Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone heard of a 5-speed quattro in a Mk1 TT???

Default Anyone heard of a 5-speed quattro in a Mk1 TT???

Gday all

I'm copying this from the TT forum as there just aren't enough members of that forum to get responses to hard questions...

I'
    ve been looking at 8N (Mk 1) TTs and came across one advertised as a 5-sp quattro. I've been in touch with the owner who tells me it definitely has drive shafts at both ends and has only five speeds. He believes it was imported from Europe (privately, I assume), but I've checked all the spec sheets I can find and there's no mention of such an option. As I thought, all the quattros listed have a sixer, including where the owner bought a 180 HP model but specified the quattro drivetrain which was apparently possible with some of the early 8Ns.

Can anyone shed any light? Is there a VAG 5-speed quattro box for the E-W motor which might have been substituted at some stage?

Thanks all
    MY01 TT quattro 225 Roadster, BAM motor
    MY00 A4tqm - GP Series
    Gorn: MY01 allroad - 2.7TT 6-speed d/r manual

Fanging since the 60s

can you get a VIN number? If so, then you might be able to contact Audi or an independent that can then look up the details...

Thanks Stu. It looks as if it's a 180 (single exhaust and i/c). It was imported at some stage from Sweden and presumably wasn't made in large numbers. At least not large enough to be listed in the various websites listing specifications across the years...

Rarity value perhaps? I don't imagine parts would be much of a problem unless you were unlucky enough to have an issue with the gearbox
    MY00 A4tqm - GP Series

Fanging since the 60s

As a last word on the topic, the odd thing about it is that it's apparently a 2002 model. I would have thought by then Audi would have simplified their model range. Maybe there was a demand in the northern European countries for the lower-powered 180 with AWD to cope with the snow and ice. Now THAT would be fun!! You'd need a fancy Haldex for sure to go with your studded snow tyres …
    MY00 A4tqm - GP Series

Fanging since the 60s

Quote Originally Posted by kermac View Post
    Thanks Stu. It looks as if it's a 180 (single exhaust and i/c). It was imported at some stage from Sweden and presumably wasn't made in large numbers. At least not large enough to be listed in the various websites listing specifications across the years...

Rarity value perhaps? I don't imagine parts would be much of a problem unless you were unlucky enough to have an issue with the gearbox
    Sweden changed from driving on the LH side to the RH side in 1967 so is this (a) a LH drive car or (b) converted. Going on UK cars, it should be rotten underneath from the salt and grit. Not much help on the gearbox but the rest struck me as worth asking.
    B5 RS4 : Lightly modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

Tony

It's RHD, but no explanation as to how this came about. It wouldn't be the easiest conversion...

Audis don't rust. Do they?
    MY00 A4tqm - GP Series

Fanging since the 60s

Tony

It's RHD, but no explanation as to how this came about. It wouldn't be the easiest conversion...

Audis don't rust. Do they?
    Hi Kerry,

In the old days I would have said that Audi were too expensive to rust, but now I'm a bit more educated. I've actually been a bit bemused by the extent of rust in some UK Audi albeit it's been close to 20 years and previous UK cars that I have had would be powder by then so they do pretty well. Other than the usual panels, the UK B5 seems to suffer from the rear damper mounts (which are now NLA) and even broken springs. Both common things that come up frequently. I was just thinking that all the Australian quattro models that have been wrecked with pristine rear damper mounts when they are worth a lot in UK now. When I removed mine and gave them a tub, they were as new, even the paint was unmarked. There is a business opportunity here somewhere.

Re the TT, beggars belief. What ever it is there will be a story behind this one. After my experiences I wouldn't touch an import any more, haven't got long enough to get all the problems fixed.
    B5 RS4 : Lightly modified -- C5 2.7 allroad -- B5 A4 1.8 quattro 132 Kw -- UNIMOG 404 TLF8

TT 5speed manual quattro transmission codes; DXW FHC and FMR.

Quote Originally Posted by jsol View Post
    TT 5speed manual quattro transmission codes; DXW FHC and FMR.
    OK! I checked a couple of tech websites for specs in different countries and this didn't show up. You learn something every day. Any idea which markets these were sold in?

The next question is why a car company with a well-tested 6-speed transmission for its quattro drivetrain (as well as auto options for those who can't change gear unassisted) would also offer a 5-speed.
    Last edited by kermac; August 8th, 2019 at 12:07 PM.
    MY00 A4tqm - GP Series

Fanging since the 60s

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Any idea which markets these were sold in?
    Mexico, Argentina, Europe (no specific Country noted), South Africa & US markets = DXW, FHC, FMR

So pretty much everywhere. The 5spd would be the poor-mans choice in quattro. Selected markets would have the up-scaled versions (AU as an example).
    | GT3076R | ViPec i88 |