Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: B7 RS4 - Intermittent Starter Issue

  1. #1

    Default B7 RS4 - Intermittent Starter Issue

    Morning all

    So my RS4 is currently having an intermittent issue when firing up. If I haven't driven for a couple of days I press the start button and nothing. Sometimes it might be 10 seconds then it will fire up, sometimes 30 seconds, however today, it took me minutes for it to fire up. I did notice a few clicking noises were being made.

    Once it's started it's fine. I drove into work today and when I leave at 5pm it will fire up straight away.

    Had my mechanic look at it a few months ago but nothing showed up on the scan.

    Any thoughts?
    Current: 2006 B7 RS4 Avant in Imola

    Previous: 2004 A4 1.8 Turbo Quattro

    APR Stage 1 | Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers | Remus Exhausts | 18" RS6 Reps | Brushed Alum Mirrors | Phatbox | RS4 Pedals | RS4 Gear Knob

  2. #2

    Default

    If there are clicking noises coming from the area of the starter motor when you hold down the starter the solenoid is faulty. New starter motor needed. It will gradually get worse until it won't start at all. A scan won't pick this up.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 1980
    Location
    Back in Sydney (again!)
    Posts
    4,810
    Thanked: 489

    Default

    do you have a key slot (like my 2008 S5) as well?
    If so, will it start with pushing in the key when the button won't work?

    As jsol says above, it the key has the same issue, most likely the starter motor.. (the old hammer was a trick to get it started!)

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jnrdavo View Post
    ................................... (the old hammer was a trick to get it started!)
    Yea, but way back when you could actually see the starter motor.
    B5 RS4 : Lightly modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sheffield,Tasmania
    Posts
    224
    Thanked: 10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oxblood8 View Post
    Morning all

    So my RS4 is currently having an intermittent issue when firing up. If I haven't driven for a couple of days I press the start button and nothing. Sometimes it might be 10 seconds then it will fire up, sometimes 30 seconds, however today, it took me minutes for it to fire up. I did notice a few clicking noises were being made.

    Once it's started it's fine. I drove into work today and when I leave at 5pm it will fire up straight away.

    Had my mechanic look at it a few months ago but nothing showed up on the scan.

    Any thoughts?

    Check the clutch pedal switch, sometimes they play up. From memory you can see the operation of the pedal switch with a VCDS.
    Current - 2007 B7 RS4 Avant, APR Stage 3, Milltek with Hi Flo Cats, GruppeM intake, Sachs Clutch, Factory Ceramics, JHM Shifter, RS6 FBSTW, AMI & Hi Res RSNE
    Current - 2012 B8 A4, 2.0T Quattro Avant SLine
    Current - 2001 B5 S4 Imola Yellow Avant
    Current - 1989 B3 90 Quattro - 7A NA Engine, (Long Term Restoration Project)
    Current - 1984 Ur Quattro - WR Engine

  6. #6

    Default

    Hey mate,
    Iv'e just had the same problem.
    Thought it was the starter motor but a new battery fixed the problem.
    2000 AUDI B5 S4 AVANT SILVER

    2008 AUDI B7 RS4 AVANT DAYTONA

  7. #7

    Default

    Thanks for the relies everyone. I think first port of call is to get the battery tested and go from there. Given my mechanic couldn't find anything when he scanned, maybe it's the actual starter motor.

    Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk
    Current: 2006 B7 RS4 Avant in Imola

    Previous: 2004 A4 1.8 Turbo Quattro

    APR Stage 1 | Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers | Remus Exhausts | 18" RS6 Reps | Brushed Alum Mirrors | Phatbox | RS4 Pedals | RS4 Gear Knob

  8. #8

    Default

    Definitely get your battery checked first.
    RS4 generally will need a fully juiced battery to fire up the 4.2L.. the clicking is likely the starter automatically disengageing, if the car senses there is not enough voltage it wonít let you keep turning the starter over.
    When my battery went kaput it still held 12.3v so could run electrics a/c etc (if youíve had batteries let go previously you may know an instant tell is usually the central locking stops working- this wonít necessarily happen in the rs4). But it does need the full 12.6v to start the car.

    ps if you drive occasionally only I would recommend investing in a trickle charger also.

  9. #9

    Default

    Yeah I do have a trickle charger, I drive the car probably 4 days a week, it tends to be lazy on the start when its been 2 days between drives (and worse when 3 days). Tested the battery this morning at home and it appeared fine, however want to go to the local battery business to get it properly tested.

    Out of interest, whats a new battery go for?
    Current: 2006 B7 RS4 Avant in Imola

    Previous: 2004 A4 1.8 Turbo Quattro

    APR Stage 1 | Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers | Remus Exhausts | 18" RS6 Reps | Brushed Alum Mirrors | Phatbox | RS4 Pedals | RS4 Gear Knob

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oxblood8 View Post
    Yeah I do have a trickle charger, I drive the car probably 4 days a week, it tends to be lazy on the start when its been 2 days between drives (and worse when 3 days). Tested the battery this morning at home and it appeared fine, however want to go to the local battery business to get it properly tested.

    Out of interest, whats a new battery go for?

    Iím sure Iíve posted before about batteries to suit RS4. Have a search & you should find it


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •