Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Audi S3 - Haldex Issue (Solved)

Quote Originally Posted by sickarius View Post
    Dropped the car off the Audi this morning. Haldex pump is gone. Part ordered from Sydney and will be ready Monday.

I hope it's just the pump and not the controller and diff.

Will report back Monday.

The guys are Audi Melbourne (King St) were very quick to diagnose the problem.
    FIXED! I now have the latest GEN Haldex pump installed. Couple day delay as they sent an old gen pump out at first, and the tech wasn't happy putting that in.

No more flashing TCL under power. Yet to try LC yet, but it seems like its fixed. Had no issue with Haldex Controller or Diff, it was the pump only.

All covered under warranty
    new - 2015 S3 sedan

old - 2006 A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line 6sp manual
    aka. "Claudia"

Quote Originally Posted by sickarius View Post
    ....I now have the latest GEN Haldex pump installed....
    Do you have a part number for this upgraded pump and do we know when it started to be installed on new builds?
    2018 S3 S-tronic Sedan, Daytona Grey, SPP1, Assistance, Matrix, Folding Mirrors, Rear folding seats, Panoramic roof and design light inlays. Expected 25 July!

Default S3 Haldex Pump

I have an update on my haldex pump issues I have been having with my 8V S3. Took my car to an independent VW mechanic and asked him to do a haldex oil change, pump inspection and filter clean. This is what the oil and filter looked like after only 23,500km. Cost about $180.

I have been asking my local Audi Service Centre (JMC Hobart) to check if there was something wrong with my rear wheel drive as it didn't feel like I was getting full rear drive working over the past 2 years. They just said there wasn't a fault code and they are all like this.

Not very happy with JMC Audi due to their poor advice/service - So called VAG "experts" not!

Anyway it is driving like new again. Hope this helps other forum members.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi,

Just thought I would put this out there for other members, so I also got at Haldex issue 2 years old 50,000kms spinning front tires pulling to the side etc.

Took it to Audi for the issue they had a TPI on file that for my issue was todo a Haldex oil change and clean the filter as per previous poster, this sort of fixed the issue but still was pulling badly to the side under power and also emitting a banging noise under hard acceleration felt like a broken gearbox mount which it wasn't.

Took it back a week later complaining of he same issue and no resolution this is where the fun started.

First TPI said needed a Haldex software update, this was tried and somehow was not able to be flashed to I assume the Haldex ecu/pump controller for whatever reason it just didn't work.

They got a resolution form Audi head office and got th ecu reflahed with the new program, next issue was then the Haldex pump was showing as an issue so they replaced the Haldex pump with a new unit.

When retested with a new pump in the system they found the coupling also needed to be replaced as this was also not working properly so this was then also replaced.

Once this was replaced they then found the rubber donut, universal had also cracked and failed.

This was also replaced.

So after abit over a week I now have back a fully functional car.

It doesnt instill great great confidence into the quality of the components used, but would like to say Audi Brighton did a good job after all the stuffing around ordering parts.

Also had a nice new S3 sedan to drive around in the interim.

Hopefully this information might by useful for someone else if they are having an issue.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Spinr33 For This Useful Post:

beanoyip (October 16th, 2018)

So I have noticed this issue the last 6 months. Car is unfortunately out of warranty, issue started literally just after warranty expired. I put it down to changing the tires, thought the tires were ****. When launching with launch control, or even just launching it normally, the car loses traction quite violenty, shakes the car.

Guess I have to take it in to get checked. How much has it cost people to fix this issue in here? I know a few had it done under warranty but want a general idea on how much this is going to set me back.

Is there is a known issue and other people have had it fixed under warranty, and your car is just out of warranty, then Audi/the service dept should fix it for nothing.

I would get it checked, then ask if they will do it for free. If not, then have some ammo showing that the same issue has happened to others, and that they have been fixed during warranty.

Drive train/haldex should not fail just outside of warranty, it should last for many years (you have consumer rights, that are outside the standard car warranties)

Quote Originally Posted by jnrdavo View Post
    Is there is a known issue and other people have had it fixed under warranty, and your car is just out of warranty, then Audi/the service dept should fix it for nothing.

I would get it checked, then ask if they will do it for free. If not, then have some ammo showing that the same issue has happened to others, and that they have been fixed during warranty.

Drive train/haldex should not fail just outside of warranty, it should last for many years (you have consumer rights, that are outside the standard car warranties)
    You're right. Unfortunately though I still should have prioritised this issue a lot sooner. I have just been so busy with life in between that I keep putting it off. As soon as I get a bit of time spare the next month or so I am going to have this looked at and potentially fixed.

Just thought I would report that I had the same issue at 50k. The front would shudder with axle tramp and felt front drive only. I had Audi service look at it they said it was the tyres, replaced them and still the same issue although I knew it was the haldex. Needed to do it anyway so replaced. Took back and they cleaned and flushed the haldex pump and now back to normal. So for anyone out of warranty or at next service I would request haldex oil change anyway as a preventative measure as they will all fail eventually if it gets blocked and hopefully stops needing to replace the pump altogether.

Now onto the next issue of coolant warning light going off. Losing small amount of coolant but read lots about the pump and thermostat housing needing changing eventually, So booked in for that, as not nice having to check fluids all the time.
    S3 MY15 Sedan | Misano Red | S-tronic | Magnetic Ride | 19" V-spoke PP2 | Sunroof | B&O Audio | Folding Mirrors | Pirelli P-Zero R02