaced by 410. Last time I was on the tools back in 2014 I was told The manufacture of R22 had stoped and everyone was buying up as much of it they can while it was still around. Last I recall it was going over 100 bucks per Kg
    Iím pretty sure 134a is about 50 bucks per kg,
    Obviously the smaller quantity you buy the more expensive it is like anything. Hens why you never by one shot cans as to a 16Kg bottle.

I work for one of the larger valve manufacturers - HVAC is one industry we focus in :)
    Daytona RS3 | RS Performance | Assistance | Black High Gloss | Panoramic Roof | Stage 3+

TomCat TC600 Hybrid | E-Tuner Motorsport E85 ECU & TCU | Wagner Evo 3 FMIC | HG Motorsport Downpipe | Milltek Decats | HG Motorsport intake | BMC Filter | Autotech HPFP | AEM Methanol Kit | Turbosmart EM Kompact | Mishimoto Catch Can | MSS Suspension | Michelin PS4S | Rays Forged ZE40's | DBA 5000 & Ferodo DS2500 | Flow Design lip

357kw / 690Nm @ Wheels

1/4: 11.00 & 136MPH

You talking about Schrader valves or reverse valves ?

Quote Originally Posted by TYR382 View Post
    You talking about Schrader valves or reverse valves ?
    Butterfly, ball and check valves (15mm to 1200mm) including pneumatic and electric actuation
    Daytona RS3 | RS Performance | Assistance | Black High Gloss | Panoramic Roof | Stage 3+

TomCat TC600 Hybrid | E-Tuner Motorsport E85 ECU & TCU | Wagner Evo 3 FMIC | HG Motorsport Downpipe | Milltek Decats | HG Motorsport intake | BMC Filter | Autotech HPFP | AEM Methanol Kit | Turbosmart EM Kompact | Mishimoto Catch Can | MSS Suspension | Michelin PS4S | Rays Forged ZE40's | DBA 5000 & Ferodo DS2500 | Flow Design lip

357kw / 690Nm @ Wheels

1/4: 11.00 & 136MPH