Thread: Exhaust Tune and modification advice please

1. Default Exhaust Tune and modification advice please

Hello everyone,

First time poster, so please be gentle. Mature owner, Sydney base, and had a heap of modified cars throughout the years from very quick Fords, Holdens and Subarus, but the time for me came to get into a Euro, something not as quick but with class. Last car was a 450kw G6E Turbo, was a tough sleeper.

I have a few questions on various A5 specific topics, so thought this the best spot to post was in here. I know a bit about other cars but nothing about Audis, so a lot of it is new to me. I just picked up a 2014 Audi A5 2.0Tfsi (165kw EM 888 engine) Sportback S-Line. It has all the usual bits and pieces on there and has the 20" rims from factory. Only mod I have done is a Honeycomb RS5 style grille. I am after more grunt because they're slow, but nothing crazy like previous cars. Not too loud or obnoxious or a raspy cheap exhaust.

I am located in Sydney, and am getting Hills Eurohaus to do any work/servicing on the car as they appear to have a good reputation, seem like a good bunch of people, and do good work.

Tune / Intake suggestions:
    I spoke to them about getting the Stage 2 Revo of Revo Tune / Revo Intake / Revo DP but once they went down into the specifics and checked, Revo dont offer a Stage 2 for the 165kw motor, nor a DP due to it throwing codes. Now this is not my field of experience, but I find it hard to believe that one of the worlds biggest tune brands for Audis dont have a Stage 2 tune for it. Needless to say I was slightly disappointed not being able to do a DP, because they have always made a noticeable difference on other cars I've had.

So basically I will be looking to do Tune and Intake only, with the view of doing a cat-back exhaust only down the track, unless someone can suggest another option.

Exhaust Suggestions:
    I definitely dont want drone, and need it to be sedate when I want to. No open valves etc, which on the 2.0T sound nasty and cheap. The issue is the Milltek exhausts are barely noticeable in sound (on videos at least). The Supersprint sound okay, but at $3600+ just for a catback seem a bit excessive.

I looked at just removing the middle resonator to add a touch more sound, and adding quad tips on the stock exhaust to make the rear look a bit tougher. I have the single outlet each side at the moment. Any suggestion on whether doing the middle resonator delete on this motor in the sportback has been done and whether it had any drone. I have watched a heap of videos on youtube, but difficult to ascertain for this exact model/engine combo.

Body suggestion:
    If I do go quad tips or catback as above for the exhaust, I need a rear diffuser. With having the S-Line, can I use a S-Line S5 rear diffuser? or will it not fit? I cannot find anywhere in Australia that sells a good rear diffuser. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance for everyones help, I really appreciate it. Look forward to trying to catch up at a meet some time :)

Can you confirm - is your car a front wheel drive with the multitronic (CVT) gearbox?

If so, I’d recommend keeping the engine mods to an absolute minimum as that gearbox is not known for its reliability.

IMO you’d be much better placed allocating your modding budget to getting into a Quattro based A5 (the 3.0T is a cracker if you can find one) as it’s a much better starting point for modding (and obviously a better drive even in standard form).

3. Default

Hey Thanks. Yeah its the Quattro, but the DSG 7 Speed AWD. No way would I be getting FWD.

Quote Originally Posted by Akidaki View Post
    Hey Thanks. Yeah its the Quattro, but the DSG 7 Speed AWD. No way would I be getting FWD.
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on a fine car. Fully agree with Alister, the 2014 A5 in Quattro is a fine platform to build on (especially the 3.0T ......Slightly biased). I was going to suggest an exhaust upgrade (Touring Edition Exhaust) from AWE Performance but after doing a bit of research, I donít believe they have a Sportback option for the 2.0T.

But that combo of engine / transmission should be fairly easy to get modded as it is virtually the same running gear as the Golf R and S3 but slightly detuned. (Alister will correct me if Iím incorrect, Iím sure....) Turbo upgrades, air boxes and other such stuff would be fairly standard I believe.

I have the 2014 3.0T Coupe and have done a few things to it.
    Stage 1 custom tune, AWE Touring Edition exhaust (quad 105mm chrome tips), K&W Dynamic Damping coil-overs and some good rubber (Michelin Pilot Super Sport).

Iíve now spent about as much as want to spend on mods and am very happy with the results. The performance and handling would definitely give a stock RS5 a run for itís money. I know it is capable of more but figured I am not likely to be taking on the track so here is where I say stop. I have enough other toys to spend money on.

In case you didnít see the post.
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...6&share_type=t

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bigvissch For This Useful Post:

Jon Leven (November 15th, 2018)

6. Default

Thanks heaps for your reply.

Your car looks great and sits perfect.

Everything just seems to be that little bit more of an issue getting exhausts etc for the Sportback.

I love the look of your rear diffuser. Im trying to find one for mine.

I spoke to Castle Hill Exhausts in Sydney, and they said they could do a quad tip exhaust using Redback brand mufflers. I know Redback have been around for years, but never heard them on an Audi.

Can anyone confirm with mine being an S-Line, that I can get a rear diffuser for an S5 that will fit? They seem to look the same? It has the diamond grille bit at the top for now, with single exit either side, but need the diffuser to fit the rear quads.

Thanks heaps for your reply.

I love the look of your rear diffuser. Im trying to find one for mine.

I spoke to Castle Hill Exhausts in Sydney, and they said they could do a quad tip exhaust using Redback brand mufflers. I know Redback have been around for years, but never heard them on an Audi.

Can anyone confirm with mine being an S-Line, that I can get a rear diffuser for an S5 that will fit? They seem to look the same? It has the diamond grille bit at the top for now, with single exit either side, but need the diffuser to fit the rear quads.

I have a 2016 A5 Sportback (S-Line) and I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to the exhaust/rear diffuser. I contacted AWE and they said they didn't have an option for the Sportback, so for now I'm just going to add quad tips onto the stock exhaust to make the rear look more aggressive.

Don't quote me on this but from the research I did, I found that the S5 rear diffuser will fit the A5 as long as it's the S-Line version. So I decided to take the plunge and just ordered the S5 rear diffuser. I should have it in the next couple of weeks so I'll be able to confirm if it actually fits or not.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ATres For This Useful Post:

Akidaki (November 16th, 2018)

9. Default

Sounds great mate, if you could link me up with the one you got.

Ive heard that too, but people say that the S5 coupe bumper diffuser is different to the A5 sportback. I dont know, Audis are new to me.

If you could let me know how you go with it.

Thanks mate

Sounds great mate, if you could link me up with the one you got.

Ive heard that too, but people say that the S5 coupe bumper diffuser is different to the A5 sportback. I dont know, Audis are new to me.

If you could let me know how you go with it.

Thanks mate

No problem, I'll find the part numbers and get back to you.

I'm really not sure about the S5 Coupe vs. A5 Sportback bumper either. What I did to eliminate that was to find a 2016 S5 Sportback on carsales.com.au, got the registration number, then called the Audi parts department with that rego number to confirm the part number of the S5 rear diffuser. So that way I at least know the diffuser fits a Sportback.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ATres For This Useful Post:

Akidaki (November 16th, 2018)