Thread: Anyone had vibration problems with wheel spacers?

Default Anyone had vibration problems with wheel spacers?

Put 25mm Eibach wheel spacers on the rear of my A5 coupe no problems. Put 20mm on the front and getting a lot of steering wheel vibration/wobble at highway speeds. Went to check the install but I couldn't bloody get them off again! But they look like they're on there nice and even and I even had the car balanced by Audi whilst getting some other work done but the problem persists. Dropped it to a local tyre place to double check as I'm over it and they think install is ok and balance is correct too so just going to get them to take it off for now.

Any ideas?

I had front and rear spacers on my Q5 and never had any vibrations. Better get rid of them, man!

Are they the same centre bore as your wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by meiztom View Post
    Put 25mm Eibach wheel spacers on the rear of my A5 coupe no problems. Put 20mm on the front and getting a lot of steering wheel vibration/wobble at highway speeds. Went to check the install but I couldn't bloody get them off again! But they look like they're on there nice and even and I even had the car balanced by Audi whilst getting some other work done but the problem persists. Dropped it to a local tyre place to double check as I'm over it and they think install is ok and balance is correct too so just going to get them to take it off for now.

Any ideas?
    I thought spacers were illegal in Aus. Does your insurance company know they're fitted to your car?
    Pickles.

You need to get your wheels balanced with the spacers on.
    Fixed my problem

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sounds to me like the centre bore of the spacer is incorrect and its not letting them seat against the disc face properly. The shouldn't be locking onto the hub. It only takes the tiniest of gaps to cause a major issue. Get someone to measure the centre bore to make sure they are correct. Are you sure there isn't a front and rear? As for legalities..... as Pickles eluded to, they are in illegal in a lot of states.

Quote Originally Posted by meiztom View Post

Any ideas?
    Not sure if you've sorted this issue out but here's what I found when I installed mine;
    1. make sure the spacers are hubcentric type or you will get vibration due to movement on the hub
    2. make sure the bolts used (assuming you have longer ones now) have the correct seat type to match your wheels, ie. cone or ball with correct radius
    3. if spacers are 15mm or less then you will find that the hub groove isn't deep enough to allow the spacer to sit flush against the rotor's face - I had to grind the metal lip around the centre axle bolt to solve this issue.

hope this helps someone!