Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is ODIS ?

Default What is ODIS ?

Has anyone used or can explain to me what is ODIS, what is VAS, what equipment does it require, what can it do, and how does it compare to VCDS?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ODIS is the Audi dealer diagnostic tool. Runs on a PC and requires a proprietary cable.

Also has some online functionality which newer models increasingly utilise.

For what I understand coming from working with BMWs its more like ISTA software?

Can I use a KKL cable with ODIS?

Im also getting confused as to what ODIS is and what is VAS

I was under the impression that ODIS was the software and VAS 5054A is the wifi dongle ?

Anyone have this for home use .?

IMO it’s not the most intuitive/user friendly diagnostic tool. It has its purpose though.

Compared to what, Vcds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, compared to VCDS and the other more recent offerings (OBDELEVEN etc).

Quote Originally Posted by TYR382 View Post
    I’m also getting confused as to what ODIS is and what is VAS

I was under the impression that ODIS was the software and VAS 5054A is the wifi dongle ?

Correct ODIS is the software and VAS 5054A is the interface (USB or Bluetooth) to your car. You want one with an OKI chipset.

The one i purchased is similar to this. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VAS-5054...t/392299641278

It takes a lot of work to get it setup & going but if you have a bit of IT knowledge you can do it.

I would strongly suggest that you build a separate VM just for it so that once you finally get it going you can move it to a new computer at a later date OR put it on an old spare laptop and keep it just for car work. If your serious about it, alot of indy workshops load it onto Panasonic tough books with the touch screen because that is how the interface is meant to be driven.

Quote Originally Posted by TYR382 View Post
    For what I understand coming from working with BMWs its more like ISTA software?

Can I use a KKL cable with ODIS?

Correct, got a mate into his Beemers and i would say that it is like ISTA in that regard. It allows you to do diagnostic troubleshooting if that makes sense, in that it will follow a logic flowchart.

Beware there is ODIS-S (ODIS Service) and ODIS-E (ODIS Engineering) you want the service one. Engineering allows you to upload to ECU with updates and the like.

No you can't use a KKL cable. I would buy cable that i posted before as you will get the software with it.