Thread: 255/45/20 replacement tyres for Q5

Default 255/45/20 replacement tyres for Q5

Hi fellow Audifiles,

After doing months of research I donít believe I am any closer to making a decision on the replacement shoes for my wifeís Q5.

I have a predisposition toward Michelin as they have served me well in recent years. That said they donít seem to be getting any cheaper and there appears to be a large number of cheaper alternatives these days.

I had almost made up my mind to go Michelin Latitude Sports 3. Best price I could seem to find was $360 each for the EL (Tyroola). To be honest not sure what the difference is between the EL, EL to A, or the EL Vol Acoustic. I can guess the latter is supposed to be quieter??

But then there is the Winrun 330 XL..... with 363 reviews all singing their praises it seems crazy to spend more than three times as much. (Currently @ $106ea from Tyroola) Anybody have any personal experience???

Finally as I knew odd sizes can cost a bit more I did a scout for some other adjacent width and ratios nearby. So 255/45/20 is a less popular than the VERY popular 275/40/20. This size had far more brand options to choose from and were cheaper overall. Does anyone perceive any issues going up 20 mm in width? The most Iíve done in the past is 10mm.

Thanks for reading this far!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by bigvissch; May 20th, 2019 at 08:55 PM.

I've previously been very happy with Bridgestone Dueler H/Ps. They have been pretty quiet, have good grip in wet & dry, and worn very well - about 50000ks. I've bought them off Tyresales who have been considerably cheaper than Bob Jane. There is a model designated as AO which supposedly means they are made for Audi. After reading great reviews on the American Audizine forum I am now running 275 40 20s, again from Tyresales. These are an American brand called Atturo AZ850. They were very competitively priced and have proven to be a great tyre.By the way, if you do choose to run the Bridgestones, I have 1 which has done less than 1000ks which can be yours for $150.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Beckem For This Useful Post:

bigvissch (May 27th, 2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Beckem View Post
    I've previously been very happy with Bridgestone Dueler H/Ps. They have been pretty quiet, have good grip in wet & dry, and worn very well - about 50000ks. I've bought them off Tyresales who have been considerably cheaper than Bob Jane. There is a model designated as AO which supposedly means they are made for Audi. After reading great reviews on the American Audizine forum I am now running 275 40 20s, again from Tyresales. These are an American brand called Atturo AZ850. They were very competitively priced and have proven to be a great tyre.By the way, if you do choose to run the Bridgestones, I have 1 which has done less than 1000ks which can be yours for $150.
    Thanks for your input. Much appreciated! Iíll check out the Atturoís. btw what rims are you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

i'm running 20 x 10's, and these are probably a bit too wide for the 275s, 295s would be better!

i may sound like a cheap arse here, but i went with Federals for my SQ5 20in

Only cost me $180 per tyre and i tell you what, there was nothing wrong with them.
    No road noise and grip was fine (i mean its a 2 ton car that you dont throw around alot but still)

Federals are a respected race brand in the states and i use them for semi slicks on my S2.
    I couldnt fault them.
    However i cant comment on the wear rate as i have since sold the car. But they are a firm compound tyre so i would imagine wearing would be decent.
    Current:
    - Audi S2 1993 - Kingfisher Blue - GTX3584rs + E98 = 700 whp

- Porsche Macan S 2017 - Sapphire Blue

Past:
    - Audi SQ5 2013 - Panther Black
    - AUDI S4 2002 - Nogaro Blue - Stage 3+ 249 Kw atw
    - AUDI S3 2001 - Silver -
    169 Kw atw

*Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car and over steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car.
    *Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Thanks guys. Apologies for the slack reply Iíve been flat out with work and travel. I appreciate your input.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Update for all. I ended up sticking with a reputable brand and have purchased Pirelli Scorpion Zeros which came in at $322 a corner fitted. I was pretty happy with that. I also went with a 275/40/20 spec and am very happy with the improved look they give. So far great feel after 300km. About to drive down to Apollo Bay tomorrow so they should get a decent workout.

Quote Originally Posted by bigvissch View Post
    Update for all. I ended up sticking with a reputable brand and have purchased Pirelli Scorpion Zeros which came in at $322 a corner fitted. I was pretty happy with that. I also went with a 275/40/20 spec and am very happy with the improved look they give. So far great feel after 300km. About to drive down to Apollo Bay tomorrow so they should get a decent workout.
    I will add they are super quiet as well (at the moment anyway). They make my Mich Pilot Super Sports sound like a land cruiser.

Quote Originally Posted by bigvissch View Post
    Weíre back from the Apollo Bay trip and as hoped the new tyres and the Q5 performed beautifully. We had plenty of wet and dry driving conditions especially through the Otway Ranges and along the The Great Ocean Road and the tyres were rock solid! Thoroughly recommend!