Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garaging MY16 S3 for about six weeks

1. Default Garaging MY16 S3 for about six weeks

Later this year I'll be going overseas for about 6 weeks and I'm wondering if you guys have any tips on how I can best keep my MY16 S3 over the time I'm gone. The car will be garaged, so it will be safe enough and out of the elements but I'm not sure I'll be able to sort out anyone to give it a drive once in a while. I've read that maybe a "smart charger" for the battery might be a good idea? Any experience/recommendations with these? Any other tips or experiences would be much appreciated.

IMO, 6 weeks is nothing.
    MY15 A3 8V 'Attraction' 1.4L TFSI S-Tronic Sedan, Glacier White, Technik Pack, Style Pack 18".

A CTEK charger IS a good idea even if not deemed necessary and if not inconvenient perhaps an empty fuel tank and that way you can fill up with fresh motion lotion when you get back - using the down time as an opportunity rather than a threat.
    Last edited by Dingah; April 16th, 2018 at 09:08 PM.
    Dingah

2017 RSQ3 Performance + and Mrs B's Tiguan R-Line APR (Stage 1)

4. Default

My RS3 sits for about 7 weeks each year (2 so far). Other than staying locked, i don't do anything else and no dramas.

For those who are really cautious, they jack the car up and leave the car on jack stands so the tires donít get flat spots....

+1 on keeping car on trickle charge during absence....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    His - MY16 S3 Sedan | Sepang Blue | Performance | Assistance | Ext Mirror | Load Through | Sunroof and much more...
    Hers - MY17 Tiguan 162 R line | Tungsten Silver | Assistance | Sunroof | and more...

Ha! I had an anal friend at work with a Boxster and he used to put timber stand-offs under the wiper arms so that the wiper blades didn't sit against the glass for long periods.
    Dingah

2017 RSQ3 Performance + and Mrs B's Tiguan R-Line APR (Stage 1)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dingah For This Useful Post:

jaydece (April 17th, 2018)

8. Default

Thanks guys. This will be the first time I've left my car for more than a few days, good to know six weeks isn't that big a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingah View Post
    A CTEK charger IS a good idea even if not deemed necessary and if not inconvenient perhaps an empty fuel tank and that way you can fill up with fresh motion lotion when you get back - using the down time as an opportunity rather than a threat.

Any particular CTEK charger you like, Dingah?

9. Default

+1 above. Trickle Charge to keep the battery healthy. Fluids should be ok, besides petrol.. Keep it low and top it up with fresh petrol when you're back.

Maybe a good wash when you're back

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bigmez For This Useful Post:

jaydece (April 17th, 2018)

Twice I've left my old S3 for 7 weeks and both times battery was dead as on return. Both times battery was over two years old. If you've got VCDS I'd put the car in "Transport Mode" which shuts down everything including alarm.
    Tango Red S3 MY17 | Mirror Pkg | Black Pkg | Roof Rails Black | SPP 1 | Asst Pkg | Design Selection 2 | Privacy | Panoramic Sun Roof |
    Previously -Black S3 MY09 | Pearl Black S3 MY01| Ming Blue A3T MY00 | Laser Red A3 MY99 |

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitch For This Useful Post:

jonny_noog (April 17th, 2018)

A trickle charger connected to the car should be all you really need.
    MY17 8V II S3 Sedan | Audi Exclusive Sepang Blue S Performance Pack 1 Panoramic Roof Matrix Lights Black Optics Ext Mirror Pkg

2012 Golf R 2002 Silvia 200sx S15

14. The Following User Says Thank You to morph. For This Useful Post:

jonny_noog (April 17th, 2018)