Thread: Quattro 90 Project

Default Quattro 90 Project

This weekend I picked up a 1989 B3 Quattro 90 with 7A engine.

The car has been kept outside for quite a while and not used. I have fungi growing in the carpet on the passenger side.

Tested some of the electrics today no real issues. I need to change engine oil before I start it. Oil looks diluted and smells of fuel. I got and 80 with the deal also, ex Matt-Matt, car, I will scavenge bonnet, bootlid lid and what ever else I think I will use in the future.

Will post pics once I can get attachments working. For some reason every time I add an attachment the pic is upside down
    Current - 2007 B7 RS4 Avant, APR Stage 3, Milltek with Hi Flo Cats, GruppeM intake, Sachs Clutch, Factory Ceramics, JHM Shifter, RS6 FBSTW, AMI & Hi Res RSNE
    Current - 2012 B8 A4, 2.0T Quattro Avant SLine
    Current - 2001 B5 S4 Imola Yellow Avant
    Current - 1989 B3 90 Quattro - 7A NA Engine, (Long Term Restoration Project)
    Sold - 2008 B7 A4, 2.0T Quattro Avant SLine
    Sold - 2005 B7 A4, 1.8T Avant SLine

Default Quattro 90 Pics

Needs a bit of TLC. Already have new bonnet, doors, boot lid etc.

1st job is to get it running again and then make a plan from there.

IMG_0260.jpgIMG_0262.jpgIMG_0261.jpgIMG_0263.jpg
    Current - 2007 B7 RS4 Avant, APR Stage 3, Milltek with Hi Flo Cats, GruppeM intake, Sachs Clutch, Factory Ceramics, JHM Shifter, RS6 FBSTW, AMI & Hi Res RSNE

3. Default

Never seen that colour before. I miss my 90q

Nice!! If you ever get board of it, I’ll take it off your hands. Drive train is a perfect upgrade for my b2 quattro
    Now - 2016 Golf R - Thinks he's an S3
    Then - 02 Golf Gti, 99 S4 Stage 1, 00 S4 Stage 3, 01 RS4 Stage 2, 77 Fox, 75 Fox, 87 200 Tq Stage 1, 82 coupe GT, 87 90 Quattro

Congrats, Ill be following you keenly! I like that first photo,
    I hope you can find it ready to run soon. keep us posted what goes on. (I could use the intel)
    '99 Quattro, stroked 2L
    Concept, tune and build by QMS
    EFR 6758, Bosch 1000cc, E85 @7bar, Bosch 413 in 034 surge tank. VVT cam timing upgrade. Controls by Eurodyne boost manager, V8 MAF, LC1, EGT. JE 9:1, 13kg 2L Crank, 475gm rods, Ferrea , Dowel pin crank, IE tensioner, 034 Pheno Spacer, FX400 240mm x6, Apikol SMIC, Miltek 2.75 Koni coils, Stoptech BB, Powerslot Rear, SS lines, 034 G/b, Apikol Diff mounts, APR snub mount.

You finally picked it up!

I'm keen to see it complete, I've seen this sitting there for a little bit and it was always a little sad because I love 90q's.

I hear that you got my old B3 (2.0L) as well? The engine in that was replaced with a known working engine too, the diff was shot in it about 2-3 weeks after that so i hardly drove it.

Also those look like my old rims on the 90q as well, I had them on my B3 and then changed them to my B4 until it was hit.
    Current - 1999.5 B5 A4 1.8TQS

• Chip Tune (Quattro MotorSport)
    • Borgwarner K03-029 Turbo
    • 3' Turboback Exhaust
    • Forge 007 Diverter/Splitter
    • D2 A8 Front Rotors (312mm)
    • ECS Poly Snub Mount
    • B6 A4 Auto-Dim Mirror
    • Kw V1 Coilovers
    • Turbosmart MBC

Past - 1994 B4 80 V6 (2.6), 1992 B3 80 (2.0)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt-Matt View Post
    You finally picked it up!

I'm keen to see it complete, I've seen this sitting there for a little bit and it was always a little sad because I love 90q's.

I hear that you got my old B3 (2.0L) as well? The engine in that was replaced with a known working engine too, the diff was shot in it about 2-3 weeks after that so i hardly drove it.

Also those look like my old rims on the 90q as well, I had them on my B3 and then changed them to my B4 until it was hit.

Yeah Matt, going to use what common spares I can from your car. Your old car still has 2 off its original wheels, same a what is on the quattro.

I'll play around with the electrics at the weekend. I notice it still has a burglar alarm. I will remove it as I assume it is tied into the 12v side of the ignition, may be why it would crank at Lance's place but not fire?

Anyway I'll keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Tas_Audi View Post
    Yeah Matt, going to use what common spares I can from your car. Your old car still has 2 off its original wheels, same a what is on the quattro.

I'll play around with the electrics at the weekend. I notice it still has a burglar alarm. I will remove it as I assume it is tied into the 12v side of the ignition, may be why it would crank at Lance's place but not fire?

Anyway I'll keep you posted.
    The wheels that were on my car were not that, when my old man got the car it had Audi hub caps (ew).

They put the NZ Audi made rims on it, which were on my B4 as I gave the car to Tas Audi Wreckers if he collected it and I kept my rims.

The rims on it would be some spares that he had from memory.

The issue with my old car was the diff (It's a FWD), it actually had a full engine swap with all the best bits from both motors and ran fine for a few weeks and then it was another big job that just was not worth the hassle in the end. This was back when I was 18 so I knew a lot less.

As for the alarm, not entirely sure if I recall. It was almost certainly third party/installed and not OEM from memory.

I do also recall that, the engine on that car had huge issues with the Idle Control valve (ICV) getting clogged with what appeared to be black charcoal/general crud and that intake cleaner fixed it many times when I had a rough (or stalling) idle.

The ignition was also swapped at some point as the barrel cracked which stopped my lights from working intermittently as well as windows, indicators, etc..
    So it had a separate key for the ignition compared to the chassis, so it may also be that too (From memory). He should have provided both keys I would imagine.

I'm now 24 so it's been almost six years since I had it so some of this is a little hard to remember and vauge, if you do have any questions feel free to text me, email or reply here.

I do recall that the best part of the car was the dash, as it was free from cracks and I had many "Audi" people comment on that too, the door cards were a bit sloppy but salvageable if you put some work into them from memory?

Basically everything engine related was tested/known working when it was running, gearbox is a no go is what I will suggest overall. Not sure how much that helps you with a 90q 20v however apart from body panels.

• 3' Turboback Exhaust
    • ECS Poly Snub Mount
    • B6 A4 Auto-Dim Mirror
    • Kw V1 Coilovers
    • Turbosmart MBC

Quote Originally Posted by Matt-Matt View Post
    .................................................. ......................................

I'm now 24 so it's been almost six years since I had it so some of this is a little hard to remember and vauge, if you do have any questions feel free to text me, email or reply here.

.................................................. ..........
    It doesn't get any better as you get older than that.
    B5 RS4 : Lightly modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    It doesn't get any better as you get older than that.
    I know.

• 3' Turboback Exhaust
    • ECS Poly Snub Mount
    • B6 A4 Auto-Dim Mirror
    • Kw V1 Coilovers
    • Turbosmart MBC