Thread: First Audi - A3 Quattro sedan

1. Default First Audi - A3 Quattro sedan

Happy to join - it has already been a very useful forum, so thanks to all the contributing members.

I have come from a Toyota 86, so I am still getting used to the driving position (still love the 86 for that) but very happy with the extra grunt and the quieter ride. I like the looks (but think the 86 still looks good, aside from a dud nose).

Only gripes so far are:
    1. The lack of keyless entry. I know it is in the Comfort Package - but it is standard on the 86 GTS and should be the same on a "prestige" car. I have walked up the car several times, wondering why the doors wouldn't open - and have reached for the start button. I do miss the auto-dimming mirror I used to have on my Golf GTI... again this is a prestige brand, but maybe I should have waited for the 2-wheel drive with Comfort.
    2. The inability to change the cruise-control in 1-kmh increments. I have read the comments with people saying it's not needed with ACC, but I respectfully disagree. My speedo reads about 4kmh high at 110kmh and I would like to be doing a real 110kmh when I am in the clear on the highway, not 106kmh. Other cars in the VW/Audi family have it with ACC, so it doesn't make sense.

Also - why do I have to reset the distance every time I use it - can't it remember like my wife's Tiguan?
    3. The lane change guidance is nice in theory, and maybe if I was doing a lot of long distance driving it would be good, but I find the artificial heaviness on the steering wheel a nuisance, so it is now turned off 99% of the time. (Can I swap it for the keyless entry please?????)
    4. The promise of Audi Connect - 'nuff said.

This is not a bag-out - just some constructive advice for Audi. I still like the car and I am happy I have joined the in-crowd.

You can retrofit those features, kufatek sell most of the parts.
    1997 A3 1.8T sold
    2000 TT quattro still going strong.
    2005 Lava Grey A3 2.0 TFSI DSG Sportback, Open Sky, roof racks, Vienna Leather. Sold
    2006 Black A4 2.0 TFSI S-line Quattro Avant Sold
    2009 White A4 2.0 TFSI Quattro Avant, Open Sky roof, MMi+ 19" rims, Bang and Olufsen, adaptive cruse, Oak Beaufort trim. Sold
    2016 A4 Quattro sport Avant, Manhattan Gray, Panno roof, Technik package, Assistance package. Sold

Quote Originally Posted by A3Fan View Post
    Happy to join - it has already been a very useful forum, so thanks to all the contributing members.

I have come from a Toyota 86, so I am still getting used to the driving position (still love the 86 for that) but very happy with the extra grunt and the quieter ride. I like the looks (but think the 86 still looks good, aside from a dud nose).

Only gripes so far are:
    1. The lack of keyless entry. I know it is in the Comfort Package - but it is standard on the 86 GTS and should be the same on a "prestige" car. I have walked up the car several times, wondering why the doors wouldn't open - and have reached for the start button. I do miss the auto-dimming mirror I used to have on my Golf GTI... again this is a prestige brand, but maybe I should have waited for the 2-wheel drive with Comfort.
    2. The inability to change the cruise-control in 1-kmh increments. I have read the comments with people saying it's not needed with ACC, but I respectfully disagree. My speedo reads about 4kmh high at 110kmh and I would like to be doing a real 110kmh when I am in the clear on the highway, not 106kmh. Other cars in the VW/Audi family have it with ACC, so it doesn't make sense.

Also - why do I have to reset the distance every time I use it - can't it remember like my wife's Tiguan?
    3. The lane change guidance is nice in theory, and maybe if I was doing a lot of long distance driving it would be good, but I find the artificial heaviness on the steering wheel a nuisance, so it is now turned off 99% of the time. (Can I swap it for the keyless entry please?????)
    4. The promise of Audi Connect - 'nuff said.

This is not a bag-out - just some constructive advice for Audi. I still like the car and I am happy I have joined the in-crowd.
    2. I agree it's a pain. I just press the cruise button when I get to the speed I want (118kmh in a 110kmh zone).
    3. Not sure what you mean. It doesn't add any heaviness to the steering, only when you're moving out of your lane. You can have the default distance selection added to the MMI if you have VCDS or similar.
    4. Yep 'nuff said!
    Tango Red S3 MY17 | Mirror Pkg | Black Pkg | Roof Rails Black | SPP 1 | Asst Pkg | Design Selection 2 | Privacy | Panoramic Sun Roof |
    Previously -Black S3 MY09 | Pearl Black S3 MY01| Ming Blue A3T MY00 | Laser Red A3 MY99 |

4. Default

Ok - 2 months in and enjoying the drive, especially the extra grunt and more-so with S-mode on the gear shift.

I've noticed that the engine-stop mode is disabled in the S-mode, which is nice. I am looking at the OBDeleven to do something about that, but I notice the two retailers are edging their prices up!

The thing that is continually annoying me (other than the cruise control increments I mentioned above) is that @#$$%^ privacy message. I understand they want to cover their butts legally for using my data, but really? - three or four times a drive??? I'd even accept once a month, but not a few times every time the car is started.

The next thing will be an apology message for interrupting me so many times... and yes I know if you ignore it goes away - that's not the point and it interrupts the map function.

Oh - and one more - radio text. The only way I can read the FM radio text (song info, temp, promos etc) is to go into the menu and work out which is the latest message - why doesn't it come up on screen with the station ID like every other car? Is there a way of fixing that?