Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Real world comparisons puk clutches vs full face and twin disc

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Fairfield Sydney
    Posts
    1,298
    Thanked: 6

    Default Real world comparisons puk clutches vs full face and twin disc

    My build has finally been completed after a rather long build filled with many hiccups.

    Car is now dyno tuned to 240 to 300kw at all 4 wheels on e85.
    Issue now is that the 6 puk clutch masters clutch is not holding to boost in 3rd 4th and 5th.

    I estimate that ive put on 10,000kms or less on this clutch. And only undertaken about 4 high rpm launches circa 5k rpm.

    Im conaidering upgrading to a twin disc full face style clutch, as the super tacky and needle sharp engagement window and style of the puk clutch makes for noob launches even rolling out from a traffic light in traffic.

    Has anyone tried full face or twin disc full face clutches in 240mm or any size really. For 400 hp 300kw range.

    And yes unsure about the torque output as the graph was not displaying .



    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Now > 99 A4 1.8TQ (silver)
    Handling
    KW V3's | Hotchkies Front and Rear Sways | 320mm Brembo BBK |
    Power
    Garrett GT3076r 52 Trim 0.63 A/R| Haltech PS1000 (custom harness PNP) | Piper Ultimate Road Cams | Scat Rods | JE Pistons | Supertech Valve Set | IE Springs Set | Full Race Ex Mani | Custom Enlarged Intake Mani | 1000cc Inj | Zietronix Flex Fuel Sensor | Treadstone TR18 FMIC

    R.I.P > 98 A4 1.8TQ (cactus green)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    9,579
    Thanked: 418

    Default

    Can you run an RS4 clutch?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 1980
    Location
    Back in Sydney (again!)
    Posts
    4,786
    Thanked: 478

    Default

    I'm using a Southbend one... Stage 3 Daily...

    Before that, it had a puk clutch from somebody, but it couldn't hold the power...

    https://www.southbendclutch.com/clutches/4771/

    It's been working fine since installed. Long wear in period, but great otherwise (easy to launch)... I don't do any stupid high rev launches though, the car has enough power to launch normally, then just put the foot down to WOT once the clutch is engaged..

    Looks like they have lots of options for your car..

    https://www.southbendclutch.com/clutches/2747/

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to jnrdavo For This Useful Post:

    Gbomer (March 14th, 2019)

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Fairfield Sydney
    Posts
    1,298
    Thanked: 6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alister View Post
    Can you run an RS4 clutch?
    Do you mean the oem rs4 or an uprated version but made for the rs4 ?

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Now > 99 A4 1.8TQ (silver)
    Handling
    KW V3's | Hotchkies Front and Rear Sways | 320mm Brembo BBK |
    Power
    Garrett GT3076r 52 Trim 0.63 A/R| Haltech PS1000 (custom harness PNP) | Piper Ultimate Road Cams | Scat Rods | JE Pistons | Supertech Valve Set | IE Springs Set | Full Race Ex Mani | Custom Enlarged Intake Mani | 1000cc Inj | Zietronix Flex Fuel Sensor | Treadstone TR18 FMIC

    R.I.P > 98 A4 1.8TQ (cactus green)

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Fairfield Sydney
    Posts
    1,298
    Thanked: 6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jnrdavo View Post
    I'm using a Southbend one... Stage 3 Daily...

    Before that, it had a puk clutch from somebody, but it couldn't hold the power...

    https://www.southbendclutch.com/clutches/4771/

    It's been working fine since installed. Long wear in period, but great otherwise (easy to launch)... I don't do any stupid high rev launches though, the car has enough power to launch normally, then just put the foot down to WOT once the clutch is engaged..

    Looks like they have lots of options for your car..

    https://www.southbendclutch.com/clutches/2747/
    Ill have a quick look at these people , im leaning towards a using a local mob
    I believe there is one company called npc ?

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Now > 99 A4 1.8TQ (silver)
    Handling
    KW V3's | Hotchkies Front and Rear Sways | 320mm Brembo BBK |
    Power
    Garrett GT3076r 52 Trim 0.63 A/R| Haltech PS1000 (custom harness PNP) | Piper Ultimate Road Cams | Scat Rods | JE Pistons | Supertech Valve Set | IE Springs Set | Full Race Ex Mani | Custom Enlarged Intake Mani | 1000cc Inj | Zietronix Flex Fuel Sensor | Treadstone TR18 FMIC

    R.I.P > 98 A4 1.8TQ (cactus green)

  7. #6

    Default

    Puck and multi plate clutches are fairly similar. I will say though that the triple plate OS clutch in my Nissan is a lot nicer to drive than the twin plate Exedy clutch originally in it but that's no real shock as generally more plates the nicer to drive.

    I would go the multi plate. Its going to end up nicer to drive and last longer. It will also hold up to any abuse you throw at it unlike the puck clutch that will slowly die with launching.

    My triple has been down the drag strip an easy 100 plus times behind a 500rwkw RB26. Its got about 15psi of boost in it on the 2 step and gets off the line effortlessly with 7000rpm and a sticky set of radials on it!!!

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Fairfield Sydney
    Posts
    1,298
    Thanked: 6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ido09s View Post
    Puck and multi plate clutches are fairly similar. I will say though that the triple plate OS clutch in my Nissan is a lot nicer to drive than the twin plate Exedy clutch originally in it but that's no real shock as generally more plates the nicer to drive.

    I would go the multi plate. Its going to end up nicer to drive and last longer. It will also hold up to any abuse you throw at it unlike the puck clutch that will slowly die with launching.

    My triple has been down the drag strip an easy 100 plus times behind a 500rwkw RB26. Its got about 15psi of boost in it on the 2 step and gets off the line effortlessly with 7000rpm and a sticky set of radials on it!!!
    Holy wow.. 7k launches .. isnt that tripple OS worth a pretty penny ?



    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Now > 99 A4 1.8TQ (silver)
    Handling
    KW V3's | Hotchkies Front and Rear Sways | 320mm Brembo BBK |
    Power
    Garrett GT3076r 52 Trim 0.63 A/R| Haltech PS1000 (custom harness PNP) | Piper Ultimate Road Cams | Scat Rods | JE Pistons | Supertech Valve Set | IE Springs Set | Full Race Ex Mani | Custom Enlarged Intake Mani | 1000cc Inj | Zietronix Flex Fuel Sensor | Treadstone TR18 FMIC

    R.I.P > 98 A4 1.8TQ (cactus green)

  9. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gbomer View Post

    Im conaidering upgrading to a twin disc full face style clutch, as the super tacky and needle sharp engagement window and style of the puk clutch makes for noob launches even rolling out from a traffic light in traffic.

    Has anyone tried full face or twin disc full face clutches in 240mm or any size really. For 400 hp 300kw range.


    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    PM Falco on here. He's had a few clutch issues and may have something to add to the pot.
    B5 RS4 : Lightly modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Fairfield Sydney
    Posts
    1,298
    Thanked: 6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IchBautAuto View Post
    PM Falco on here. He's had a few clutch issues and may have something to add to the pot.
    Done..and wowee. Good chap that falco.. good knowledge and experience base. Mean arse s4 too.

    Thanks for the suggestion and thanks to falco..

    Going to do some research into the clutch masters 850ss .


    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Now > 99 A4 1.8TQ (silver)
    Handling
    KW V3's | Hotchkies Front and Rear Sways | 320mm Brembo BBK |
    Power
    Garrett GT3076r 52 Trim 0.63 A/R| Haltech PS1000 (custom harness PNP) | Piper Ultimate Road Cams | Scat Rods | JE Pistons | Supertech Valve Set | IE Springs Set | Full Race Ex Mani | Custom Enlarged Intake Mani | 1000cc Inj | Zietronix Flex Fuel Sensor | Treadstone TR18 FMIC

    R.I.P > 98 A4 1.8TQ (cactus green)

  11. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gbomer View Post
    Holy wow.. 7k launches .. isnt that tripple OS worth a pretty penny ?
    When compared to the rest of the car its pretty cheap lol I think it was a $4k clutch 12 years ago, which is how long its been in the car. It pays to also play with slave cylinder sizes as they make a massive difference!!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •