Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quattro 90 Project

Not much has happened lately, work seems to get in the way of any serious carplay. When I first got the car I had it parked outside, then I found out the windscreen leaked so I shuffled cars around and moved it inside. It so happens that the leak ended up on the MPI control unit. Anyway I made up a switch and LED to diagnose MPI blink codes and low and behold no faults. I ran the output test and according to Bentley the test should first run run the fuel pump, then each injector in turn then the ISV followed up by the carbon canister valve. I get everything except the injector test. Just wondering if the MPI units for Aus delivered cars are different to the US delivered.It seems strange that none of the injectors get pulsed. Mind you it is difficult to hear what is happening with the feul pump and regulating valve going in the background. All injectors are OK and the MPI controller puts out a 12v signal pulse to the injector when the key is turned on. Any comments.

I was surprised when I checked fuel pressures, running at 3.9 bar, which is in spec and when the key is turned off fuel pressure holds for about 15 minutes, looks like non return valve and pump are OK. I did buy a new prior to the test. I will fir the new one once the build gets further advanced.

I have pulled the dash out of the 80 donor car, ex MattMatt, also pulled the heater and heater box. One thing is all the foam on the flaps etc is totally stuffed, you only have to touch it and it falls apart. I got hold of a sheet of 3mm foam and am currently refurbishing all the heater bits and pieces.

I picked a set of console gauges from EBay complete with wiring loom and instrument light booster, all tested OK. It'll be a while before I need them.

I have quite a few items in a shopping cart from the Audi Traddition shop but initially there payment system wasn't accepting CC payments, been like it for quite a while so I found out, now the site is down for maintenance, hopefully not for too much longer.
    Current - 2007 B7 RS4 Avant, APR Stage 3, Milltek with Hi Flo Cats, GruppeM intake, Sachs Clutch, Factory Ceramics, JHM Shifter, RS6 FBSTW, AMI & Hi Res RSNE
    Current - 2012 B8 A4, 2.0T Quattro Avant SLine
    Current - 2001 B5 S4 Imola Yellow Avant
    Current - 1989 B3 90 Quattro - 7A NA Engine, (Long Term Restoration Project)
    Sold - 2008 B7 A4, 2.0T Quattro Avant SLine
    Sold - 2005 B7 A4, 1.8T Avant SLine

Quote Originally Posted by Tas_Audi View Post
    Not much has happened lately, work seems to get in the way of any serious carplay. When I first got the car I had it parked outside, then I found out the windscreen leaked so I shuffled cars around and moved it inside. It so happens that the leak ended up on the MPI control unit. Anyway I made up a switch and LED to diagnose MPI blink codes and low and behold no faults. I ran the output test and according to Bentley the test should first run run the fuel pump, then each injector in turn then the ISV followed up by the carbon canister valve. I get everything except the injector test. Just wondering if the MPI units for Aus delivered cars are different to the US delivered.It seems strange that none of the injectors get pulsed. Mind you it is difficult to hear what is happening with the feul pump and regulating valve going in the background. All injectors are OK and the MPI controller puts out a 12v signal pulse to the injector when the key is turned on. Any comments.

I was surprised when I checked fuel pressures, running at 3.9 bar, which is in spec and when the key is turned off fuel pressure holds for about 15 minutes, looks like non return valve and pump are OK. I did buy a new prior to the test. I will fir the new one once the build gets further advanced.

I have pulled the dash out of the 80 donor car, ex MattMatt, also pulled the heater and heater box. One thing is all the foam on the flaps etc is totally stuffed, you only have to touch it and it falls apart. I got hold of a sheet of 3mm foam and am currently refurbishing all the heater bits and pieces.

I picked a set of console gauges from EBay complete with wiring loom and instrument light booster, all tested OK. It'll be a while before I need them.

I have quite a few items in a shopping cart from the Audi Traddition shop but initially there payment system wasn't accepting CC payments, been like it for quite a while so I found out, now the site is down for maintenance, hopefully not for too much longer.
    I am very keen to see the 90 once it's running!

The 80 that you're grabbing parts from; Was my "first car" that I learned to drive in and it was also my old mans last Euro car which is why I love Audi's so much.

At one point I was actually going to restore it, but at the same time it's just a 2L Audi 80 so I'm happy that it's gone to a good place for parts and that it'll save a 20v Audi 90 Quattro.
    Current - 1999.5 B5 A4 1.8TQS

• K03-029
    • 3' Exhaust
    • KW v1's and more

Past - 1994 B4 80 V6 (2.6), 1992 B3 80 (2.0)