Thread: What tyre to buy for 255/35/R19?

Default What tyre to buy for 255/35/R19?

Hi!

I have an A5 (S line). Currently the tyres are Pirelli, and the car had only been driven for 25ks on these tyres (they are finished).

1- Is there a brand that can last up to 40000 kms (I know it depends on how you drive a car too)?
    2- What do you think about changing from 19 inch rims to 18 inches? My friend told me there are tyres for 18 inche wheels that can easily last up to 60000km.

Thanks

My new A4 Quattro came with Hankook and to my surprise, they were really good. I just replaced them at 48,000ks with my favourite Mitchlin P Zeros.
    1997 A3 1.8T sold
    2000 TT quattro sold
    2005 Lava Grey A3 2.0 TFSI DSG Sportback, Open Sky, roof racks, Vienna Leather. Sold
    2006 Black A4 2.0 TFSI S-line Quattro Avant Sold
    2009 White A4 2.0 TFSI Quattro Avant, Open Sky roof, MMi+ 19" rims, Bang and Olufsen, adaptive cruse, Oak Beaufort trim. Sold
    2016 A4 Quattro sport Avant, Manhattan Gray, Panno roof, Technik package, Assistance package. Sold
    2018 S4 Avant, Sports diff, S performance package, Technik package, honeycomb grille.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Phydaux For This Useful Post:

RFA5 (September 18th, 2018)

4. Default

I have a 2013 A5 Sportback S-Line with factory 20". Had original Contis up until 6 months ago when I got new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Highly recommend the Michelins. For a grippy tyre these are meant to have very good mileage. Check their website.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to McFly For This Useful Post:

RFA5 (September 18th, 2018)

WOW!! I only got half that. A few fast country drives, a little dirt and about 3,000km towing a motorcycle trailer. Also replaced with Pilot 4S. I have Michelin on all my modern bikes as well. On the motorcycle tyres there are three compounds so you stand a chance of getting decent use before the centre tread wears down. Best combination of wet weather and grip tyre available.

Quote Originally Posted by RFA5 View Post
    Hi!

I have an A5 (S line). Currently the tyres are Pirelli, and the car had only been driven for 25ks on these tyres (they are finished).

1- Is there a brand that can last up to 40000 kms (I know it depends on how you drive a car too)?
    2- What do you think about changing from 19 inch rims to 18 inches? My friend told me there are tyres for 18 inche wheels that can easily last up to 60000km.

Thanks
    As said, everything depends on how you drive your car and your exact road conditions. You'll need to find someone just like you to be confident in getting similar mileage. I have 40,000+ from a set of Pirelli P Zero on my RS so I'd be happy to recommend them but you might get much less. I have also a set of Yokohama Geolander tyres on my allroad that have clocked up more than 40,000 Km.

Maybe it's time to find out why your tyres aren't lasting. After all these are not gumball race tyres. Where is the wear? edges or center? Only one edge? Scuffed tread? You'll stuff your tyres if you hit roundabouts too fast and understeer heavily. Bad choice of tyre pressures. The correct tyre pressure is all about your cars weight. Upping the pressure only wears the center of the tread and lowering it wears the edges. You may thing you have a handling improvement but that could just be less front end traction. Alignment. Even new cars can be way way out.

Short answer, you'll get plenty of recommendations for tyres that work well for the guy responding but both he and you will have no idea if they'll work for you in the same way. Not all tyres are created equal but that doesn't mean that on the street you can't get acceptable mileage and handling from any tyre rated for your cars weight and speed potential. Slightly smaller rim diameters may improve the comfort and in some sizes, give you a greater range of tyres to choose from.

Just a note here too, if the same driver is going from 25K to 60K tyre life in the same car without any other changes than rim diameter then those tyres must be as hard as hell and will not be even remotely comparable with what you are driving now.
    B5 RS4 : Lightly modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IchBautAuto For This Useful Post:

Pickles (November 14th, 2018), RFA5 (December 11th, 2018)

You get what you pay for in tyres.
    Also you reap what you sow in terms of setup and use preferences vs tyre life

Buy a decent tyre (pzero, sportmax etc), If you are concerned you arenít getting tyre life, then you really need to be looking at suspension setup and driving style.

personally I have chosen handling over life, camber setup means my tyres will wear on the inside first, but I donít drive it every day or do high km, so I donít care about getting lots of kms tyre life.

fitted Khumo KE39 tyres to my B7 RS4 about 8xmths ago (on a recommendation) and have been very impressed with their performance and wear rates. They hang on well in wet or dry; good under braking; low road noise and compare equal if not better than the original Bridgestones - but at a much better value price. (note:- make sure you buy from a reputable dealer - such as Tyrepower/imported by Khumo Australia and not the Chinese made model from the on-line retailers) On my advice - a friend also bought these for his Alfa and also very happy!