Thread: Audi deliveries affected by WLTP? (S3 on order)

1. Default Audi deliveries affected by WLTP? (S3 on order)

Hey all,

Not sure if my post is in the right place, long time lurker on here, haven't been active though.

Back in June, I placed an order for an S3. Factory order, as the option and colour combo wasn't in stock. I was coming from a Golf R (7), which I sold privately in September, expecting an October delivery.

About a month out from delivery, my sales guy gives me a ring, and advises of a delay. unclear at this point as to precisely why, but I was advised that the subsequent vehicle would be a MY19 (originally intended as a MY18). At this stage, the likely delivery date was vague - Nov, maybe early Dec was what was said.

I was very busy in October and into November for work, and was travelling for a month straight, the delay hadnt really bothered me, as I did have a vehicle I could borrow and use when I was in town. Beside the point.

During this period, I noticed chatter, primarily out of Europe about the issues relating to WLTP compliance https://www.caradvice.com.au/656615/...he-fuss-about/ - lots of stories similar to this, google it.

Primarily, it appeared the VW group, including Porsche, Audi and Skoda, had a tough time getting vehicles compliant and built during this period. Many models were dropped due to non-compliance, and others required modifications to continue to be sold, plus extensive delays due to the compliance process.

In Europe, it appears the S3 has been detuned from 310 to 300 HP. On the documentation on Audi Australia's website, there seems to be no change to the AU spec car in this manner, however, from what I have read about WLTP, it appears that one of the reasons for the delay is that the German marques dont want multiple SKUs for the same vehicle across different markets as each variation (gearbox, engine, wheel, aircon) requires new certification under WLTP.

I haven't yet asked my dealer formally about this issue, and last I heard, my car docked on the 2nd of Dec. (yet to receive a delivery date though).

Does anyone have further information:
    1. Is Australia just a bit behind in the flow of information, and our cars are likely also to have an engine detune (further than the "hot weather" detune we already have" due to WLTP?

2. ADR used to take NEDC as gospel for fuel and emmissions certification, now, I assume my car, and others in the same "boat" would be certified based on WLTP - Which models / engines HAVE WLTP compliance, which havent? - If the S3 hasnt, it can likely account for some / most of this delay

3. any other known delays in Australian compliance for cars at the moment?

4. Any other prospective S3 owners out there also awaiting their cars?

ps. Though I have had significant delay, I havent been put out enormousely YET (I do need a vehicle over the holidays, which I will speak to the dealer about if I dont have a delivery in the next week or 2), it has been frustrating, and the lack of information challenging. I will be making this known to the dealer if there is any other issues in the next couple of weeks. They have been courteous, but Im not certain how much info they even have themselves.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Seph For This Useful Post:

ST3V (December 11th, 2018)

If your car has docked, it'll just be a couple of weeks away from delivery.

Didn't hear anything about S3s being affected with WLTP, saw on various groups that owners have received their cars, but not sure if it was floor stock or from factory.

If you really need a car during the period, speak to the dealer to organise a loaner or something.

Hope you do get your car before the festive period.
    MY18 RS3 Sportback | PP2 | Matrix | RSDP | Gloss Black package | Ara Blue | Opti Coat Pro+ | Tinting

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by beanoyip View Post
    If your car has docked, it'll just be a couple of weeks away from delivery.

Didn't hear anything about S3s being affected with WLTP, saw on various groups that owners have received their cars, but not sure if it was floor stock or from factory.

If you really need a car during the period, speak to the dealer to organise a loaner or something.

Hope you do get your car before the festive period.

Thanks for the kind words.

My car has indeed docked (Dec 2) - and I'll give the dealer a ring later today to see if they have an updated delivery date for me.

There are some articles floating around about certain cars sitting at dock waiting for compliance.

https://premium.goauto.com.au/luxury...in-quarantine/

Hence, I'm just slightly concerned that my car may be directly or indirectly (backlog) delayed further.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Seph For This Useful Post:

IchBautAuto (December 10th, 2018)

Thanks for that post and link. I don't particularly follow new car news so I was very interested to see the comments below. Clearly this is an issue that could eventually make us like California with very stringent vehicle laws in the future. There is bound to be a time when the classic vehicles start to fall under the thumb too.

Across Europe, Audi sales fell 55.5 per cent in September as cars were unable to be registered because of a lack of a WLTP compliance,...............................

Volkswagen Group made up 49 per cent of the UK’s total decline in registrations of 20.5 per cent in September. In the same month, Audi’s registrations fell by 53.42 per cent in the UK and 69.4 per cent in Germany.

“We have the A45 model that has a sub-7.0 litres per 100 kilometres fuel average but when we put on one-inch bigger wheels, it goes over 7.0L/100km,” Also an interesting outcome. Even tyre pressure impacts fuel consumption so without auto monitoring and pressure adjustment, any car could fail this test against it's compliance figures.
    B5 RS4 : Lightly modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post

“We have the A45 model that has a sub-7.0 litres per 100 kilometres fuel average but when we put on one-inch bigger wheels, it goes over 7.0L/100km,” Also an interesting outcome. Even tyre pressure impacts fuel consumption so without auto monitoring and pressure adjustment, any car could fail this test against it's compliance figures.

Yeah, it appears the WLTP program is more stringent in terms of testing / validating fuel consumption and emissions claims for different specs, even read somewhere that if the car is equipped with a different air con unit, then that would attract a separate test too.

Thus, it would be in the manufacturer's best interest to produce as little SKUs as possible. So yeah, interesting times.

8. Default

My dealership put in my build order (today) for an April delivery. They seem pretty confident on meeting that date, so hopefully the manufacturers have sorted it out now.

I'll keep this updated.