Thread: Which OBD Reader / Diagnostic Tool?

1. Default Which OBD Reader / Diagnostic Tool?

Hi everyone.

I am looking for some advice on an OBD reader / diagnostic tool to use with my 2006 A4 B7 2.0LTFSI Quattro but am not sure which way to go as there seems to be thousands of options, I have done some searches as well and still not sure.

Basically I would like to be able to read & clear codes, run test procedures and check firmware/software versions. The more it can do the better I guess but obviously the cost will go up along with the feature list so I just wanted to see what others are using?

One of the reasons I am looking at one is to check the firmware for my crappy Triptronic gearbox as it has had the notorious clunk coming down from 3rd to second come and go intermittently over the last 60,000kms and after numerous trips to the Audi service centre they have never sorted it. It has had the gearbox fluid flushed and the new stuff put in along with a firmware update as they believed that would fix it but I wouldn't trust them to have done the update. The car ran ok for a few months and then the issue returned and has come and gone intermittently again since so I just lived with it. Now it is banging going from 1st into 2nd and 3rd into 2nd so not good at all, I would like to check the firmware to see if it is the latest or not and may look at getting it updated if possible but I am feeling that the gearbox is shagged.
    Daily Driver - Audi A4 2L Turbo Quattro
    Off The Road - 350HP Zero-One Concept
    Track Car - Stuart Taylor Blade
    Project - Ford GT40 Replica

Quote Originally Posted by DANMAN View Post
    Hi everyone.

I am looking for some advice on an OBD reader / diagnostic tool to use with my 2006 A4 B7 2.0LTFSI Quattro but am not sure which way to go as there seems to be thousands of options, I have done some searches as well and still not sure.

Basically I would like to be able to read & clear codes, run test procedures and check firmware/software versions. The more it can do the better I guess but obviously the cost will go up along with the feature list so I just wanted to see what others are using?

One of the reasons I am looking at one is to check the firmware for my crappy Triptronic gearbox as it has had the notorious clunk coming down from 3rd to second come and go intermittently over the last 60,000kms and after numerous trips to the Audi service centre they have never sorted it. It has had the gearbox fluid flushed and the new stuff put in along with a firmware update as they believed that would fix it but I wouldn't trust them to have done the update. The car ran ok for a few months and then the issue returned and has come and gone intermittently again since so I just lived with it. Now it is banging going from 1st into 2nd and 3rd into 2nd so not good at all, I would like to check the firmware to see if it is the latest or not and may look at getting it updated if possible but I am feeling that the gearbox is shagged.
    The most specific thing you're going to find is a VCDS (Ross-Tech), it can do a LOT and I love mine it has been a savior.

It also does generic OBD2 if you do have other cars, but it can be hit and miss on non-VAG cars.

Link for a genuine 3 license cable is below..
    I'd trust the genuine one over say a "replica" anyday too, however it is a big investment especially if you don't have a laptop.

In terms of licensing, you can scan as many cars as you like, it's just doing things like adaptations, etc that cause you to have to register it.

https://www.autoequipment.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&path=24_61&product_id=165

Current - 1999.5 B5 A4 1.8TQS

• K03-029
    • 3' Exhaust
    • KW v1's and more

Past - 1994 B4 80 V6 (2.6), 1992 B3 80 (2.0)

Agreed. Good price too. Bought mine 5 years ago direct from Ross-Tech and at that time with a much better $ it was more expensive delivered.
    B5 RS4 : Lightly modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8