Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garaging MY16 S3 for about six weeks

Just to clarify - I'm assuming most people recommending "trickle charging" actually mean maintenance charging.
    Continuous trickle charging on a "dumb" charger will kill a battery in not a very long time.
    You need a smart charger with maintenance capability (most decent modern chargers are capable of this, but make sure before using in this manner).
    Dedicated maintenance chargers (like the tiny 0.8A Cteks) are especially designed just for this purpose. But any Ctek charger will also perform maintenance charging.

As for leaving a car for 6 weeks - it's nothing.
    Battery should last that time if it's in good nick. They spend 4 weeks or more on the boat over here and only get started to drive them on, then shut down again, then load on multiple trucks in the same manner before sitting at dealer forecourts for however long...
    Fuel will not go off in this time (takes 12 months or more)
    Tyres may get flat spots if they're a soft compound, but a decent drive to heat them up when you get back will fix that.

Just park it, and walk away... Maintenance charger if it will make you feel better.
    Marty

---
    Current:
    2001 S8 - 19" x 9" C5 RS6 rims, Solar Sunroof, heated leather front and rear seats, tinted side and rear glass, RNS-D, XCarlink, Bose, clunky old phone in arm rest...
    2002 S8 - 18" RS4 reps (for now), Solar Sunroof, 'Sports' mode shifter... Engine dropped valve on PO - work in progress...

Gone but not forgotten:
    ​1997 A4 Quattro V6 Manual "Hamilton's Club Sport"

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Twice I've left my old S3 for 7 weeks and both times battery was dead as on return. Both times battery was over two years old. If you've got VCDS I'd put the car in "Transport Mode" which shuts down everything including alarm.
    Absolutely no need if you fork out $100 for a CTEK trickle charger.
    Dingah

2017 RSQ3 Performance + and Mrs B's Tiguan R-Line APR (Stage 1)

Quote Originally Posted by 27litres View Post
    As for leaving a car for 6 weeks - it's nothing.
    Battery should last that time if it's in good nick. They spend 4 weeks or more on the boat over here and only get started to drive them on, then shut down again, then load on multiple trucks in the same manner before sitting at dealer forecourts for however long...
    Fuel will not go off in this time (takes 12 months or more)
    Tyres may get flat spots if they're a soft compound, but a decent drive to heat them up when you get back will fix that.

Just park it, and walk away... Maintenance charger if it will make you feel better.
    Couldn't agree more. This is really making something out of nothing. The battery is an issue if you have a parasitic load because of settings and "sleeping" electronics. Disconnect a fully charged battery and it will be good for ages. If leaving it connected is convenient then a few 100$ will get you a good maintenance charger. For this purpose it must be cheaper than lifting the bonnet and removing one lead from the battery. It is a worthwhile purchase even if not for this.
    B5 RS4 : Lightly modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8