Thread: Engine Fault

Default Engine Fault

My wife took the A4 1.8T 2000 for a drive last week to Wollongong to do some shopping. As she was leaving she called and said the car was shaking/shuddering during idle and then the car had no power above 60klms/hr.
    I eventually towed car home. Finally got time today to do a scan:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Senad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WollongongA4B5 View Post
    My wife took the A4 1.8T 2000 for a drive last week to Wollongong to do some shopping. As she was leaving she called and said the car was shaking/shuddering during idle and then the car had no power above 60klms/hr.
    I eventually towed car home. Finally got time today to do a scan:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Senad

Looks like 02 sensor is faulty (for air fuel ratio)

Past - MY16 S3 Sedan S Tronic
    His - MY18 RS3 Sedan | Daytona Grey | RS Design | RS Perf 1 | Matrix | Blk Gloss | Phone Bx |Sunroof and much more...
    Hers - MY17 Tiguan 162 R line | Tungsten Silver | Assistance | Sunroof | and more...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jaydece For This Useful Post:

WollongongA4B5 (December 6th, 2018)

4. Default

I don't think O2 sensor. That's normally code 00525. More likely a vacuum leak messing with the MAF or failing MAF. Could also be fuel related dying fuel pump, blocked filter, something resulting in low fuel pressure. Need to check fuel pressure.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jsol For This Useful Post:

WollongongA4B5 (December 6th, 2018)

Quote Originally Posted by jsol View Post
    I don't think O2 sensor. That's normally code 00525. More likely a vacuum leak messing with the MAF or failing MAF. Could also be fuel related dying fuel pump, blocked filter, something resulting in low fuel pressure. Need to check fuel pressure.
    I did a service recently but didnít get to replacing fuel filter, Iíll replace fuel filter tomorrow and then see about checking fuel pressure.

thats lean missfire.
    not enough fuel (o2 is working or it wouldnt know this).
    big vac leak on manifold will do this, - but will also cause rich at accel- heavy load cruise and not complete lack of power (so this rules out vac leak)
    maf reading poor- unplug and runs better will also point to maf (not always the case- as a bad air leak will run better with maf unplugged) but its not a (vac) leak as found out before

so maf or poor fuel pressure it is- just like jsol says
    '99 Quattro, stroked 2L
    Concept, tune and build by QMS
    EFR 6758, Bosch 1000cc, E85 @7bar, Bosch 413 in 034 surge tank. VVT cam timing upgrade. Controls by Eurodyne boost manager, V8 MAF, LC1, EGT. JE 9:1, 13kg 2L Crank, 475gm rods, Ferrea , Dowel pin crank, IE tensioner, 034 Pheno Spacer, FX400 240mm x6, Apikol SMIC, Miltek 2.75 Koni coils, Stoptech BB, Powerslot Rear, SS lines, 034 G/b, Apikol Diff mounts, APR snub mount.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rockersteady For This Useful Post:

WollongongA4B5 (December 7th, 2018)

Quote Originally Posted by rockersteady View Post
    thats lean missfire.
    not enough fuel (o2 is working or it wouldnt know this).
    big vac leak on manifold will do this, - but will also cause rich at accel- heavy load cruise and not complete lack of power (so this rules out vac leak)
    maf reading poor- unplug and runs better will also point to maf (not always the case- as a bad air leak will run better with maf unplugged) but its not a (vac) leak as found out before

so maf or poor fuel pressure it is- just like jsol says
    Hi Ed,
    I replaced the maf with the one out of my 97 A4 today (cleaned it with maf cleaner first) and started her up and ran with no problems.
    Iíll take it for a drive tomorrow and see how it goes, as you and jsol have said it looks more likely a failed maf sensor.

Thanks for the advice.

10. Default

Ed, you're a troubleshooting demon. I had it narrowed down but didn't consider the running rich on load to eliminate vac leak.

11. Default

OP, glad you got it sorted.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jsol For This Useful Post:

WollongongA4B5 (December 8th, 2018)