Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrading from HID to LED ?

Great result and much easier just to change the bulb. They must be good if they don't allow you to use them on the road!

I wonder if its something to do with the 7000K colour temperature rather than the actual brightness as specs list it as the Osram CBB which I think is normally up to 5000K.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to don For This Useful Post:

Panduka (February 22nd, 2019)

photo 1.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 1.jpgI fear this interjection may be too late.
    Take a look back through the SQ5 threads about three years ago where I posted a really good upgrade to the SQ5 lighting which comprised a couple of Rigid Industries high quality LED light bars wired in parallel to the high beam.
    They were fitted behind the radiator grille but in front of the radiator - thus relatively unseen.
    The result was a killer high beam which was between one and two lanes wide at half a kilometre. I repeated the upgrade with my RSQ3 where is used a single light bar which was more than adequate but a little more challenging due to CANBUS controlled electrics.
    Haven't bothered with the S4 as it has OEM matrix lights.
    Depending on which light bar you choose - 10" is more than enough - the whole deal will cost around $500 I think and is 100% legal (with a cockpit accessible kill switch) and incredibly effective.
    Good luck.
    Dingah

2015 SQ5 TDI Sold
    2017 RSQ3 Performance Sold
    2018 S4
    Mrs B's Tiguan R-Line + APR

Quote Originally Posted by Dingah View Post
    I fear this interjection may be too late.
    Take a look back through the SQ5 threads about three years ago where I posted a really good upgrade to the SQ5 lighting which comprised a couple of Rigid Industries high quality LED light bars wired in parallel to the high beam.
    They were fitted behind the radiator grille but in front of the radiator - thus relatively unseen.
    The result was a killer high beam which was between one and two lanes wide at half a kilometre. I repeated the upgrade with my RSQ3 where is used a single light bar which was more than adequate but a little more challenging due to CANBUS controlled electrics.
    Haven't bothered with the S4 as it has OEM matrix lights.
    Depending on which light bar you choose - 10" is more than enough - the whole deal will cost around $500 I think and is 100% legal (with a cockpit accessible kill switch) and incredibly effective.
    Good luck.
    OP was wanting to upgrade his low beam lighting but your mod is an excellent upgrade for those wanting more out of their high beam.

A lot of the older cars have xenon low beam which is ok but halogen high beam which is not so good. So your extra light bars/spot lights is a good idea for country driving, etc. Particularly if you don't want to see the spot lights out front!