Thread: Removing Genuine Audi Towbar from SQ5

1. Default Removing Genuine Audi Towbar from SQ5

Hi,

I just purchased 2016 SQ5 and I wan't to get the towbar removed.

Does anyone know if I need to get any coding done due to the fact that it was coded when it was installed by Audi.

BTW, if anyone is interested in purchasing it - please pm me.

Lemi

Quote Originally Posted by lemi View Post
    Hi,

I just purchased 2016 SQ5 and I wan't to get the towbar removed.

Does anyone know if I need to get any coding done due to the fact that it was coded when it was installed by Audi.

BTW, if anyone is interested in purchasing it - please pm me.

Lemi
    The actual bar itself will just unbolt. How hard it is to get to bolts I donít know.
    The wiring is a different matter altogether. Unless your into pulling things apart, my suggestion would be to leave the wiring where it is and just tie it up behind the bumper with zip ties.
    If you do pull all the wiring and ecu, then yes - you will need to get it all recoded.
    If you donít mind. Why do you want yo removed the tow bar and wiring ?
    MY13 4L Q7 3.0 TDi Quattro
    2005 B7 A4 1.8T BFB

3. Default

Thanks for the info.

I might leave the wiring part to Audi. Any chance the wiring would just unplug?

I already have Amarok to tow things and i dont like the look of the towbar on SQ5.

Lemi

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by lemi View Post
    Thanks for the info.

I might leave the wiring part to Audi. Any chance the wiring would just unplug?
    If done properly I think it will all unplug, you will just need to trace it back to where it connects. I donít think it is as simple as just behind the bumper, it might go through the car a bit.
    You will need to recode the car afterwards or you will get trailer module errors.
    If your careful and can get the complete harness out without cutting it, you should have no problems reselling the bar and wiring.
    Good luck.
    MY13 4L Q7 3.0 TDi Quattro
    2005 B7 A4 1.8T BFB

5. Default

All done,
    Thanks for your help.

I've got a mate that worked for Audi and Porsche to remove it. Piece of cake - he reckons.
    I was quiet surprised how heavy duty this bar is – in comparison to the one I had on my Caddy.

It's now in Classifieds.

Lemi

FYI there is no such thing as a genuine Audi tow bar kit for an SQ5. It would have been an aftermarket kit they installed at the dealer once delivered Its a shame they don't install Westfalia kits in Australia, they do OS, as you don't even know they are there till you need them as they hide up under the bumper bar

Added bit - so it appears they do do a kit..... they told me when I bought mine there was no such thing as a genuine Audi tow bar.... I stand corrected
    Last edited by ido09s; May 24th, 2018 at 10:35 AM.