Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Advice on diesel (DPFs), buy or avoid?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    10,031
    Thanked: 477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by momento1 View Post
    I guess my other theory is that if the dpf does die on me, all im going to do is remove it and get it tuned out with an aftermarket tune.
    Better to pay 1500 odd instead of 6k
    All good until it comes time to get a roadworthy certificate and sell.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,779
    Thanked: 31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alister View Post
    All good until it comes time to get a roadworthy certificate and sell.
    Fair call.

    Still dont think its that big of a deal. Just be up front when selling, or trade it and be done.

    Or am i over simplifying it?

    I still dont see it as an issue. Its a car and things can go wrong on a car.
    Whether its 1 day out of warranty or 1 year. Whether its short trips or long trips.
    Unless the car is brand spanking new i just expect maintenance costs long term. Especially if im buying second hand.
    It is what it is.
    Current:
    - Audi S2 1993 - Kingfisher Blue - GTX3584rs + E98 = 760 whp

    - Porsche Macan S 2017 - Sapphire Blue


    Past:
    - Audi SQ5 2013 - Panther Black
    - Audi S4 2002 - Nogaro Blue - Stage 3+ 249 Kw atw
    - Audi S3 2001 - Silver -
    169 Kw atw

    *Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car and over steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car.
    *Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    2,445
    Thanked: 280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by momento1 View Post
    ..................................
    It is what it is.
    Today's best quote. Unless the main aim is to fill forum pages with questions about the difficulties experienced with the factory solutions, better to choose the car for the task. Since the beginning of time, diesel vehicles have been best suited to "commercial' style usage. Granted, technology has made them super competitive in some motor sport categories but that isn't for us. Pragmatically, if you're driving 5 minutes a day each way, buy a fiat 500 or a small electric car. Save the 500 HP examples for the open road. I bought a new diesel in 2001, it did what it did, I drove it as it was meant to be driven, very happy with it in 13 years of ownership. Time and emissions laws moved on and personally, I wouldn't have a new diesel as it doesn't suit my needs and I'm fortunate enough to be able to choose not to buy a new petrol model either, to avoid the increasingly mandatory software impositions. First to admit that having the choice to avoid the latest impositions is definitely not for everyone but it is worth knowing that it is a choice that is available, particularly if post caveman performance is your trip of choice.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : modified -- B5 Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- 2007 VW Touareg TDI -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,779
    Thanked: 31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    Today's best quote. Unless the main aim is to fill forum pages with questions about the difficulties experienced with the factory solutions, better to choose the car for the task. Since the beginning of time, diesel vehicles have been best suited to "commercial' style usage. Granted, technology has made them super competitive in some motor sport categories but that isn't for us. Pragmatically, if you're driving 5 minutes a day each way, buy a fiat 500 or a small electric car. Save the 500 HP examples for the open road. I bought a new diesel in 2001, it did what it did, I drove it as it was meant to be driven, very happy with it in 13 years of ownership. Time and emissions laws moved on and personally, I wouldn't have a new diesel as it doesn't suit my needs and I'm fortunate enough to be able to choose not to buy a new petrol model either, to avoid the increasingly mandatory software impositions. First to admit that having the choice to avoid the latest impositions is definitely not for everyone but it is worth knowing that it is a choice that is available, particularly if post caveman performance is your trip of choice.
    Tesla driver i presume?
    Even if your not, Tesla is a nice choice for anyone who can afford
    Current:
    - Audi S2 1993 - Kingfisher Blue - GTX3584rs + E98 = 760 whp

    - Porsche Macan S 2017 - Sapphire Blue


    Past:
    - Audi SQ5 2013 - Panther Black
    - Audi S4 2002 - Nogaro Blue - Stage 3+ 249 Kw atw
    - Audi S3 2001 - Silver -
    169 Kw atw

    *Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car and over steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car.
    *Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    2,445
    Thanked: 280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by momento1 View Post
    Tesla driver i presume?
    Even if your not, Tesla is a nice choice for anyone who can afford
    A very interesting question from left field. If by Tesla you mean the nearly 20 year old RS4 in the signature block, then yes. Three 2000 / 2001 B5 / C5 Audi versions littering my parking spaces. The only other is the worlds slowest 4WD, a 63 unimog. I'm in the camp that says that a good driver can still manage without the various electronic driver aids that are no longer optional as car design progresses.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : modified -- B5 Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- 2007 VW Touareg TDI -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,779
    Thanked: 31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    A very interesting question from left field. If by Tesla you mean the nearly 20 year old RS4 in the signature block, then yes. Three 2000 / 2001 B5 / C5 Audi versions littering my parking spaces. The only other is the worlds slowest 4WD, a 63 unimog. I'm in the camp that says that a good driver can still manage without the various electronic driver aids that are no longer optional as car design progresses.
    ahh yes.... First world problems! driving aids.

    kinda like my semi old school '93 S2... no driving aids, unless you call ABS driving aid....

    Raw is nicer.

    .... but then again, thats what she said
    Last edited by momento1; July 19th, 2018 at 04:47 PM.
    Current:
    - Audi S2 1993 - Kingfisher Blue - GTX3584rs + E98 = 760 whp

    - Porsche Macan S 2017 - Sapphire Blue


    Past:
    - Audi SQ5 2013 - Panther Black
    - Audi S4 2002 - Nogaro Blue - Stage 3+ 249 Kw atw
    - Audi S3 2001 - Silver -
    169 Kw atw

    *Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car and over steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car.
    *Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ust-Kamenogorsk, Kazakhstan, currently far south coast NSW
    Posts
    168
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Hi, whilst I don't have Q/SQ5, I've a 2011 A6 allroad 3.0TDI. I bought in 2020 from owner in inner city Sydney and it'd only been used for trips to & from shops/city 5-10km max daily. "Luckily" in 2020, I was doing 600km fortnightly trips for chemo and never had problems with DPF/EGR systems. Once I ceased the long trips, after a couple of months, the DPF (engine light) & EGR (glow plug light?) came on. The local mechanic reset it and I added Nulon diesel guard every couple of fills for about 6 months and the lights haven't reappeared, until earlier this week when the DPF one came on.

    Given that the pandemic has had the effect of far fewer and shorter trips, I'm guessing that's the reason for the appearance of the DPF light. I took the car for a 50km 80-100km/hr run all over 2 000 rpm in manual this morning and the light has now extinguished.

    The question, is there any value to resume adding either the Nulon additive or start using the Liqui-Moly Diesel Particulate Filter Anti-Clog during this period of constrained driving or should I just do the 50km trip monthly?

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    2,445
    Thanked: 280

    Default

    There is a little hint of witchcraft in additives that suggest they resolve mechanical problems. They may work and again they may not meet your expectations. The DPF captures the post combustion particulate emissions and burns them off as you know by driving and heat over time. I have always advocated no diesel for city miles, the whole engine concept is for long distance continuous running. My 2 cents worth, do your monthly miles as a maintenance procedure. Otherwise get a petrol or even an Ev as a run-about. You could treat the DPF as a renewable filter, which is perfectly reasonable but your pockets need to be even deeper to do that.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : modified -- B5 Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- 2007 VW Touareg TDI -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to IchBautAuto For This Useful Post:

    NucMed (January 23rd, 2022)

  10. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ust-Kamenogorsk, Kazakhstan, currently far south coast NSW
    Posts
    168
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Not city, far south coast NSW, just that the pandemic has necessarily constrained "normal" driving, but will continue doing the monthly 50km "burn" to keep it relatively clean rather than using additives until closer to "normal" returns. As an aside, I found a PDF from what appears to be a Volkswagen Technical Support Specialist on DPF regeneration ... http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/a...0/14956.attach

  11. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    2,445
    Thanked: 280

    Default

    Spot on, which isn't much help to you really. Just a case of a power plant that isn't all things to all men. Like everything it has it's limitations and fingers crossed we will all get back to some sense of normality and driving this year. I suspect that every year we will be seeing harsher emissions restrictions which will see new technical problems arise for owners.
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : modified -- B5 Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- 2007 VW Touareg TDI -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to IchBautAuto For This Useful Post:

    NucMed (January 23rd, 2022)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •