Thread: VW 502 vs 504

Default VW 502 vs 504

Can anyone tell me what’s the difference between 502 and 504?
    Iv asked Volkswagen Audi and Castrol and they they are saying different things
    According to the owners manual on a fixed service 502 is recommended alternative 504
    On a flexible service it ses to use 504?
    So I rang up Audi service department and they said that the fixed and flexible service is a Europe terminology, Australia uses kms and year
    So what they told me that the fixed is our yearly and flexible is kms so that they recommend 502 for service
    Intervals. So I called castrol and they only recommend 504?
    So who’s right ?

I only ask this is cause 502 is on sale for 35 bucks and I wanna stock up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not sure but Audi use the long life Castrol Edge Professional 5w30 Link for cars with 15,000k service intervals.
    1997 A3 1.8T sold
    2000 TT quattro sold
    2005 Lava Grey A3 2.0 TFSI DSG Sportback, Open Sky, roof racks, Vienna Leather. Sold
    2006 Black A4 2.0 TFSI S-line Quattro Avant Sold
    2009 White A4 2.0 TFSI Quattro Avant, Open Sky roof, MMi+ 19" rims, Bang and Olufsen, adaptive cruse, Oak Beaufort trim. Sold
    2016 A4 Quattro sport Avant, Manhattan Gray, Panno roof, Technik package, Assistance package. Sold
    2018 S4 Avant, Sports diff, S performance package, Technik package, honeycomb grille, Nardo Grey Wrap.

The 504 oil is for extended drain intervals and you may see on certain aftermarket filters a two year drain interval. If you were going to use that system then both filters and oil suitable for the extended period are required. VAG have in some countries cancelled the extended service option due to poor outcomes and it is now usually 15,000 Km or twelve months max for petrol engines. If you change the oil regularly (inside 12 months) then 502 is fine.

"To keep annual advertised service costs down European manufacturers introduced extended service intervals, VW and AUDI introduced long life servicing pushing services out to two years and over 20,000km, as such they require specific oils and filters. These are expensive but are designed to last longer"
    C5 RS6: Sportec, Milltek & Wagner -- B5 RS4 : tastefully modified -- Audi 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

But what is the actual difference between these oils?
    Are they the same ash content ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting