Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: B5 Rs4 Gearbox

Default B5 Rs4 Gearbox

Hi guys, I know I'm just a lurker here, but I may be in need of a gearbox for my b5 RS4, (FDP is the code I think?) anyone have a lead on one? (in Australia preferably) I'm expecting a rebuild is wiser but you never know.

G'day mate. If you check the sticker in the spare wheel well it will list the code for your transmission

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by thingo View Post
    Hi guys, I know I'm just a lurker here, but I may be in need of a gearbox for my b5 RS4, (FDP is the code I think?) anyone have a lead on one? (in Australia preferably) I'm expecting a rebuild is wiser but you never know.
    I have one but it isn't for sale. I'd say get yours reconditioned, don't know by who as I'm doing my own. You'll need someone who knows the 01E box and you need to think carefully about the options when you do rebuild. The factory released a 1-2 synchro upgrade kit which can be hard to get and also JHM have one which is based on a different philosophy. I chose the factory version but others have gone the JHM route with success and not, depends. Make sure that you get you own box back as the ratios are specific to the RS. An exchange would see you with the S4 box and rather unhappy.

The kit was some $1500 which included all synchro rings when I bought it. Bearings / gear sets etc are always subject to inspection so the cost isn't going to be minor. A good job will see you another 300,000 Km anyway, so for life effectively.

Any un-restored gearbox will be a potential hand grenade anyway so a big call to not recondition anything you bought.
    B5 RS4 : Lightly modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Being as it’s a second hand car you can never be sure of the true history, so until we open it up it’s hard to know what will be needed, but this box has never looked original. I have a 968 so it shouldn’t be too hard to find someone with the necessary expertise. Where did you source those parts? I want to do it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by thingo View Post
    Being as itís a second hand car you can never be sure of the true history, so until we open it up itís hard to know what will be needed, but this box has never looked original. I have a 968 so it shouldnít be too hard to find someone with the necessary expertise. Where did you source those parts? I want to do it properly.
    Got my kit from Advanced Automotion in the US. Pretty well respected outfit. I'd consider doing the hunt around, even local, as US prices seem to be on the way up and the freight charges are away in fairyland compared with a few years ago. My experiences are that lately I've managed to get the bits I need locally at less than the US price for bits landed at my door. That said, many things are only available in the US or Europe so no real choice, but suspension, radiators, service parts have all been cheaper here. Feel free to PM if you have any controversial questions.
    B5 RS4 : Lightly modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Intrigued with the differences between S4/RS4 transmissions. I'm aware that the RS has shorter ratio 3rd & 4th and wide first. Do the later model RS have the flexible main shaft as well?

Quote Originally Posted by jsol View Post
    Intrigued with the differences between S4/RS4 transmissions. I'm aware that the RS has shorter ratio 3rd & 4th and wide first. Do the later model RS have the flexible main shaft as well?
    No they don't. They have the same mainshaft as the S4. Mines a late RS model. Some of the late model S4's had the gearbox oil cooling too. The only real difference with the RS was the ratios in 3rd and 4th like you mentioned.

I was hoping you would chip in. So your late model trans main shaft had the 105 J suffix too?

Also do you prefer the shorter gearing of the RS4 over the S4? Although in this thread Scotty from Advanced Automotion claims otherwise;

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...S4-gear-ratios

There is a bit of he said / she said in that thread. Lots of opinions and a bit short on facts. Got to remember that the factory geared the S4 for 195Kw and the RS for 280Kw and different operating envelopes and frankly other than for someone who is dragging / tracking their car, the difference is minuscule. Personally I feel the RS gearing suits the power of the car but equally, without a VBox I'd suggest that no one would even know.