Thread: Noobie after a manual B8 (B8.5 if possible questions)

1. Default Noobie after a manual B8 (B8.5 if possible questions)

Hi all,

My name is Shai. I have been looking for a car $10K to 25K, funnily enough... I have been hovering around closer to the $10K mark due to that being where most manual B8's are. Mind you, I am also after a quattro, so the 2.0T.
    I understand the B8.5 is the less flawed B8. I have only seen one B8.5's in manual thus far. I was wondering, is it worth waiting for another one (this one didn't have a sunroof which a non-negotiable)? Or do I just buy the 8 and update the parts? Also, I would ideally love a B8/.5 S4 in manual form, though I read they are extremely rare in Aus. Is that the case?

Happy to take on any tips!

Actually, while I am here... I have seen some 09 quattros with the MMI controls behind the shifter and some under the heating controls. They both appear to be B8's. What is that about?

Thanks
    Last edited by Shezza; June 3rd, 2019 at 05:50 PM.

Not to many mauals around, I saw a S4 wagon that was a special order, it sold quickly and I think it was around $30k. The 2.0T from 2009 and 2011 had a problem with the rings, so ask the owner if Audi have rebuilt the motor as it's an expensive repair, the cars use excessive oil after about doing 80k to 100k's. Some cars don't have MMi and thery were two versions, you could also option adaptive cruise, B and O sound, different grades of leather etc. and sline body kit.
    1997 A3 1.8T sold
    2000 TT quattro sold
    2005 Lava Grey A3 2.0 TFSI DSG Sportback, Open Sky, roof racks, Vienna Leather. Sold
    2006 Black A4 2.0 TFSI S-line Quattro Avant Sold
    2009 White A4 2.0 TFSI Quattro Avant, Open Sky roof, MMi+ 19" rims, Bang and Olufsen, adaptive cruse, Oak Beaufort trim. Sold
    2016 A4 Quattro sport Avant, Manhattan Gray, Panno roof, Technik package, Assistance package. Sold
    2018 S4 Avant, Sports diff, S performance package, Technik package, honeycomb grille, Nardo Grey Wrap.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Phydaux View Post
    Not to many mauals around, I saw a S4 wagon that was a special order, it sold quickly and I think it was around $30k. The 2.0T from 2009 and 2011 had a problem with the rings, so ask the owner if Audi have rebuilt the motor as it's an expensive repair, the cars use excessive oil after about doing 80k to 100k's. Some cars don't have MMi and thery were two versions, you could also option adaptive cruise, B and O sound, different grades of leather etc. and sline body kit.
    Thanks for the reply Phydaux! Well sounds like I best just avoid the early years if I can afford the B8.5! Do some 8.5's also not have MMi? I would want to do the 10.5" upgrade regardless! So the one B8.5 manual available now... It is not my ideal colour, but it is ok, I could live with it. I naturally would prefer a factory sunroof, but I may be open to an aftermarket or letting the whole thing go considering it doesn't have one. If my car still runs and I theoretically can afford to wait for the more ideal 8.5, is there a reasonable chance one might pop up? I expect to hold onto the car for a good few years, so the more ideal, the better.

Basically, I would prefer white or blue over silver. Silver is 3rd most ideal. And of course I would like manual with a sunroof. S-line would be nice, but colour and sunroof is more of a priority I think.

What about a S5 V8 Coupe there are 9 manual ones for sale at the moment. Link
    1997 A3 1.8T sold
    2000 TT quattro sold
    2005 Lava Grey A3 2.0 TFSI DSG Sportback, Open Sky, roof racks, Vienna Leather. Sold
    2009 White A4 2.0 TFSI Quattro Avant, Open Sky roof, MMi+ 19" rims, Bang and Olufsen, adaptive cruse, Oak Beaufort trim. Sold
    2016 A4 Quattro sport Avant, Manhattan Gray, Panno roof, Technik package, Assistance package. Sold
    2018 S4 Avant, Sports diff, S performance package, Technik package, honeycomb grille, Nardo Grey Wrap.

5. Default

Good looking cars! Unfortunately, I really prefer practicality over looks. Big family, 4 door is a must!
    I think I will give waiting a go. I'd love an A4 8.5 in white! Try my luck...

6. Default

Of course that's assuming you think there's a fair chance of one coming up for sale? I can probably wait up to 6 months or so. An s-line would be good as well!

7. Default

The temptation to buy the silver one without the sunroof is strong, please help :/ Want to add a post to the For sale section, is replying a bunch to your own thread frowned upon? :P
    Last edited by Shezza; June 5th, 2019 at 09:00 PM.

Acording to redbook they did import manual A4 8.5s 2.0t quattros into Australia in 2013 so if you're patient enough one should show up.
    1997 A3 1.8T sold
    2000 TT quattro sold

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Phydaux View Post
    Acording to redbook they did import manual A4 8.5s 2.0t quattros into Australia in 2013 so if you're patient enough one should show up.
    Though there could be only a handful? Is there any way of knowing?