Thread: What engine oil and filter to buy?

Question What engine oil and filter to buy?

Hi.

I have a 2011 A5 Quattro. It has been serviced at Audi till now. But I'm going to buy the engine oil and filter myself and get a mechanic to change it.

The book says VW 504 00. It says if that is not available, then use API SM oils. The funny thing is that it says if the mentioned oil (VW) is not available and you want to use a SM oil, it should be used only once! Whereas, all my other cars including a Mercedes did not insist on this. Does any one know why they insist on their own oil? Is it a marketing strategy?

Also, an Audi mechanic told me that in fact, the dealership uses Castrol Edge oil! Is that true? There are lots of other oils with the same quality such as Shell or Total (which is very expensive).

To wrap up, which oil, oil filter and air filter should I buy? Or should I buy it from the dealership?

Thanks!

Audi themselves use and recommend Castrol oil but you can get it at supercheap auto as an example just make sure the VW 504 00 is stamped on it there are other brands as well like mobil. With the filter and sump bolt they aren't too expensive genuine so get them from Audi or even VW.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kats20t For This Useful Post:

RFA5 (September 24th, 2018)

Castrol Edge is in fact what the dealer uses. Look at other oil brands depending on your needs. If your engine tends to burn oil look at ester based oils.
    Stick with OEM filters (Mann& Mahle), Sparesbox tend to have some good deals and specials on Mann filters, also the eBay side of their store runs good discounts.
    APR
    WAUZZZ

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TheChenga For This Useful Post:

RFA5 (September 24th, 2018)