Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joining the S4 fraternity

Default Joining the S4 fraternity

Started with a SQ5 - brilliant car - the diesel.
    Traded in on a nuclear powered shopping trolley - RSQ3 Performance with Stage 1.
    Trading in (25th January) on a new S4.
    Now retired so needed a more age appropriate vehicle and am certainly impressed with the specs of this one.
    Brilliant deal from my good friends at Audi Canberra Center which saw me owning a new loaded S4 for the same as other dealerships would offer a demo.
    Better still is the Audi Open House which provided access to 5 year warranty and free servicing for the first three years.

Question concerning brakes for the web-wise:
    I currently have a complete set of OEM front and rear brake rotors and pads for the RSQ3 - will these fit the S4 or do I offload them to forum buddies?

IMG_1975.jpgIMG_1961.jpgIMG_1965.jpg
    Dingah

2015 SQ5 TDI Sold
    2017 RSQ3 Performance Sold
    2018 S4
    Mrs B's Tiguan R-Line + APR

Hey Dingah,

You and I seem to follow a similar path. I have gone from the SQ5 which I loved to a new s4 Avant.

Loving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice one mate - a great choice.
    I must admit I would have likely gone either way at purchase time - Sedan or Avant.
    Week two of ownership and despite being a tech type I am in awe of what this machine offers.
    The performance is already awesome, the comfort, agility, the endless list of safety based systems and features.
    Having gone trough an extended hatch period - GTi, Tiguan, SQ5, RSQ3......... I now wonder what on Earth was I thinking.
    The S4 is what European sporting sedans are about; why did I wait this long.
    I did change out the Hankooks for a new set of Michelin PS4S on day two though.
    Dingah

2015 SQ5 TDI Sold
    2018 S4

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dingah For This Useful Post:

Jon Leven (February 14th, 2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Dingah View Post
    Nice one mate - a great choice.
    I must admit I would have likely gone either way at purchase time - Sedan or Avant.
    Week two of ownership and despite being a tech type I am in awe of what this machine offers.
    The performance is already awesome, the comfort, agility, the endless list of safety based systems and features.
    Having gone trough an extended hatch period - GTi, Tiguan, SQ5, RSQ3......... I now wonder what on Earth was I thinking.
    The S4 is what European sporting sedans are about; why did I wait this long.
    I did change out the Hankooks for a new set of Michelin PS4S on day two though.
    Mine came on Contisport6p and they are good for grip but very loud. How are the ps4s?

At this stage I am planning 1inch drop, spacers or 20” rims, want a tune but nobody can crack ecu atm but I am told apt is close. The dtuk plugins and tcu tunes are yielding 3.7s and 11.7 sec quarters so that should be enough.

Mine is a white with black pack and sports spider rims. Did you go for the burnt orange again?

Love the quilted leather interior and carbon/alloy finishes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michelin PS4S are fine - good grip and average to below average noise.
    The Pirelli PZero with NCS are certainly quieter though but couldn't get them in the right size/ratings, so went PS4S.
    Mine came with every possible option bar the sports seats and sport differential, neither of which were on the wish list.
    Full black on dark Navara blue looks fine to me.
    DTUK option recommended from past experience.
    Dingah

2015 SQ5 TDI Sold
    2018 S4

Good to see lots of S4's on theIMG_2214.jpg forum. Congrats.
    1997 A3 1.8T sold
    2000 TT quattro sold
    2005 Lava Grey A3 2.0 TFSI DSG Sportback, Open Sky, roof racks, Vienna Leather. Sold
    2006 Black A4 2.0 TFSI S-line Quattro Avant Sold
    2009 White A4 2.0 TFSI Quattro Avant, Open Sky roof, MMi+ 19" rims, Bang and Olufsen, adaptive cruse, Oak Beaufort trim. Sold
    2016 A4 Quattro sport Avant, Manhattan Gray, Panno roof, Technik package, Assistance package. Sold
    2018 S4 Avant, Sports diff, S performance package, Technik package, honeycomb grille, Nardo Grey Wrap.

Anyone achieved VCDS mods with the B9 - my beep tone on lock appears to have gone walkabout?
    Dingah

2015 SQ5 TDI Sold
    2018 S4

Hey Dingah

Congratulation on the purchase. I was so close on buying the S4/S5 last year but went with the SQ5. Originally looking at C43 FL but thought the merc was looking a bit dated compare to the Audi new B9. At the end, Audi Springwood also gave me an fantastic price so I was happy to stay with the Audi family once again. Interior wise, the Audi is just better in mine mind plus there is c class everywhere and I know so many friends with one so I wanted something different.

Have u put in the Dtuk/TCU tune in? I'm tempted to put one in but not sure if I should wait for APR or someone come up with an ECU tune. I have mix feeling with Dtuk tune in my past 2 vehicle which resulted in me spending money on a proper tune at the end. Must resist.... the temptation.....
    https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread....379005/page-5
    Audi SQ5 FY 2018 Pantha Black, Technik Pack, Sunroof, Carbon Trim, Phone box light, PermaGuard
    BMW 440i Grand Coupe F36 2016 Mineral Grey, M Sports Pack, Sunroof, Individual Leather
    Audi Q7 4.2tdi 2012 Pure White, S Line, Sunroof, 21"
    BMW 330d E90 2009 Space Grey, M Sport Pack, Sunroof, Individual Audio, 18" SOLD
    BMW E60 530d 2006 Carbon Black, M Sports, Sunroof
    BMW X5 E53 2014Black Sapphire, M Sports, Sunroof SOLD

PM in your in-box so as not to bore the others with one-on-one dialogue.
    Dingah

2015 SQ5 TDI Sold
    2018 S4

New Audi Sr4 – One month and 1000km

Background:

My formative years both driving and in aviation were spent in the UK, not committing to emigrate until 1979, I have always enjoyed performance motoring a – first car was a beautiful MGB MkII – performance then = 70kW = a possible 100mph on a good day and a long flat road!
    I continue to enthuse about matters motoring though I despair at the continued erosion of driving behaviours and standards. The latest epidemic of mobile phone users evidenced by wandering all over lanes combined with the apparent need to swing out across the centre of the road prior to turning left just astounds me. Be compliant and caring about your road sharing or stay at home!

Through the years in Canberra we have been through the usual phases of no kids = 2 seat/2 door motoring and then family = sensible family haulers comprising Commodores various, a mental XR6 Turbo (significantly modified by Nizpro in Melbourne) to the more recent times with the family shrinking back to just the two of us which gave rise to the last fifteen years of VAGdom .

There’s no clear reason why I was never a great fan of the Benz family: earlier marques tended towards a tank-like design and the recent Benz renaissance has taken them down a completely different and more (too?) youthful path (red seat belts ….really?). BMW have never similarly been ‘rated’ beyond their performance benchmark machines of M5 and M3; I have always viewed BMW lovers as either active or latent hairdressers. So the ‘let’s go German’ automotive desires led us down the VAG path – first VW and then Audi…… a sensible Golf 2.0 TDI (Oettinger tuned), a Golf GTi, an APR stage 3 modified GTi, an APR Stage 1 2.0 TFSI R Line Tiguan (my wife’s beloved family truck) and a brief foray with a Wolfsburg edition R Wagon (ugh!) thence to Audi. Starting in 2013 I owned a SQ5 Tdi (DTUK box modified) followed by an RSQ3 Performance (APR Stage 1) and most recently a lovely Audi S4 with all the ‘stuff’.

So to the S4:

With retirement in-hand it was perhaps time to look for something more age-appropriate than the RSQ3 Performance. Having been in hot hatches and more recently small to medium German SUVs I had forgotten how wonderfully competent European sports sedans can be…the S4 has not disappointed. So after some exploratory trips to the Canberra dealership, a trade-in was discussed and provided by the professional folk at the Canberra Audi Centre – the deal offered was sensational and left little reason to ponder any longer.

It is a Navara Blue S4 with all the fruit; the only exceptions being the sports diff (no real need) and sports seats (bloody uncomfortable and no adjustable headrest). The black external highlights, good dark tint, internal carbon inlays and delightful 19” Audi Sport wheels completed the ‘look’ I was after. I have now completed one month of ownership comprising one thousand kilometres, so still not run-in. However, it’s enough time to share an appraisal.

It’s a deceptively long car – longer than the SQ5 and is much, much lower than our past diet of hatches and SUVs. Together with some weight loss and vastly improved weight distribution and almost state of the art suspension components and design has made for, IMHO, terrific handling. It really does sit on the road in an immensely stable manner. Does it aesthetically appear like a slippery rocket – not really. Is it a slippery rocket? – absolutely.

I did make a couple of immediate changes – the Hankooks came off and were replaced by Micheline PS4S – I still wonder if I was being a bit precious over those tyres as the Hankooks rarely have a poor review. I also had the paintwork ceramic coated with the Williams preparation - I am a bit disappointed this time round having had a darn good experience with the RSQ3. Don’t know why but this one seems very easy to leave swirl scratches on and I’m not sure if it is due to the supplier, the materials used this time……… anyway I will leave it as is as the supplier has been completely unhelpful thus far and maybe I’ll get a (more expensive) Opticoat treatment in 5 years time - if it needs it. The final mod is hanging which is the DTUK attitude enhancement device – I have always had good, safe results with these and it is still on the list of things to be considered.

Even as an experienced pilot I have found the virtual cockpit and amazing array of more than 30 safety systems quite time consuming to learn and understand. However, it is a great set up and combined with other good tech e.g. the matrix lighting system, head up display (note to self – need to get some non-polarised sunnies), active lane & traffic assist, Apple CarPlay, the MMI with dedicated data SIM, B&O sound, internal lighting smarts = a very smart, comfortable and capable car. It is good to see these technical developments, albeit aimed at achieving driverless cars decades in the future, being made available to drivers now. It is important, however, to ensure you have the best possible understanding of how and why they operate before employing them in anger; you can have some age advancing moments if heading out unprepared!

The engine is a gem, once off idle, where its broad v design can be a bit lumpy at below 700RPM, it is a veritable unstressed turbine – revving quite freely as a new engine, one feels there is considerable potential for further development. There is certainly lots of heat under that bonnet in an Australian summer, so I am conscious of taking opportunities to let the natural breeze drift through the components after a punt. I thought that I may miss the tough 7 speed DSG from the RSQ3 – truth is I do not miss it for a moment and enjoy the peace of mind that the torque will always be competently handled by the ZF 8 speed. There are plenty of opinions around regarding the ZF box in this Audi – many less than exemplary. To me it is a smart, competent box and once aware of its foibles it is a gem to drive with – e.g. instead of changing down before entering a roundabout (as one would with a manual box), simply knock it into Sport and it will easily cater for all upcoming eventualities = learn, think, adapt and anticipate…… don’t blame the design after all, you chose it!

So there you have it – it’s a delightful limousine one minute and slippery sports car the next and feels at least as quick as the RSQ3 Performance so I believe the published figures are quite conservative – or as I prefer to say – most adequate! Happy motoring forum folk.
    IMG_2284.jpg
    Dingah

2015 SQ5 TDI Sold
    2018 S4

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dingah For This Useful Post:

bigvissch (March 24th, 2019), demon8991 (March 7th, 2019)