Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of Selling My B5 RS4 with only 52,000kms!

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TRS4 View Post
    Good luck with the redbook/glassguide theory.
    Nothing wrong with redhbook/ glassguide. Just depends which side of the fence you are on and how and what you are applying the numbers for.
    Last edited by smit2100; October 11th, 2018 at 10:07 PM.

you still know my thoughts on a suitable replacement don
    SOLD!!! 01 black b5 rs4

14 suzuka grey b8 rs4 - bang & olufsen sound system, high beam assistant, black exterior styling package, heated front seats, rear manual sunblinds, panoramic sunroof, dynamic steering, digital radio, assistance package +side assist, dynamic sports package 3, oem rear cargo mat, Lakin number plate delete mod

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TRS4 View Post
    That minty example from S.A you speak of is the one I bought.. I certainly paid on the higher side but no regrets whatsoever. Given it appears from all my research to be the lowest example in the country. The condition is as close to brand new in every aspect. Certainly wasn't bought for future investment values. But more I had to tick owning a B5 RS4 off my bucket list.

Since acquiring the car, i've had a few offers similar to my purchase price, however I have zero intent on parting ways with it.

Yes its a buyers market and at the end of the day a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay. But condition can and will always play a part to some degree.

If you acquire one for $40k< I can confidently tell you you'll be spending a pretty penny on fixing any small and worn out items from trims to bushes, gaskets etc etc. depending on how OCD you are.
    So was the rubber bits on your mint example taken car of by previous owners or are ou now speaking from experience with even a minty ridiculously low km example. I have a view that rubber deteriorates over time regardless of use or mintiness. No issues oif it's a garage queen but and only does a weekly spin around the block or a few car days and sees little boost.

Quote Originally Posted by smit2100 View Post
    So was the rubber bits on your mint example taken car of by previous owners or are ou now speaking from experience with even a minty ridiculously low km example. I have a view that rubber deteriorates over time regardless of use or mintiness. No issues oif it's a garage queen but and only does a weekly spin around the block or a few car days and sees little boost.
    I think I can safely say, as some who has rebuilt the entire under side of a B5 RS4, that the rubber is more prone to wear from kms travelled than age. I have 11 years of receipts and a log book since new, going through them, I could only find transmission and engine mounts changed due to failure. Half of what I replaced was still ok and as a result, sold on to those who wanted OEM parts. A car kept in a garage for its life will be in much better condition than one left on the street and subject to the harsh Australian conditions.
    A car looked after as well as the one this thread is about, is a unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Falco View Post
    I think I can safely say, as some who has rebuilt the entire under side of a B5 RS4, that the rubber is more prone to wear from kms travelled than age. I have 11 years of receipts and a log book since new, going through them, I could only find transmission and engine mounts changed due to failure. Half of what I replaced was still ok and as a result, sold on to those who wanted OEM parts. A car kept in a garage for its life will be in much better condition than one left on the street and subject to the harsh Australian conditions.
    A car looked after as well as the one this thread is about, is a unicorn.
    I'd agree to the point that the aging process outcomes are different. Take the front suspension upper arms. 18 years old, one car travelled 50,000Km and one 250,000 Km. For example A, Measure the concentricity of the metal bush within the arm. It will not be central due to the weight of the car distorting the bush. The bush won't have much radial wear visible as the arms haven't cycled that much. The elastomer may look OK but will have aging wear.

Now take example B, The whole bush will look worn out. The metal will be visibly non concentric, the elastomer will likely have tears and cracks from the arm cycling during suspension movement and you'll be able to get lateral movement with little effort. Example B will be shagged if it lasted that long before replacement. Example A will look OK but the aging effects are not a visible indicator.

Throughout the commercial world of rubber / elastomer use in mechanical systems, the items are lifed and replacement is mandatory. Hoses / belts / mounts all fall into that category and turning a blind eye will not make them well again. I'm no saint in this area but I do apply some risk management to the cost of failure. Hoses and belt failure can be catastrophic and costly, happens suddenly. Suspension bush wear is mostly gradual and less likely, although not impossible for the failure to be catastrophic.
    B5 RS4 : Lightly modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

When rs4s sell for realistic prices
    Sold for 32knzd

With a quote for roll on roll off
    Fully complied
    Of $4800nzd

Thats under 34k aud landed and complied and taxes paid

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I wish it was that easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by joebut21 View Post
    Sold for 32knzd

Fully complied
    Of $4800nzd

2000 AUDI B5 S4 AVANT SILVER

2008 AUDI B7 RS4 AVANT DAYTONA

Sold for 32knzd

Fully complied
    Of $4800nzd

Good luck getting the car into aus

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Audi A3 1.8T

Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    I'd agree to the point that the aging process outcomes are different. Take the front suspension upper arms. 18 years old, one car travelled 50,000Km and one 250,000 Km. For example A, Measure the concentricity of the metal bush within the arm. It will not be central due to the weight of the car distorting the bush. The bush won't have much radial wear visible as the arms haven't cycled that much. The elastomer may look OK but will have aging wear.

Now take example B, The whole bush will look worn out. The metal will be visibly non concentric, the elastomer will likely have tears and cracks from the arm cycling during suspension movement and you'll be able to get lateral movement with little effort. Example B will be shagged if it lasted that long before replacement. Example A will look OK but the aging effects are not a visible indicator.

Throughout the commercial world of rubber / elastomer use in mechanical systems, the items are lifed and replacement is mandatory. Hoses / belts / mounts all fall into that category and turning a blind eye will not make them well again. I'm no saint in this area but I do apply some risk management to the cost of failure. Hoses and belt failure can be catastrophic and costly, happens suddenly. Suspension bush wear is mostly gradual and less likely, although not impossible for the failure to be catastrophic.
    Well articulated. I do agree with what you said. Belts are an interesting one. I remember the service manager at the Ducati dealer here in Perth telling me the reason Ducati's had a bad reputation for service cost was because people hardly rode the bikes, as a result of this, they would tend to service them on kms travelled rather than time intervals. Timing belts failing was a common theme because the belt was under constant tension around small radiuses. This would result in the belt holding these kinks that would form on a bike that was not run for long periods of time. The end results was either the belt skipping teeth or breaking completely when being used for that odd weekend of use. Both requiring costly repairs.
    Parts that are time critical are listed in service manuals. Parts that you replace as required are generally just inspect items. These cars are getting old now but I would not expect a low km well looked after example to require a suspension bushing replacement just based on age.

Sold for 32knzd

Fully complied
    Of $4800nzd

A wise man shouldn't bother but hey, what the heck. That colour indicates a UK import rather than a NZ delivered car. No miles / condition / history included so it could be anything. This is a circular argument, a buyer says the price is too high and a seller says the offer is too little.

In my case, when my time is up I could literally gift my car to a needy but genuine enthusiast or just crush it if a prospective buyer was well heeled but "thrifty". I won't be crossing the Styx with any baggage and you can't take it with you. Tough words but either pay a mutually agreed price for a specific car or move on.
    B5 RS4 : Lightly modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8