Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014 A4 2.0T Idle Issue

Default 2014 A4 2.0T Idle Issue

Hi All,

I have an A4 with the EA888 gen 3 engine. It has an APR stage 1 tune. It had been running with the tune perfectly for about 18 months and then recently it has developed an intermittent rough idle. It will be idling perfectly when sitting at the lights and then every now and then it will start missfiring and seems to run on 3 cylinders for a few seconds and then it will go back to normal. Sometimes it won't do this for a long time, and other times it will come and go several times as you are sitting at the lights for a minute or so.

The car was due for plugs so I replaced them and no difference. I have access to a Ross-tech cable and pulled the codes. It had some older codes which may have been related, but were from some time ago. I reset the codes and drove the car for a week experiencing the idle issue many times and then checked the codes again and there were no new codes.

Googling around, I see a few issues on various models of the 2.0T, but the EA888 gen 3 seems to have sorted a lot of the issues of prior engines... like the PCV, cam follower for the fuel pump etc. So I am wondering what to do next. I guess the obvious choice is to try ignition coils. I don't mind buying a set if it fixes the issue, but it would be great to get some opinions on this. It would have been good if there was a fault code on one cylinder and I could then swap the coils to see it the fault moves with the coil. It would also be great to have access to a spare set of coils to just try for a couple of days.

Has anyone got any experience with such issues? Does anyone around Sydney by chance have a set of coils I could borrow for a few days?

Cheers,

Adrian

normally with coils you will see misfires in the vagcom/vcds error logs.. You can then swap around the coils, and if the misfires move, then you can be a bit more reassure that that's the problem.

boost leaks and pcv issue are common, especially with a engine that gets hot.. sometimes a small crack in one of the pipes will cause a boost leak..

Following as my 2014 has recently developed a similar issue.

I changed the plugs to the RS7 plugs not too long ago, but didnít change the coil packs at the same time.

It feels like a spark or fuel issue to me as it feels like it almost stalls sometimes and others itís just a rough idle feeling.

I also didnít pull any codes related to spark on Carista, but have pulled a code in regards to the cimatronic control system. Need vcds to look at it more I think.

Iím gonna go back to stock plugs and change the coils at the same time to see if that changes anything and then start looking at fuel filters and pumps if it doesnít.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks guys!

Just for some clarification. When I connected to VCDS, I did get some faults, but some were probably very old. I then reset the codes and drove for a week including some rough idling and I got no new codes. I have included the codes I pulled the first time below. It surprises me the missfire at idle is not generating any new codes after considerable driving in a week.

One thing to mention is that the issue only happens at idle... so never under boost. I believe the PCV should be putting vacuum into the crank case, and when I pull the oil cap off when running, there is a lot of vacuum. Maybe too much? I am not sure how much there should be. The weird thing if it is a PCV/vacuum leak issue is the intermittent nature. I would think a PCV/leak would be more consistent?

With 100k kms on the engine, I am leaning towards replacing the coils anyway. I am more from a Subaru background and we don't replace coils unless they need it, but it seems in this VAG world, they need to be replaced regularly as a consumable?? Is that the norm?

Here is VCDS log:

15074 - Cylinder Disabling
    P130A 00 [096] - -
    Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear

15178 - Cylinder 2 Pressure Too High
    P03A5 00 [096] - -

16988 - Insufficient Engine Cooling / Coolant Flow
    P00B7 00 [096] - -

14846 - Turbocharger Boost Control Position Sensor Circuit
    P2563 00 [032] - Implausible Signal
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 00000001
    Fault Priority: 2
    Fault Frequency: 5
    Mileage: 100568 km
    Date: 2019.02.03
    Time: 07:56:30

Engine speed: 0.00 /min
    Normed load value: 0.0 %
    Vehicle speed: 255 km/h
    Coolant temperature: 25 įC
    Intake air temperature: 27 įC
    Ambient air pressure: 990 mbar
    Voltage terminal 30: 12.089 V
    Unlearning counter according OBD: 38
    Status of charge air pressure control valve basic setting-LV_BPA_AD_REQ[0]: 00000001
    Charge air pressure control valve uncond voltage sensor: 4.4971 V
    Charge air pressure control valve position: target value: 0.00 %
    Charge air pressure control valve position: actual value: 0.00 %
    Charge air pressure control valve activation pulse duty factor: -18.52 %
    Charge air pressure control valve voltage: position closed: 4.4385 V
    STATE_BPA[0]: AD

Readiness: 0000 0000

Quote Originally Posted by vosadrian View Post
    Thanks guys!

Just for some clarification. When I connected to VCDS, I did get some faults, but some were probably very old. I then reset the codes and drove for a week including some rough idling and I got no new codes. I have included the codes I pulled the first time below. It surprises me the missfire at idle is not generating any new codes after considerable driving in a week.

One thing to mention is that the issue only happens at idle... so never under boost. I believe the PCV should be putting vacuum into the crank case, and when I pull the oil cap off when running, there is a lot of vacuum. Maybe too much? I am not sure how much there should be. The weird thing if it is a PCV/vacuum leak issue is the intermittent nature. I would think a PCV/leak would be more consistent?

With 100k kms on the engine, I am leaning towards replacing the coils anyway. I am more from a Subaru background and we don't replace coils unless they need it, but it seems in this VAG world, they need to be replaced regularly as a consumable?? Is that the norm?

Here is VCDS log:

15074 - Cylinder Disabling
    P130A 00 [096] - -

15178 - Cylinder 2 Pressure Too High
    P03A5 00 [096] - -

16988 - Insufficient Engine Cooling / Coolant Flow
    P00B7 00 [096] - -

14846 - Turbocharger Boost Control Position Sensor Circuit
    P2563 00 [032] - Implausible Signal
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 00000001
    Fault Priority: 2
    Fault Frequency: 5
    Mileage: 100568 km
    Date: 2019.02.03
    Time: 07:56:30

Engine speed: 0.00 /min
    Normed load value: 0.0 %
    Vehicle speed: 255 km/h
    Coolant temperature: 25 įC
    Intake air temperature: 27 įC
    Ambient air pressure: 990 mbar
    Voltage terminal 30: 12.089 V
    Unlearning counter according OBD: 38
    Status of charge air pressure control valve basic setting-LV_BPA_AD_REQ[0]: 00000001
    Charge air pressure control valve uncond voltage sensor: 4.4971 V
    Charge air pressure control valve position: target value: 0.00 %
    Charge air pressure control valve position: actual value: 0.00 %
    Charge air pressure control valve activation pulse duty factor: -18.52 %
    Charge air pressure control valve voltage: position closed: 4.4385 V
    STATE_BPA[0]: AD

Readiness: 0000 0000
    Yep mines only at idle as well. On load itís smooth and I have no issues.

It seems to be pretty accepted with GTI/R guys that thereís a vibration at idle, but I suspect youíre like me and never had it till recently which is why itís noticeable.

If you find packs for a reasonable price Iíd be interested to hear where from as I canít find any stockists with the stock packs and overseas shipping is ridiculous. Iíve considered the RS3 packs as theyíre a straight swap for these engines and can be had for reasonable prices.

Vagparts (located in Sydney) have a set of 4 RS3 coilpacks for $219 (+ delivery). That is the cheapest/most convenient I have found.

Mine is definitely a new thing. I bought the car around 40k kms. Tune went in around 50k kms. This idle issue started around 100k kms. Before that it idled fine.

It could still be a boost leak related thing. Does anyone know how to determine how much vacuum there should be at idle? It gets quite a bit. I can remove the oil cap and it is sucked down quite powerfully. When I do this, the idle becomes rough.... but not really the same as the problem I have described here.

Just an update....

I put a set of new RS3 coils on and it made no difference to the problem. So now I know it is not coils or plugs.

Anybody know how to diagnose the PCV system?

Cheers!

Damn I was hoping that would fix it. Might need someone with a vag com to chase it down, but if yours is like mine itís not repeatable enough so would be hard to diagnose.

I only get one code consistently and it is accompanied by an EPC dash light. It is related to the wastegate actuator. I am not sure if that could somehow effect idle, but I am inclined to try and fix that first and see if Idle sorts out? Are you in Sydney? You can try these RS3 coils in yours if you like to see if it helps?

Unfortunately Brisbane. Will update this thread though to see if we can both figure this out.

I had the EPC light last year and the wastegate go in my turbo as well. I got Audi to replace the whole unit under warranty.