Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not servicing at dealerships... Log Book etc....?!?

Default Not servicing at dealerships... Log Book etc....?!?

So a burning question I had was how do people go along servicing their cars outside of the dealership network that is with the new "digital service schedule concept" with Audi (possibly my17 onwards).

To my knowledge, this is all done (recorded etc) in an Audi/VAG electronics database in some central system. Long past is the days of a workshop that can stamp and sign off in the log books...

What happens now if you don't go to a VAG dealership to service?

1. Is there any way of re-creating hard copies of the dealership servicing that has been carried out other than keeping copies all of the receipts?
    2. Where can an owner/third party servicing agent obtain details of exactly what is required at each future service in order to undertake Audi-compliant servicing as it is no longer in the service book?

All this seems suspiciously anti-competitive... and a forceful way of having Audi dealership networks only to service your car to be compliant...
    Last edited by morph.; June 18th, 2018 at 12:09 AM.
    MY17 8V II S3 Sedan | Audi Exclusive Sepang Blue S Performance Pack 1 Panoramic Roof Matrix Lights Black Optics Ext Mirror Pkg

2012 Golf R 2002 Silvia 200sx S15

edit: Ohhh miss read your post..

I choose to go to an independent for the level of service and honesty they provide.

All my past cars I have sold not once has the buyer been interested in who serviced the car, just as long as the book was complete.
    Last edited by Nath; June 14th, 2018 at 05:54 PM.
    MY16 Daytona RS3 | RS Performance | Assistance | Black High Gloss | Panoramic Roof | Stage 4+

Forged Engine | TTE625 w/ Turbosmart WG | E-Tuner Motorsport ECU & TCU | Wagner Evo 3 FMIC | SAR Downpipe | Milltek Decats | SAR 4" Intake | Forge Turbo Inlet | BMC Filter | Autotech HPFP | SRM LPFP & Controller | AEM Methanol Kit | Turbosmart EM Kompact | Mishimoto Catch Can | MSS Suspension | Michelin Cup 2's | Rays Forged ZE40's | DBA 5000 & Ferodo DS2500 | Flow Design lip | Innovate ECB-1

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nath For This Useful Post:

beanoyip (June 14th, 2018)

There is no log book thing anymore its all "electronic" for vag so not sure how this can be produced other than receipts?

And how would this technically affect warranty?
    MY17 8V II S3 Sedan | Audi Exclusive Sepang Blue S Performance Pack 1 Panoramic Roof Matrix Lights Black Optics Ext Mirror Pkg

2012 Golf R 2002 Silvia 200sx S15

Dealer servicing for me. We've bought 3 cars from Barry Bourke, and they've all been looked after very well with simple good quality personal service.
    Warranty items have been attended to promptly.
    Pickles.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pickles For This Useful Post:

timtamwima (April 21st, 2019)

Audi are a massive rip! I could understand if they would charge a little over what a normal mechanic would but they don’t.
    eg I was quoted $4500. I was told that the disc needed to be changed when in actual fact they still had not reached the minimum! I got away with only pads which cost me around $1000 including other little bits and pieces. After hearing nightmare stories about squeeking breaks mine are perfectly fine and break brilliantly!
    my mechanic has the VAG scanner and is investing in a brand new one very soon.
    There is absolutely no need to continue with the Dealership if you don’t wish to. You car will still be under warranty if something goes wrong as long as the mechanic used genuine parts.

If Anyone needs a great honest Mechanic please PM for details. He should be supported as not many around like him! He’s one of this old school Italians who prefer to lose than to lose face! Brilliant!
    Last edited by Barbalatte; June 15th, 2018 at 03:46 PM.
    S3 2000 147GTA 2003 R32 2006 S3 2009 SQ5 2013 RS3 2015

Quote Originally Posted by morph. View Post
    There is no log book thing anymore its all "electronic" for vag so not sure how this can be produced other than receipts?

And how would this technically affect warranty?
    When did they phase this out?

I have log books for my S3 Pre FL though
    Monsoon Grey 8V S3 Sportback - S-Tronic - Performance Pack - Sunroof - Assistance Pack - Mirror Pack

If the log book has been replaced with an electronic record kept by VAG then as a buyer I’d be just as happy with a stack of receipts from qualified mechanics showing the same history.

Factory dealership service has only 2 direct benefits in my mind - warranty repairs and recalls, and where factory training or diagnostics equipment is required. There’s also the possibility that the Australian arm of the manufacturer will be more accommodating to out of warranty good-will repairs if you have a dealer history, but that’s not guaranteed.

Beyond that, go with the service option you’re happiest with for your own vehicle. I wouldn’t spend more on dealer service just for the potential of making the next owner of your car feel better if that’s what floats their boat.

Let's stop whinging about the cost of servicing at Audi dealerships as anyone purchasing an Audi would already be aware and no end of this kind of debate will change that.
    Perhaps the questions at-hand are (as per Morph post below):
    1. Is there any way of re-creating hard copies of the dealership servicing that has been carried out other than keeping copies all of the receipts?
    2. Where can an owner/third party servicing agent obtain details of exactly what is required at each future service in order to undertake Audi-compliant servicing?

Dingah
    Dingah

2015 SQ5 TDI Sold
    2017 RSQ3 Performance Sold
    2018 S4
    Mrs B's Tiguan R-Line + APR

Quote Originally Posted by Dingah View Post
    Both Porsche Australia and Lamborghini will provide a full service and recall history for a car across all official service centres - it takes little more than an email with the VIN (and current owner’s permission). I assume Audi and VW would provide exactly the same service for their cars also.

Dingah, I donate to Charities already! I don’t care too much in Donating to people who don’t need it. Especially if they are exuberantly priced.
    Answer me this, why can you only get a set of RS3 Disc original from Audi? To boot what should cost $300-400 a corner cost in excess of $1200-$1300?? I’m prepared to pay a little extra but not double. I’m not stupid.
    S3 2000 147GTA 2003 R32 2006 S3 2009 SQ5 2013 RS3 2015