Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: B5 Rs4 Gearbox

Quote Originally Posted by thingo View Post
    Thanks guys, I started with the mounts and the the shifter linkages, as I said I'm a lurker, so I have some idea of the wear parts. they improved a lot of things, but probably made it more obvious there was a problem (or two). The driveshaft is no good but it isn't just that, and just visually I have always been suspicious of the gearbox, it just doesn't match the rest of the car, so I think it is just time to pull it out and have a proper look at it.
    What flywheel is in the car?

Quote Originally Posted by smit2100 View Post
    He was the man for anything b5 gearbox wise. Was not convinced of jhms kits at the time.
    Me neither. Happy I went the way I did.
    B5 RS4 : Lightly modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

I haven't gone to the trouble of ringing Scotty but their website still lists the rebuild kit as of this morning. Appears that you can buy it, I got as far as putting it in the cart without any stock or error messages cropping up. US$1300 though. You did say that you had spoken to him, crossed wires or website error?

https://advancedautomotion.com/shop/...nup8qt1s6pqjn0

genuine 01E Trans Rebuild Kit With Composite Syncros

Complete 01E 6 speed rebuild kit that consists of the following:
    1-2 shift sleeve is a genuine Audi piece. Synchros are forged brass genuine synchros and hold up much better than the cast aftermarket "Performance" synchros. Customer have used these synchros to effortlessly shift at 10,000 rpm in a racing environment. They do not fracture and break like the cast aftermarket synchro rings.

4 genuine updated carbon composite 'F' 3-6 syncros
    2 genune updated composite 'H' 1-2 syncros
    Cryo treated and updated genuine 1-2 shift collar without hub
    Shift shaft seal
    Input shaft seal
    Rear output shaft seal
    (2) front Differential output seals
    (4) 3-6 updated syncro springs
    (2) 1-2 updated syncro springs
    Rear output flange oring
    Front diff cover o-ring
    Shift cap o-ring
    Rear Oil collector oring
    Center section gasket

This kit alleviates the problematic 1-2 collar with a new and improved 1-2 collar and syncro assembly. You'll get crisper 1-2 shifts and added durability.
    B5 RS4 : Lightly modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

I didn’t notice that one at first, only the one at the top that said ‘call for price’, so I emailed him, that’s when he said they weren’t available,as Audi parts were getting hard to find, I swapped a few emails with him and he never mentioned anything being available, though he did offer to rebuild my gearbox so I presume parts are around. The guy I use locally is confident we can sort it out. Jhm sells a very similar kit to the one you linked.

The flywheel is no good, but the noise was there before I put it in.

The flywheel is no good, but the noise was there before I put it in.
    What flywheel was in the car before the current one?
    I assume the current one is a aluminum single mass?

...................... Jhm sells a very similar kit to the one you linked.
    Yea, I mentioned that a while ago. It understand it is the one that is referenced as cast aftermarket, a reason that I and a few others chose the OE route. There are happy customers though so caveat emptor.

Quote Originally Posted by Falco View Post
    What flywheel was in the car before the current one?
    I assume the current one is a aluminum single mass?
    It was stock before, no it was steel, but there’s always been noise, but just working through it.