Thread: misfire issues 09 S3 8P2 Manual.

1. Default misfire issues 09 S3 8P2 Manual.

Hi everyone, need some help diagnosing a current issue with my car.

-
    2009 Manual S3 8PFL.
    - Engine number Ė CDL007643
    - Vin number Ė WAUZZZ8P19A031054
    - KMS Ė purchased at 70km currently at 90km.

Issue: I have compressor surge/misfire occurring on/off around the 3-4k RPM mark. This started about 2 months ago and i hadnít done anything in the weeks prior to this to then link the issues to. I scanned my faults using OBDeleven (donít have vagcom). And just got a misfire code for cylinder 3 (from memory). I went into limp mode the first time but after turning the car on and off it was almost as if it hadnít happened. It has since come and gone randomly. Its occurs most frequently in higher gears when on load in low RPM, before 4k.
    Typically when its not hitting limp mode if i floor it through 1st-3rd it goes through to redline no issue, full boost, though it doesnít feel 100%. But then if i back off and try to cruise the issue will rear its ugly ahead again. Oh also im not burning oil, no leaks, and if i drive around the issue and cruise through gears off boost it still makes pretty good fuel economy.

History: When i got the car a year ago the PCV valve faulted shortly after so fitted a 42DD PCV blockoff and stealth catch can. Fitted a DV+. Also pulled the intake and did a carbon clean, replaced the HPFP cam follower. Nil issues for 5 months following all these works.

Fixes so far: Iíve recently pulled apart and checked the DV+, replaced a worn o-ring (free thanks to GFB). It still bleeds off as normal, unsure how to guarantee its not the issue, but seems fine. Over previous weeks Iíve fitted R8 coils, new spark plugs, N75 and N80 valves, fuel filter, CTS intake, oil filer and oil and ran an injector cleaner.

Summary: What im looking for is solid ideas on how to diagnose what the issue is. If anyone local to me has VagCom that theyd be happy to scan my car with thatd be tops. Ive read plenty so am aware of most potential faults for these engines and its endless... (cam lobes worn, LPFP issues, MAF, MAP, boost sensors, intake flap faults, incorrect exh valve springs.. etc etc)
    Rather then continue going through replacing bits, which is gonna start getting more expensive id rather now try to find the issues cause. Yes i could take it to a shop, but im enjoying trying to do this by myself and learning alot as i go. Also to this point nothing ive replaced has been pointless or costly.

(thanks for reading my lengthy issues, pic include as reward )

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180428_161333.jpg  

I don’t think you said where you are based mate, sorry if I missed it

Quote Originally Posted by 180boi View Post
    Hi everyone, need some help diagnosing a current issue with my car.

-
    2009 Manual S3 8PFL.
    - Engine number Ė CDL007643
    - Vin number Ė WAUZZZ8P19A031054
    - KMS Ė purchased at 70km currently at 90km.

Issue: I have compressor surge/misfire occurring on/off around the 3-4k RPM mark. This started about 2 months ago and i hadnít done anything in the weeks prior to this to then link the issues to. I scanned my faults using OBDeleven (donít have vagcom). And just got a misfire code for cylinder 3 (from memory). I went into limp mode the first time but after turning the car on and off it was almost as if it hadnít happened. It has since come and gone randomly. Its occurs most frequently in higher gears when on load in low RPM, before 4k.
    Typically when its not hitting limp mode if i floor it through 1st-3rd it goes through to redline no issue, full boost, though it doesnít feel 100%. But then if i back off and try to cruise the issue will rear its ugly ahead again. Oh also im not burning oil, no leaks, and if i drive around the issue and cruise through gears off boost it still makes pretty good fuel economy.

History: When i got the car a year ago the PCV valve faulted shortly after so fitted a 42DD PCV blockoff and stealth catch can. Fitted a DV+. Also pulled the intake and did a carbon clean, replaced the HPFP cam follower. Nil issues for 5 months following all these works.

Fixes so far: Iíve recently pulled apart and checked the DV+, replaced a worn o-ring (free thanks to GFB). It still bleeds off as normal, unsure how to guarantee its not the issue, but seems fine. Over previous weeks Iíve fitted R8 coils, new spark plugs, N75 and N80 valves, fuel filter, CTS intake, oil filer and oil and ran an injector cleaner.

Summary: What im looking for is solid ideas on how to diagnose what the issue is. If anyone local to me has VagCom that theyd be happy to scan my car with thatd be tops. Ive read plenty so am aware of most potential faults for these engines and its endless... (cam lobes worn, LPFP issues, MAF, MAP, boost sensors, intake flap faults, incorrect exh valve springs.. etc etc)
    Rather then continue going through replacing bits, which is gonna start getting more expensive id rather now try to find the issues cause. Yes i could take it to a shop, but im enjoying trying to do this by myself and learning alot as i go. Also to this point nothing ive replaced has been pointless or costly.

(thanks for reading my lengthy issues, pic include as reward )

Disconnect the MAF, does it run the same?

I think itís the maf on the basis that it goes ok on WOT but misses when your your doing 2-3k rpm which is basically part throttle & that to me points to maf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    Disconnect the MAF, does it run the same?

I think it’s the maf on the basis that it goes ok on WOT but misses when your your doing 2-3k rpm which is basically part throttle & that to me points to maf.

Ill go try this right now, didnt think itd work at all if i disconnected it.

Quote Originally Posted by guile View Post
    I don’t think you said where you are based mate, sorry if I missed it

Out eastern of Melbourne, Boronia.

Ill go try this right now, didnt think itd work at all if i disconnected it.

It will run, just rough & over fuelled until WOT.

I not saying to push it hard, just to see if it runs very similar.

Do you have an oiled air filter?

no probs, I'm in Brisbane and was going to offer the vcds but its a bit of drive...

7. Default

So unplugged the MAF and didnt seem to make a difference. But hard to tell. Seems to be permanently in limp mode.

Cracked the ****s last night with it and order a new MAF, intake temp sensor and boost pressure sensor. So fingers crossed.

Also i think its an oiled filter, very similar to the K&N style filters.

So unplugged the MAF and didnt seem to make a difference. But hard to tell. Seems to be permanently in limp mode.

Cracked the ****s last night with it and order a new MAF, intake temp sensor and boost pressure sensor. So fingers crossed.

Also i think its an oiled filter, very similar to the K&N style filters.
    So if you unplugged MAF and it didn't seem to make a difference then that would tell you that the MAF is not operating as expected as there should be a considerable difference between MAF plugged in and MAF not plugged in.

When was the last time you oiled the filter, was it recently?

9. Default

Thatís very interesting