Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best option for 11.XX car - PFL RS3 or FL S3??

I have both.

2014 S3 52,000k. 2 years modified by APR Stage 2 with Milltek exhaust. 2016 RS3 17,000k. Unmodified.

Fastest acceleration? S3 by a small margin.
    Fastest on track? S3 - better balance.
    Servicing? S3 cheaper and tires + brakes last longer. S3 more economical ever after tuning.
    Sound? Millet exhaust is loud and pops and bangs. RS3 has a natural cracking exhaust.
    RS3 has better ride.
    Gear box? 7 Speed box is better(RS3)
    Looks? RS3 sportier.
    Longevity? Modified S3 will probably wear out quicker with all that power.

What would I buy again/next? RS3

My 2cents worth of advice

MY14 S3 Panther black sedan + MY16 RS3 Catalina Red SB
    GregC
    MY14 S3 Panther Black APR Stage 2 Milltek Turbo Back Exhaust

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GregC For This Useful Post:

Dreddpax (April 4th, 2019)

Quote Originally Posted by GregC View Post
    I have both.

2014 S3 52,000k. 2 years modified by APR Stage 2 with Milltek exhaust. 2016 RS3 17,000k. Unmodified.

Fastest acceleration? S3 by a small margin.
    Fastest on track? S3 - better balance.
    Servicing? S3 cheaper and tires + brakes last longer. S3 more economical ever after tuning.
    Sound? Millet exhaust is loud and pops and bangs. RS3 has a natural cracking exhaust.
    RS3 has better ride.
    Gear box? 7 Speed box is better(RS3)
    Looks? RS3 sportier.
    Longevity? Modified S3 will probably wear out quicker with all that power.

What would I buy again/next? RS3

My 2cents worth of advice

MY14 S3 Panther black sedan + MY16 RS3 Catalina Red SB
    totally agree with all of the above. Had a stage 1 S3, then a 16 stage 1 RS3. The RS3 is a different car and if you can afford it then you should. Definitely more expensive to run. I'm in a stage 1 FL RS3 now. Great car!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddpax View Post
    ...............I guess my biggest pitfall in an RS3 are all the nuisances that come with owning one - for example, more expensive insurance, services etc.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Absolutely agree with comments. My recommendation came from the words above, costs. You have to agree that if costs are an issue then recommending the RS3 does not accord with the posters concerns.
    B5 RS4 : Lightly modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Quote Originally Posted by Dingah View Post
    As ever words of wisdom from Tony; however...........
    There is an enormous difference between the S3 regardless of tune and the RS3 so ponder with care; of all the reasons to go RS3, the wonderful hand fashioned 5 pot engine which is a true Audi artefact and something to experience and enjoy is the one.
    Sure with any RS you have to pay to play but a year or so's worth of devaluation should help.
    Further, those little extras do add up and you'll always be left wondering.
    Fortunately for me the cost difference between S4 and RS4 was too huge to even start a debate.
    The S3 is not so far off a GTi/R which are noisy little go-karts with limited finesse.
    If you are coming from a Camry or Mitsubishi something they appear a tremendous step up but I played briefly the other way - I considered a R waggon after an Audi SQ5 and it took around five minutes in the R to seriously question whether I was under the influence of mind altering substances.
    Such is the difference between the RS3 and the S3.
    Even if you believe that they are as common as and sometimes driven in a ludicrous manner (see threads on tyre wear!) it's about your driving experience and not theirs.
    Time for thought and good luck whatever your decision - just make sure it's not a BMW unless you are considering taking up hairdressing (lobs the hand grenade and heads off on weekend......)

Happy motoring.
    BMW = Hairdresses car for some. For others the rs3 in comparison to a bmw is like that scrawny kid in the gym that can run fast, but has a high pitched cracking voice and can only bench press the bar and cant stack on any weight compared to the hairy backed dude that's got a deep voice and can bench presses 4 times the weight of the scrawny kid. Rs3 on the downshift blips are pretty tame and a bmw has it all over it in that department. Just need to buy the bmw with the grunt. If you classify the S65 engine as a girls blow dryer, the rs3 engine must be equivalent to a curling wand. Heres a tip, I test drove a 4 ringed unboosted car for nearly half the price of the OP is xontemplating, manual and bit of grunt. 169k on the clock, unmolested except for line to the exhaust flap was blocked. Super tight and impressive drive. Plenty of bang for investment buck from a butt dyno perspective and third pedal is very engaging. But if you are boost junky like me, the novelty of noise and a linear pull just doesnt cut it. I'd buy the rs3, drive it for 3 years at which time you should be able to step in a bees knees turbo for 20k changeover. Eg step up to wheels with 5 rings not 4. and a gas axed ( 2 cyclinders lopped of )Californian v8 twin turbo engine.
    Last edited by smit2100; April 5th, 2019 at 02:07 AM.