Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RS3 FL annoying periodic click

Post RS3 FL annoying periodic click

Hi all,

I'm new to here, been a long time lurker , thought it's the right time to come out of the darkness.

I'm totally new to the Audi Badge, previously a mazda owner... took the deep dive and made the purchase on the 2018 Audi RS3 Sedan mid last year. It's been a sweet 6-7 months of ownership, car's been getting louder the more KMs.

Currently around the 6.5k KMs mark and started noticing a strange periodic clicking noise coming from the engine bay/front, it only happens during startup or gentle driving after startup. However it seems to disappear completely after a few minutes of driving. This is all the while in Comfort mode so it's definitely not the exhaust flaps opening and closing. Also, it seems to prop up randomly so not every startup has this noise.

I took it to the dealer for a oil topup last week (found it drinks like crazy) and mentioned this to them, they seemed to be stumped as the noise is from the front rather than the back; usually people have reported noises due to the exhaust. I've booked it in for a proper checkup by the technicians later this month so will have to wait and see I guess. Hopefully I can still drive it spiritedly till then

In the meantime, thought I might pick some heads here and was wondering if anyone has had this issue? I've read all the threads about the exhaust cold start rattle and it does not seem to be that.

I've managed to capture it the other day, see the vid on https://youtu.be/Y3_f3MH7QcA

Cheers,
    Ken

Is your aircon on? sounds like something engaging and disengaging "clutch like or solenoid sound"....

I have to say I have not heard that on my car....
    Past - MY16 S3 Sedan S Tronic
    His - MY18 RS3 Sedan | Daytona Grey | RS Design | RS Perf 1 | Matrix | Blk Gloss | Phone Bx |Sunroof and much more...
    Hers - MY17 Tiguan 162 R line | Tungsten Silver | Assistance | Sunroof | and more...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jaydece For This Useful Post:

Kenjieh (January 12th, 2019)

Quote Originally Posted by jaydece View Post
    Is your aircon on? sounds like something engaging and disengaging "clutch like or solenoid sound"....

I have to say I have not heard that on my car....
    Hey Jaydece,

I rarely use the a/c haha, yea its very strange. I did notice it more after not driving it for a period of time as I was away overseas for about 2.5weeks. I normally turn on the radio/music when starting the car so maybe thats hidden the noise thats always been there...

Could it be the engine oil has formed a clog somewhere and its trying to circulate through? Its really doing my head in, guess will have to wait and see what the technicians say.

Cheers,
    Ken

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kenjieh For This Useful Post:

jaydece (January 12th, 2019)

Default RS3 FL annoying periodic click

Quote Originally Posted by Kenjieh View Post
    Hey Jaydece,

I rarely use the a/c haha, yea its very strange. I did notice it more after not driving it for a period of time as I was away overseas for about 2.5weeks. I normally turn on the radio/music when starting the car so maybe thats hidden the noise thats always been there...

Could it be the engine oil has formed a clog somewhere and its trying to circulate through? Its really doing my head in, guess will have to wait and see what the technicians say.

Cheers,
    Ken
    Okay cool, good luck with technician and hopefully they can diagnose what it is? you got me paranoid so i started listening as well, with my the car off just after a drive? it kind of makes the same sounds just not as frequent ....but the clicking is very familiar at the front of the engine ...

donít think itís a clog, but sounds like something is mechanically actuating or moving ....

do you have an OBD tool? be good to see if itís picked up anything ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Past - MY16 S3 Sedan S Tronic
    His - MY18 RS3 Sedan | Daytona Grey | RS Design | RS Perf 1 | Matrix | Blk Gloss | Phone Bx |Sunroof and much more...
    Hers - MY17 Tiguan 162 R line | Tungsten Silver | Assistance | Sunroof | and more...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jaydece For This Useful Post:

Kenjieh (January 12th, 2019)

Quote Originally Posted by jaydece View Post
    Okay cool, good luck with technician and hopefully they can diagnose what it is? you got me paranoid so i started listening as well, with my the car off just after a drive? it kind of makes the same sounds just not as frequent ....but the clicking is very familiar at the front of the engine ...

donít think itís a clog, but sounds like something is mechanically actuating or moving ....

do you have an OBD tool? be good to see if itís picked up anything ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh really? I'll have a listen after a drive too, from experience I've only heard the cooling fans doing its job after shutdown but I'm going to have a closer listen now haha...

Ah nope I don't have an OBD tool... I remember seeing some youtube videos floating around... OBDEleven? Not sure where to get my hands on this or something similar.

Cheers,
    Ken

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kenjieh For This Useful Post:

jaydece (January 12th, 2019)

I have a 2015 RS3 and neve heard it before. I’ll listen out see if I can hear it.
    S3 2000 147GTA 2003 R32 2006 S3 2009 SQ5 2013 RS3 2015

That click seems really unusual, and definitely not normal..

Really keen to know what the techs find as well, hopefully it'll be resolved for you soon..
    MY18 RS3 Sportback | PP2 | Matrix | RSDP | Gloss Black package | Ara Blue | Opti Coat Pro+ | Tinting

Thanks for responses guys, I have it booked in for next Tuesday. Fingers crossed its nothing serious

Also after a drive with the car off, I do hear some faint clicking but I think its more metal cooling rather than mechanical heh!

Cheers,
    Ken

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kenjieh For This Useful Post:

jaydece (January 15th, 2019)

Hey guys,

Some good news... looks to be nothing wrong (well mechanically) with the car. However, another FL RS3 was in the garage and it did the same thing. Apparently it's becoming a common thing for FL RS3s

Attached a description of the feedback from the techs for anyone interested.
    Job desc 22 jan 2019 rs3.jpg

Looks like I may need to live with this annoying sound on startup (first world problems hah!).

Cheers,
    Ken

That's not really a fix?? if nothing wrong, why do some cars have it and some don't??
    MY18 RS3 Sportback | PP2 | Matrix | RSDP | Gloss Black package | Ara Blue | Opti Coat Pro+ | Tinting