Thread: Oil grade for B9 S5?

1. Default Oil grade for B9 S5?

I have found many threads on overseas forums advising there is a sticker under the bonnet of the B9 S5's advising that the correct oil grade is 0W20. Our cars don't have this sticker and the owners manual doesn't specify an oil grade (except grades allowed for top-ups in an emergency)

However Audi service put in 5W30. I emailed Audi re this but didn't get a reply. Castrol Australia advised 0W20 Edge is not available in Australia.

Does anyone have any insight as to why an oil grade that is mandatory in the rest of the world is deemed "not required" in Australia?

Audi centre Sydney also put 5W30 in my S4, I've emailed them with the chassis number and asked them to check if it's meant to be 0W20.
    1997 A3 1.8T sold
    2000 TT quattro sold
    2005 Lava Grey A3 2.0 TFSI DSG Sportback, Open Sky, roof racks, Vienna Leather. Sold
    2006 Black A4 2.0 TFSI S-line Quattro Avant Sold
    2009 White A4 2.0 TFSI Quattro Avant, Open Sky roof, MMi+ 19" rims, Bang and Olufsen, adaptive cruse, Oak Beaufort trim. Sold
    2016 A4 Quattro sport Avant, Manhattan Gray, Panno roof, Technik package, Assistance package. Sold
    2018 S4 Avant, Sports diff, S performance package, Technik package, honeycomb grille, Nardo Grey Wrap.

3. Default

Please let us know what response you get.

I asked them why not the Vag recomended 0W20 and their reply was "Yes 5W30 is the oil we use which is approved by Audi." which doesn't tell me much. maybe the 0W20 is for cold climates?
    1997 A3 1.8T sold
    2000 TT quattro sold
    2005 Lava Grey A3 2.0 TFSI DSG Sportback, Open Sky, roof racks, Vienna Leather. Sold
    2006 Black A4 2.0 TFSI S-line Quattro Avant Sold
    2009 White A4 2.0 TFSI Quattro Avant, Open Sky roof, MMi+ 19" rims, Bang and Olufsen, adaptive cruse, Oak Beaufort trim. Sold
    2016 A4 Quattro sport Avant, Manhattan Gray, Panno roof, Technik package, Assistance package. Sold
    2018 S4 Avant, Sports diff, S performance package, Technik package, honeycomb grille, Nardo Grey Wrap.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony M View Post
    I have found many threads on overseas forums advising there is a sticker under the bonnet of the B9 S5's advising that the correct oil grade is 0W20. Our cars don't have this sticker and the owners manual doesn't specify an oil grade (except grades allowed for top-ups in an emergency)

However Audi service put in 5W30. I emailed Audi re this but didn't get a reply. Castrol Australia advised 0W20 Edge is not available in Australia.

Does anyone have any insight as to why an oil grade that is mandatory in the rest of the world is deemed "not required" in Australia?
    Also interested to know as I have a S5 SB coming in a few months...picked up the following off a US website that was posted by Fuchs back in February 2017:

>>Specifications 508 00 and 509 00 concern the so-called "VW Blue Oil" for the latest generations of engines from VW. The specifications demand an oil in viscosity class SAE 0W-20 with a reduced HTHS viscosity of at least 2.6 mPa.s. This allows fuel savings of at least 4% to be achieved. The first of these engines have been available on the market since the end of 2015. Specifications VW 508 00 and 509 00 are not backwards compatible with previous VW specifications. In contrast, specification VW 504 00 can be used wherever older VW specifications for petrol engines are required, for example. For diesel engines, specification VW 507 00 can also be used for the corresponding older diesel specifications. R5 and V10 TDI engines up to model year 2006 are the exception. These engines must be filled with an engine oil according to VW 506 01 (TITAN Supersyn LONGLIFE PLUS SAE 0W-30). For VW engines that require VW 508 00 / 509 00, engine oils with specification VW 504 00 / 507 00 can currently be used as an option.<<

What does the book say relating to viscosity etc as from memory we are a 'hot climate' country and are tuned to suit so maybe this is why we fall back to VW 504 00 / 507 00 standard + we cannot get it anyway as per Tony M's comment :)