Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best option for 11.XX car - PFL RS3 or FL S3??

1. Default Best option for 11.XX car - PFL RS3 or FL S3??

Both are about $6X.XXXk now. So is a stage 2 (tune andDP) FL S3 quicker than a stage 1 (tune only) PFL RS3?

What's the best bang for buck? Or is a PFL S3 just as fast as a FL S3 and therefore a stage 2 PFL S3 even better bang for buck?

RS3. More potential, just a better car. The FL S3 will feel newer but it’s just not a RS3.

Quote Originally Posted by ewok666 View Post
    RS3. More potential, just a better car. The FL S3 will feel newer but it’s just not a RS3.
    Here Here! RS3 for the win...
    Past - MY16 S3 Sedan S Tronic
    His - MY18 RS3 Sedan | Daytona Grey | RS Design | RS Perf 1 | Matrix | Blk Gloss | Phone Bx |Sunroof and much more...
    Hers - MY17 Tiguan 162 R line | Tungsten Silver | Assistance | Sunroof | and more...

4. Default

I’m not sure why there wasn’t a hell of a lot more chat about this!

I’m looking for a 8V S3 FL and noticed that PFL rs3 are virtually the same price.. I’m also wondering what would be a better “investment”? In fun of course!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s a no contest really....
    S3 2000 147GTA 2003 R32 2006 S3 2009 SQ5 2013 RS3 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddpax View Post
    ........................... I’m also wondering what would be a better “investment”? In fun of course!

Terminology sure is less accurate than it used to be. Every time that word is used, up go asking prices. Very few make money on cars, and yes I did notice the fun bit, but people are forever hopeful. I'd say buy a car in the sure and certain knowledge that you'll lose money and then go ahead with no misconceptions about what it'll cost you.

On that basis, an RS comes with all the little extras that make a car "whole". If you're buying an RS to drive, there is your answer. You'll never upgrade an S3 to that level, at least without just burning money. If you're buying it to look at, buy the S3, less chance of the car being previously owned by a mechanical dunderhead who red lines it from his driveway each morning.

Lots of RS3 around, almost a mainstream model in it's own right. Around my neck of the woods they are plentiful, not something that you would convince people is an exclusive model. Mostly on lease from those I speak to and the model of the month, with many moving to BM or MB as the replacement, so not your traditional car enthusiast.

Buy the one you fancy and pay the bills as the come up. Enjoy!
    B5 RS4 : Lightly modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    Terminology sure is less accurate than it used to be. Every time that word is used, up go asking prices. Very few make money on cars, and yes I did notice the fun bit, but people are forever hopeful. I'd say buy a car in the sure and certain knowledge that you'll lose money and then go ahead with no misconceptions about what it'll cost you.

On that basis, an RS comes with all the little extras that make a car "whole". If you're buying an RS to drive, there is your answer. You'll never upgrade an S3 to that level, at least without just burning money. If you're buying it to look at, buy the S3, less chance of the car being previously owned by a mechanical dunderhead who red lines it from his driveway each morning.

Lots of RS3 around, almost a mainstream model in it's own right. Around my neck of the woods they are plentiful, not something that you would convince people is an exclusive model. Mostly on lease from those I speak to and the model of the month, with many moving to BM or MB as the replacement, so not your traditional car enthusiast.

Buy the one you fancy and pay the bills as the come up. Enjoy!
    I can completely understand what you’re advising. And to be honest - makes a lot of sense. I guess my biggest pitfall in an RS3 are all the nuisances that come with owning one - for example, more expensive insurance, services etc.

At times it makes it hard to justify the purchase of one. I also assume that a new rs3 model will follow along with the new a3 release and then s3 release. Making the PFL model 3 generations old, effectively.

Has anyone owned an rs3 vs an s3 upgrade or downgraded and can give some pros and cons?

Cheers

I don't own an RS3 by choice. I'm analogue and like the interaction with a car but that's a personal thing. The bills are an issue, the RS tax is applied without fear or favour and gets more insidious as time passes. In the B5 world it's legendary, and I'm sure that the opportunity to turn an extra buck won't be passed by for the current range. Yours is a common problem, when new, sells to many who justify it through the lease system, from there on it starts to head towards user pays until it reaches the guys who can just scrape together the purchase price before some real enthusiast buys it and pours in buckets of money to get it back to where it should be. It has ever been thus, nothing new.

My advice based on what you have said, buy the newest you can find, it'll be the S3 for sure, you'll stand the best chance of a lower loss when you move it on. Less chance of being bent over for repairs or insurance too. In some ways you need to be a particular type to buy into the RS world on the second hand bandwagon. Cost of ownership needs to be something that doesn't enter you head.
    B5 RS4 : Lightly modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

As ever words of wisdom from Tony; however...........
    There is an enormous difference between the S3 regardless of tune and the RS3 so ponder with care; of all the reasons to go RS3, the wonderful hand fashioned 5 pot engine which is a true Audi artefact and something to experience and enjoy is the one.
    Sure with any RS you have to pay to play but a year or so's worth of devaluation should help.
    Further, those little extras do add up and you'll always be left wondering.
    Fortunately for me the cost difference between S4 and RS4 was too huge to even start a debate.
    The S3 is not so far off a GTi/R which are noisy little go-karts with limited finesse.
    If you are coming from a Camry or Mitsubishi something they appear a tremendous step up but I played briefly the other way - I considered a R waggon after an Audi SQ5 and it took around five minutes in the R to seriously question whether I was under the influence of mind altering substances.
    Such is the difference between the RS3 and the S3.
    Even if you believe that they are as common as and sometimes driven in a ludicrous manner (see threads on tyre wear!) it's about your driving experience and not theirs.
    Time for thought and good luck whatever your decision - just make sure it's not a BMW unless you are considering taking up hairdressing (lobs the hand grenade and heads off on weekend......)

Happy motoring.
    Dingah

2015 SQ5 TDI Sold
    2017 RSQ3 Performance Sold
    2018 S4
    Mrs B's Tiguan R-Line + APR

NO CONTEST.
    We've owned both, initially S3, then PFL '16 RS3, both purchased new, still own the RS3,....... which has it all over the S3.
    S3 is a great car, but RS3 is an "AWESOME" car, heaps more power, more torque from that lovely 2.5L engine.
    Wifey owns ours, it's done around 20ks, it's just a "super" car, wifey can't get the smile off her face every time she's in it.
    Anyway, enough raving from me, your dollars, your choice. I suggest you drive both & make up your own mind.
    Pickles.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pickles For This Useful Post:

Dreddpax (April 4th, 2019)