Thread: Older S3 Buying guidelines

1. Default Older S3 Buying guidelines

Hi everyone.

I am looking to finally become an Audi owner and am interested in the S3s. Looking at 2009 - 2012 cars in the range of 80K-150K kms. Facelift model, 5 door with DSG

I just wanted to get some insight to thing to be on the look out for. Common mechanic issues, quirks, anything really.
    Any issues to look for with vehicles around that usage? (100k -150K kms)

And idea of General Servicing costs, best comprehensive insurance.

Tell me everything. good and bad.

Cheers
    Waps
    Last edited by Waps; September 14th, 2018 at 01:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Waps View Post
    Hi everyone.

I am looking to finally become an Audi owner and am interested in the S3s. Looking at 2009 - 2012 cars in the range of 80K-150K kms.

I just wanted to get some insight to thing to be on the look out for. Common mechanic issues, quirks, anything really.
    Any issues to look for with vehicles around that usage? (100k -150K kms)

And idea of General Servicing costs, best comprehensive insurance.

Tell me everything. good and bad.

Cheers
    Waps
    Hi Waps. 2009 - 2012 is the facelift 8P so you're on track. I had a 2009 8P for a number of years and it was a reliable car. Only major problem I had was the Haldex pump which was around $1k to replace including labour. Make sure it's been regularly serviced (at least annually) and make sure the big ticket item - timing belt has been done within the last 4 years or 90k kms, whichever comes first. Water pump should ideally be replaced at the same time as the belt while they have that part of the engine apart. That's around a $1200 service at an independent. Brakes are expensive on Audi's as generally the disks need changing at the same time as the pads so so check these and use as a bargaining tool if pads are thin. They are a great car and good luck!

Edit: If you have access to VCDS or similar to plug into the ECU then you can read any fault codes which may be present and this will give you an indication of any problems.
    Last edited by Mitch; September 12th, 2018 at 03:24 PM.
    Tango Red S3 MY17 | Mirror Pkg | Black Pkg | Roof Rails Black | SPP 1 | Asst Pkg | Design Selection 2 | Privacy | Panoramic Sun Roof |
    Previously -Black S3 MY09 | Pearl Black S3 MY01| Ming Blue A3T MY00 | Laser Red A3 MY99 |

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitch For This Useful Post:

Waps (September 12th, 2018)