Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Little Help Please

Thanks for your advice - never thought about the prop shaft but makes sense given I have a slight vibration around the drivers footwell.
    Will check it out.

Definitely jack all fours up and run through your gears.
    Also is it a DSG or a manual ?

If ya in the Canberra area I have a hoist at home that ya can use to check it out

Going to take the car to Derrick at European Autotech next Wednesday.
    His initial thoughts after seeing the car an a bit of a drive is that yes he can hear the drone, which he believes are the tyres and showed me why as the front Pirellis have developed a slight wave motion on the outside of the tyre. But while there, the car will be given a once over. If tyres, back to the tyre supplier to see what they can do (if anything).
    Probably get EA to upgrade the ecu.

Try rotating them if possible or swap sides first. Iíd try also a different set to try eliminate the possibility. Iím sure someone on here is willing to let you try there wheels on for a try. Iíd be very disappointed if no one will offer, itís what these forums are for to help each other.

What do you mean by “upgrade the ECU”? Apply a tune? If so, don’t expect much in the way of bang for buck.

Hi TYR382 - forgot to mention in the previous post that they will be rotating the tyres.

Quote Originally Posted by Alister View Post
    What do you mean by “upgrade the ECU”? Apply a tune? If so, don’t expect much in the way of bang for buck.
    Hi Alister - yes I'm not expecting too much from a NA, but I do remember when I applied a APR tune on the S5 it seemed to breathe better and smoother. Any little gain is always worthwhile.

In the not too distant future, I'll have a look at the exhaust etc.

Quote Originally Posted by louc View Post
    Going to take the car to Derrick at European Autotech next Wednesday.
    His initial thoughts after seeing the car an a bit of a drive is that yes he can hear the drone, which he believes are the tyres and showed me why as the front Pirellis have developed a slight wave motion on the outside of the tyre. But while there, the car will be given a once over. If tyres, back to the tyre supplier to see what they can do (if anything).
    Probably get EA to upgrade the ecu.
    A lot of tyre noise is due specifically to road surface. Drove today from Canberra to Tamworth via wellington, Coolah, werris creek etc and it's been the top 40 with a whole range of tyre rumbles due to the changing road surface. Even around home I get various "tones" depending on hotmix, tar etc surfacing methods. If this is your problem then little chance of resolving it other than choosing quiet road surfaces.
    B5 RS4 : Lightly modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    A lot of tyre noise is due specifically to road surface. Drove today from Canberra to Tamworth via wellington, Coolah, werris creek etc and it's been the top 40 with a whole range of tyre rumbles due to the changing road surface. Even around home I get various "tones" depending on hotmix, tar etc surfacing methods. If this is your problem then little chance of resolving it other than choosing quiet road surfaces.
    Understand where your coming from but when you can’t hear the guy next to you at 100kph it’s a bit more than tyre noise

More importantly can you feel it throughout the car? If so thatís not tyre drone.