Thread: Does the Flywheel need some when I change Clutch?

1. Default Does the Flywheel need some when I change Clutch?

Hey there

Firstly, thanks so much for taking the time and sharing your expertise and advice, itís hugely appreciated.

I have a 2007 A4 B7 2.0 TFSI Quattro 6sp Man and the clutch is Goooooooone! Have been looking online for a reasonably priced Clutch kit and to my horror after calling a few guys locally they have told me that I need to do the Dual Mass flywheel at the same time. Is this true? Can I just replace the clutch and not the Flywheel or do they both need to be done at the same time and secondly would you guys recommend converting to a single mass flywheel from the Dual?

thanks for your help team!

2. Default

You need to check your flywheel for radial/axial play. If it is within set tolerance you can re-use it.

3. Default

How did i do that mate?

Yes, Audi recommends you also replace the flywheel, I think it's a $3,000 job. An independent garage would be cheaper. Or if you don't mind a harsher feel you could fit an aftermarket sports clutch and single mass flywheel.
    1997 A3 1.8T sold
    2000 TT quattro still going strong.
    2005 Lava Grey A3 2.0 TFSI DSG Sportback, Open Sky, roof racks, Vienna Leather. Sold
    2006 Black A4 2.0 TFSI S-line Quattro Avant Sold
    2009 White A4 2.0 TFSI Quattro Avant, Open Sky roof, MMi+ 19" rims, Bang and Olufsen, adaptive cruse, Oak Beaufort trim. Sold
    2016 A4 Quattro sport Avant, Manhattan Gray, Panno roof, Technik package, Assistance package. Sold

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by nzhorsey View Post
    How did i do that mate?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-qghjeDS_Q

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jsol For This Useful Post:

ian (November 20th, 2018)

Quote Originally Posted by jsol View Post
    You need to check your flywheel for radial/axial play. If it is within set tolerance you can re-use it.
    Also, the friction face needs to be checked, usually machined which can be a tricky job with a dual mass flywheel. A solid flywheel in a street car is a backward step and probably won't be at all attractive if you try and move the car on later. While there are cheap ways out of most problems, the outcome usually reflects the saving over doing it to spec.
    B5 RS4 : Lightly modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

8. Default

Yes, resurfacing a DMF is a bit tricky. If there is no bluing of the metal and the surface looks sound and flat (small straight edge) if it's not a big HP build I generally don't bother.