Thread: Side mirrors heat strip

1. Default Side mirrors heat strip

My side mirrors have a vertical line on them similar to the heating strips found on the rear windscreen. Are they meant to work that way? If so how because i mine don't do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by edy80y View Post
    My side mirrors have a vertical line on them similar to the heating strips found on the rear windscreen. Are they meant to work that way? If so how because i mine don't do anything.
    mine is controlled from the same controller used to adjust the mirrors, it does work.
    MY17 8V S3 Sedan - Daytona Grey - SPP1 - Assist Pack - Pano Roof - Black Styling - Ext Mirror Pkg - Design Light Inlays

2011 Golf R - 2008 350Z - 2004 WRX - 2000 CRX

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Robza View Post
    mine is controlled from the same controller used to adjust the mirrors, it does work.
    i don't seem to have that on mine, i can only switch left/right to move the mirror around (mine don't fold either).

after checking again, also noticed the line is on drivers side only. odd

Heated mirrors depending on your car and year were an option. Came together with folding mirrors. It's odd that you have the line there though and no folding/heated mirrors.
    2016 8V S3 Sportsback - Mythos Black - 19" S Performance Pack 2 wheels - Panoramic Roof - Black Optics

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie17 View Post
    It's odd that you have the line there though and no folding/heated mirrors.
    ok, looks like the right side of the line is angled differently to capture more of the 'blind spot' .

6. Default

Folding mirrors is an option you have to turn on somewhere in car settings. And I think heater is only on if the mirror control is in the middle. i.e. not controlling left or right.

ok, looks like the right side of the line is angled differently to capture more of the 'blind spot' .
    This is my understanding also.
    MY15 A3 8V 'Attraction' 1.4L TFSI S-Tronic Sedan, Glacier White, Technik Pack, Style Pack 18".

Quote Originally Posted by redknob View Post
    Folding mirrors is an option you have to turn on somewhere in car settings. And I think heater is only on if the mirror control is in the middle. i.e. not controlling left or right.
    Folding mirrors need to be ordered from factory or retrofitted, they can't just turned on as you need new modules, looms & motors. What you're talking about is the offside mirror dip which can be programmed using VCDS, OBD11 etc to auto dip the mirror when you reverse.
    2016 8V S3 Sportsback - Mythos Black - 19" S Performance Pack 2 wheels - Panoramic Roof - Black Optics

You are correct. The line is the edge of the blind spot view, do you get a wider field of view.
    For mirror heating the elements are attached to the rear of the mirror glass, so you will not see them. On my A4 they worked when the rear demister was turned on. On my old Mk V golf you turn them on with the mirror switch as described elsewhere in this thread.
    The mirror folding has a lot more to it as stated above.
    MY13 4L Q7 3.0 TDi Quattro
    2005 B7 A4 1.8T BFB