Thread: A3 8L Starting Issue

1. Default A3 8L Starting Issue

Apologies if this is a common issue but being new to the forum I've been unable to find any related posts.

Bought my first Audi as a runabout and has generally been a good buy until recently when it started to have difficulty starting when cold.

Turn on ignition, wait 3-4 seconds, start and it will either fire instantly or crank for about 10-20 seconds before firing on what would appear to be 2 cylinders. Large plumes of smoke out exhaust and an equivalent smell of unburnt fuel. Idles rough (up/down 2-600rpm) then eventually clears itself and idles perfectly. On odd occasion it will idle at about 1,200 for a few minutes. 90% occurs when cold, 10% when warm engine.

2003 with 127k FSH belts done 12 months ago, last service approx. 2k ago and is run on 91.

Generic scanner(s) bring up no codes (KKL cable on its way)

Spark plugs and leads replaced
    MAF cleaned (was dirty)
    Air filter is clean
    Disconnected battery for 30 minutes to reset ECU.

I've ordered a new coil pack and fuel filter.

Interestingly (and coning from Alfa's I'd assume this is a character building VAG thing) it will (50%) beep when turning on ignition - this does not align with starting issue. I can stop it beeping by using the key to unlock the door instead of the fob.

Thanks for reading and if you think you can help, I'd appreciate any assistance.

could be injectors... leaking in to the cylinders after driving... then too much petrol in there on start up, lots of smoke etc...

Just a guess at this stage...

3. Default

New coil installed - went well for about 10 starts...

Thinking it could be camshaft sensor or crankshaft sensor but with no error codes that's a guess

4. Default

New fuel filter sorted this issue

nice one, one of the 'cheaper' fixes out there for our cars