Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $1500 for a $300 part - 8V S3 out of warranty service shock - thermostat

Default $1500 for a $300 part - 8V S3 out of warranty service shock - thermostat

So I've had the coolant level light pop on a few times - even got it checked out while the car was still under warranty. Now that it's out of warranty the dealer has managed to find a leak and quote me $1500 to replace the thermostat. $780 part, $520 labour and a few other bits and pieces bring it to $1500.
    Ouchy. Especially we you can google the part number and see prices like this: https://www.vagparts.com.au/products/06l121111j (yeah, ok, the thread title was a bit misleading, but still $778.46 vs $305...)

Wonder what I'll get for a trade on a Toyota Camary - surely they have cheaper parts?

2. Default

Hmm. My 5 years old A4 had a similar issue two weeks ago. They replaced the parts “under warranty” but I had to pay for labour. Total about $1000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's just out of warranty ask Audi they will probably pay for it especially if was noted on your last service record.
    1997 A3 1.8T sold
    2000 TT quattro sold
    2005 Lava Grey A3 2.0 TFSI DSG Sportback, Open Sky, roof racks, Vienna Leather. Sold
    2006 Black A4 2.0 TFSI S-line Quattro Avant Sold
    2009 White A4 2.0 TFSI Quattro Avant, Open Sky roof, MMi+ 19" rims, Bang and Olufsen, adaptive cruse, Oak Beaufort trim. Sold
    2016 A4 Quattro sport Avant, Manhattan Gray, Panno roof, Technik package, Assistance package. Sold
    2018 S4 Avant, Sports diff, S performance package, Technik package, honeycomb grille.

Quote Originally Posted by Phydaux View Post
    If it's just out of warranty ask Audi they will probably pay for it especially if was noted on your last service record.
    Who is "Audi"? My local dealer or do I try and reach out to a central office somewhere? I assume the dealer has to claim the warranty costs from Audi HQ?

try audi head office and your local dealer that it was serviced with. As said above, if you've already had it noted that there was a leak, it sounds a bit suspect.

That’s what disappoints me most about the car companies. They think we are stupidgod to my mate ray it will be 1/4 of the price! Joke.
    S3 2000 147GTA 2003 R32 2006 S3 2009 SQ5 2013 RS3 2015

Hi from the looks of that part it seems to be the same issue with my 8v. I took it in for a service and he mentioned that there's a bit of a coolant leak starting to develop and I'd need that pump changed out.

This was an independent guy...quoted me around 1200 to swap out, including labour.

He just said to watch out for a dip in the coolant levels and if it gets bad just to bring it in soonish after a bit of a top-up. Hats off to the guy for not making me swap it out straight away.

Tammma

Quote Originally Posted by jasestu View Post
    So I've had the coolant level light pop on a few times - even got it checked out while the car was still under warranty. Now that it's out of warranty the dealer has managed to find a leak and quote me $1500 to replace the thermostat. $780 part, $520 labour and a few other bits and pieces bring it to $1500.
    Ouchy. Especially we you can google the part number and see prices like this: https://www.vagparts.com.au/products/06l121111j (yeah, ok, the thread title was a bit misleading, but still $778.46 vs $305...)

Wonder what I'll get for a trade on a Toyota Camary - surely they have cheaper parts?

Tell them its covered under consumer law and see what they say. Given you have noted it on previous services there is no reason why they shouldn't fix it under warranty.

I had my Ranger serviced on Friday and its 2 months out of warranty. I took it in with oil all over the front diff and told them I expect it fixed under warranty. I had already made contact with Ford Australia and they didn't say it should be fixed, but said if I had issues to call them back and they would sort it out. I didn't have to thankfully as I told them I was expecting it done for nothing as something like this isn't really a part that should need repairing at 60,000klm service. Apparently Fod over filled diffs from the factory and due to the heat it finally leaked out the breather. No signs of the leak returning so all good so far

Just for what it's worth, I sent an independent in Melbourne an email query asking for a quote to swap out an A3 8v water pump and he quoted me 1600 odd for the full thermostat water pump, locking bolt and drive belt plus labour and coolant...

Significantly more but also more parts replaced too.

Tammma

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tammma For This Useful Post:

jasestu (January 30th, 2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Phydaux View Post

hahahahahahahaha..........

Youre hilarious.

Audi Australia dont give a **** about customers or Consumer Law unless you get the Law involved. Threaten to sue, take them to your local court or Tribunal and watch them come to the party!
    2018 S3 S-tronic Sedan, Daytona Grey, SPP1, Assistance, Matrix, Folding Mirrors, Rear folding seats, Panoramic roof and design light inlays. Expected 25 July!